Bought a 96 Disco..it's gettin' hot in here!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27554
Bought a 96 Disco..it's gettin' hot in here!!

I bought a '96 Disco last month to run around in for the winter. I have always liked the style and there 4x4 capabilities out of the box, but have heard all the normal horror stories most novice wrencher's complain about owning one.

Putting all that aside I bought the '96 with 215k on it. I know most would say I'm crazy considering the mileage, but I'm going with the theory that it must have been taken care of considering the mileage and the fact that most of the Disco I electric culprits do not exist on this vehicle. The PO told me that the guy who owned it before me was a Rover tech and put all the extras on it. I paid $1300 for it with a ton of expensive add-ons, but it's starting to get hot. I'm guessing head gaskets.

From all the pages and pages of info I've read on these motors it's pretty much a maintenance procedure every 80k-100k. I am cool (pun intended) with that, but I was hoping to get through the winter before having to do the heads especially since I asked the PO about five times if he had any coolant issues. Oh well, he lied. Will not be the first, nor the last while doing the car buying "dickering".

Ok, rant over. My question to the experts are do I source out a lower mileage motor and do the head gaskets while on the engine stand, or do it with the original high mileage motor? It seems that the lower ends are pretty stout.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 161728
head gaskets are not a maintenance item on a d1. if its getting warm but not losing coolant something else is going on. If you ignore it then it could turn in to head gaskets plus whatever else is wrong

Its probably the radiator, but your going to have to do some investigating.
robertf03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 115560
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
head gaskets are not a maintenance item on a d1. if its getting warm but not losing coolant something else is going on. If you ignore it then it could turn in to head gaskets plus whatever else is wrong

Its probably the radiator, but your going to have to do some investigating.
yup.

its a 96, throw a scan gauge on it. the factory temp gauge isn't worth shit. if its consistently running above 195F you're pretty much burning up the head gaskets.
XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Check the radiator for cold spots.

BUY MY BOAT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12499
For the love of God, the sky is falling!!!

1: Fan clutch-call me

2: Radiator-call me

If and only if the above doesn't correct it, headsets-call me.

Rover V8s do not need head gaskets as maintenance items, they need them for dumbass Rover-owner repair.

Don't let it overheat and it will run a LONG time-although yours does need a camshaft.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 27554
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
For the love of God, the sky is falling!!!

1: Fan clutch-call me

2: Radiator-call me

If and only if the above doesn't correct it, headsets-call me.

Rover V8s do not need head gaskets as maintenance items, they need them for dumbass Rover-owner repair.

Don't let it overheat and it will run a LONG time-although yours does need a camshaft.
I took off the goodies and dumped it. I know that morons run them hot due to other cooling issues, but cooling issues are apparently a problem on these vehicles. Christ, every other one I see for sale says it has overheating issues or head gasket failure due to overheating.

The "maintenance item" comment was made as a joke since it's probably a good idea to do especially if you feel the PO was a dipshit. Sort of like cause and effect. IMO opinion these rigs have there place on the trails, but I'd rather have a Toyota to drive daily and beat on at the trail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in