Damper valving - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 533089
Damper valving

Hi everyone,

I think its time I got some appropriate dampers for my truck for comps, I'm looking at bilstein, with 2" body, 14" stroke, but I'm getting a bit bogged down with the valving, at the moment 360/150 front and 340/140 rear (newtons @ .52m per sec). I'm also going to aim for a linear damping force. All this might change when I fit and try them, along with the coil springs, but I have to start somewhere!

Obviously other people have set up suspensions and have been through this and I would really appreciate any comments, advise, tips or discussion on any aspects of this any of you may have and weather the above is a good starting point.

My vehicle is a land rover based 88" hybrid, with standard land rover coil spring suspension setup front and rear, 4.2 LR V8, I am planning to mount the dampers vertically and as close to the axles as poss, with one damper per corner.

Many thanks
Old 09-24-2015, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 120813
Are you in the UK or the USA?
Old 09-25-2015, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 533089
In the UK!

Old 09-25-2015, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 533089
What made you ask?!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 120813
Talk to Paul Jones at Prolinx, he prefers Fox but will probably help.

UK based?
Where else would you find:
  • 88"
  • Land Rover components
  • Comp

100SRV
Old 09-25-2015, 02:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 533089
Thought I add a couple of pics...
The first is from a time trial, the second is after a comp safari (a muddy one!)
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2015, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 42753
What are your sprung weight and spring rates?
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2015, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 533089
Hi,

Wheel base 88"
Kerb side weight 3640 lbs
Sprung front axle weight 1530 lbs
Sprung rear axle weight 1450 lbs
Both axles are live beam
Front axle has 10"/14"of wheel movement
Rear axle has 14" of wheel movement

Many thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 03:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 533089
I suppose it is a bit of a giveaway!
Old 09-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 533089
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100SRV View Post
Talk to Paul Jones at Prolinx, he prefers Fox but will probably help.

UK based?
Where else would you find:
  • 88"
  • Land Rover components
  • Comp

100SRV
I did try Paul at prolinx a little while ago, but they only deal with fox, but I want a damper without a reservoir, (tight on space), and fox only do emulsion where bilstein have a IFP, which I believe is better.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 175908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick SW View Post
I did try Paul at prolinx a little while ago, but they only deal with fox, but I want a damper without a reservoir, (tight on space), and fox only do emulsion where bilstein have a IFP, which I believe is better.
2.0 Factory Series IFP Truck Shock | FOX
fishEH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 03:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 533089
Thanks fishEH,

I've had a look, but they don't seem very popular and I find it's hard to find a chart showing lengths and valving options, where as bilsteins seem a lot more available, but, back to my original question, I would still need to select a starting point for the valving, as I've changed from the original mounting positions and I need a longer stroke. I've always considered fox and bilstein to be about equal, is this the general opinion?
Old 09-26-2015, 05:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 120813
Quote:
Thanks fishEH,

I've had a look, but they don't seem very popular and I find it's hard to find a chart showing lengths and valving options, where as bilsteins seem a lot more available, but, back to my original question, I would still need to select a starting point for the valving, as I've changed from the original mounting positions and I need a longer stroke. I've always considered fox and bilstein to be about equal, is this the general opinion?
Possibly but there is a reason why many racers use Fox / King / FOA and not Bilstein. Perhaps Bilstein / DeCarbon are good solution for modified production (i.e. regulations say dampers are free but original mounts must be used) while the former three find applications in more custom vehicles. I suspect IFP will have greater body length than emulsion or remote reservoir types so this will cause you different packaging problems.

Whatever if you need dampers tuning and Prolinx prefer Fox I suggest you speak to Paul about Fox IFP - I didn't know they existed but have found 12" x 2" Emulsions to work fine on my 100" Bowler. Paul tuned them and it resulted in a more stable car which became at least 10mph quicker around corners than before revalving. He knows his stuff.

If IFP prove to be too long and you don't like emulsion I'd be surprised if he can't make up some remote reservoir dampers to suit your packaging.

100SRV
Old 09-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
whatever

Member # 16003
FOA suck monkeys balls...
ADS racing shocks out of Tucsom,AZ are awesome...
King and fox are outstanding and the thing with bilstien iis unless you deal them directly, you could struggle...

This isn't rocket science...buy some valve stacks and start testing. You will not find a off the shelf solution from anyone
2001 D2 Ruffstuff LC 80 series front/rear/ARB/Detroit, Longs, 37" creepy's, 14" ADS 2.125 Coilovers, 1.6 lt230 w/Ashcroft Under Drive PSC hydro steering Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles...a lot of revisions and a lot of weldin'
1983 110 RHD Pick-up
mongosd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 14136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100SRV View Post
Possibly but there is a reason why many racers use Fox / King / FOA and not Bilstein. Perhaps Bilstein / DeCarbon are good solution for modified production (i.e. regulations say dampers are free but original mounts must be used) while the former three find applications in more custom vehicles. /snip
Don't compare Bilstein stock replacement or upgrade shocks to Fox or King racing shocks. Compare them to Bilstein 9300 Black Hawk shocks to be fair.

The Black Hawks are more than equal to the others, but they are very expensive, which is the main reason, not performance, for more aren't using them.

If you look at Trophy Trucks for example you find some top teams preferring them, or at least that was the case a few years back when I looked.

Last edited by Bush65; 09-26-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Bush65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 73037
Good luck getting bilstein shims when you are trying to tune. It always took 6-8 weeks no matter who I ordered through. "oh, that's Bilstein" was what I always got. How hard is it to stick specified shims in an envelop?
cruiser_moby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 01:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 533089
Thanks for the replies,

100SRV Its great your happy with the emulsions, I'm a bit surprised they work well for you, a bowler 100 should be a competitive machine, I would of thought heat fade would be a problem for you as they don't usually have reservoirs.
The big question for me is what were you using before, cheap bilsteins/decarbon then yeah they would be a huge improvement, almost any thing would be!

So the bilstein 2" 7100's are not as good as fox 2" factory series shocks, and bilstein's after sales support is crap,... so fox it will be.

So I guess I contact a couple of suppliers, see if they can offer a best guess starting point for valving,(the reason for this thread) then start playing to see if I can improve it.

I will try Paul at prolinx again but is there some else out there you guys could recommend, USA or UK, sometimes it can be cheaper to import!

Many thanks

Last edited by Nick SW; 09-27-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Nick SW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
id be more than happy to answer any questions you have. we are a fox dealer and yes bilstiens is terrible to get parts from
Old 09-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 120813
Quote:
Thanks for the replies,

100SRV Its great your happy with the emulsions, I'm a bit surprised they work well for you, a bowler 100 should be a competitive machine, I would of thought heat fade would be a problem for you as they don't usually have reservoirs.
The big question for me is what were you using before, cheap bilsteins/decarbon then yeah they would be a huge improvement, almost any thing would be!
I don't use it for speed events, it is used for green laning and fast road work. I switched to Fox because the lower sprung mass meant that off the shelf dampers weren't valved to suit 1400kg kerb mass with axles weighing 160kg front and 120kg rear.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 533089
That's a light truck, mines only a 88" and it only weighs that little when it's completely stripped down, as in the time trial pic, for comps its up near 1650, and I thought I'd kept mine light.

Although that does include about 150 kg of ballast, including a spare wheel, over the rear axle! a experiment to help make the rear axle travel cycle without bouncing the back of the truck up and down, (its very unnerving when the back of the truck tries to go over the top of your head!!)
Old 09-30-2015, 02:18 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 42753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
id be more than happy to answer any questions you have. we are a fox dealer and yes bilstiens is terrible to get parts from
How do Fox designate the valving in their vehicle shocks?
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
How do Fox designate the valving in their vehicle shocks?
Fox uses the attached chart. It does not have any numerical significance but is a way for people to communicate about the valving.

The non-americans are used to Bilstiens numbers that are actually dyno forces numbers. Being OEM first and then offroad i am sure an engineer somewhere decided that was the way to talk about valve shims.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 533089
I like newtons, being a none American!!!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 14136
Damping force is pretty meaningless to the average Joe, and to them they may as well use any meaningless numbers, so long as results, following testing/trial and error, are repeatable.

From my very remote observations, German companies place a strong emphasis on sound engineering/scientific principles, and damping in force units vs piston speed has valid justification. The suspension has to absorb and dissipate the energy from the motion, and force x distance is equivalent to work/energy.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 120813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush65 View Post
Damping force is pretty meaningless to the average Joe, and to them they may as well use any meaningless numbers, so long as results, following testing/trial and error, are repeatable.

From my very remote observations, German companies place a strong emphasis on sound engineering/scientific principles, and damping in force units vs piston speed has valid justification. The suspension has to absorb and dissipate the energy from the motion, and force x distance is equivalent to work/energy.
A long time ago I started investigating how to improve damping on our Bowler race truck by means of second-order calculations to evaluate responses to step and ramp functions and determine damping rates. I didn't get very far, quite complicated math.

Some years later I was discussing this with the guy who tuned the dampers on my Bowler trail truck, he said the best way to tune dampers was seat of the pants. The driver was the guy who had to trust what his truck was doing and how it responded. Math would get you close but only iteration and judgement would make it ideal to your needs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in