New start L320 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
New start L320

Got a new truck this weekend. 06 RRS supercharged, Lift kit is already ordered. Not sure if I'm going to keep the 20"s and go with 285/55R-20 or drop to a 19" wheel.
Attached Images

BUY MY BOAT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Old Scout; 02-26-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 165977
What do you mean "lift kit ordered"? You just push a button and it goes up. In mine - all the way to extended height as I have LLAMS. Also not just any old 18" wheel will fit over the brakes - you will need GOE Compomotive rims http://www.greenovalexperience.com/#!18-inch-rims/cglk

Garry

Last edited by garrycol; 02-01-2016 at 09:33 PM.
garrycol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Yea Lift kit, don't want to keep her under 30mph!
Attached Images

BUY MY BOAT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 165977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Yea Lift kit, don't want to keep her under 30mph!
No speed restriction with LLAMs up to above offroad height. Just an push of a button even when on the move

No load on the CVs - and normal or lower height when onroad.

Johnson Rods are really old technology and you will have your vehicle jacked up all the time - not good for the suspension.

If you must go the rod route these are a better proposition - normal height when onroad and a higher setting for offroad - far better than Johnson Rods.

Green Oval Experience Land Rover training, Range Rover modifcation

Last edited by garrycol; 02-02-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 42753
LLAMS does what the rods do, but it's electronic with it's own settings to modify the heights.
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
I'm not worried about Cv wear and tear, if you are stay on road! The RRS at +60mm is considerably closer to the ground than my D1, stock height sucks.

BUY MY BOAT

Old 02-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
New shoes, from 275/40-20 to 275/55-20.
Attached Images

BUY MY BOAT

Last edited by Old Scout; 02-24-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 42753
Quote:
New shoes, from 275/40-20 to 275/55-20.
What make/model? The new BFG? Any clearance issues expected at full stuff?

Last edited by Dougal; 02-24-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 165977
Rods will stop the car going down onto the tyres but at the height required, the drive train and suspension components will require regular replacement.

Last edited by garrycol; 02-24-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
BFG A/T KO2
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
Rods will stop the car going down onto the tyres but at the height required, the drive train and suspension components will require regular replacement.
Yea your right, better stick to the mall parking lot. Offroading is just too much ware and tear. I better not swap out my pulley, it just might put stress and strain on my engine!
Attached Images

BUY MY BOAT

Last edited by Old Scout; 02-26-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
No speed restriction with LLAMs up to above offroad height. Just an push of a button even when on the move

No load on the CVs - and normal or lower height when onroad.

Johnson Rods are really old technology and you will have your vehicle jacked up all the time - not good for the suspension.

If you must go the rod route these are a better proposition - normal height when onroad and a higher setting for offroad - far better than Johnson Rods.

I'd rather dump the air system and all of issues than spend a few hunski on a black box. Fox shocks headquarters is only 8 miles away, spending money
on a set of custom coilovers is a better direction.

Jeep - Ford - Toyota - Dodge - GMC - Chevy - Truck Suspension | FOX

BUY MY BOAT

Last edited by Old Scout; 02-26-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
LLAMS does what the rods do, but it's electronic with it's own settings to modify the heights.
IMO , No US vendor, no US support, seems way over priced.

BUY MY BOAT

Old 02-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 42753
Quote:
I'd rather dump the air system and all of issues than spend a few hunski on a black box. Fox shocks headquarters is only 8 miles away, spending money
on a set of custom coilovers is a better direction.

Jeep - Ford - Toyota - Dodge - GMC - Chevy - Truck Suspension | FOX
LLAMS is a lot cheaper than the above option ($AU600). Fox don't have a coil-over option for the L320. The fronts are struts and the rears are air bag in a different location to the shock. Neither of those will convert easily or cheaply to a coil-over setup.

The problem with running at extended height all the time is CV boots don't like it any more than they like full lock turns all the time. Once a CV boot gives up on life the CV joint tends to follow it.

If you go for a selectable option like LLAMS then you're only running taller when you need it. Fixed height rods mean you've got a fixed offset on all ride heights whether you want that or not.
If you go for a fixed height coil option (presuming you can find one) then you're going to lose articulation too as the air springs cross-link to keep wheels on the ground.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 165977
As a 6 year owner of a L320 RRS that is used as an offroad vehicle - I do have just a little bit of experience of these vehicles both onroad and offroad - just a little bit more than some Johnny come lately who has only had one of these for 4 weeks.

I think you are more interested in show rather than out of the car park use - noting wrong with the tyres you got but why stay with 20" with their small sidewall height. Why not go with Compmotive 18" rims which will fit your vehicle and go with the appropriate BFG tyres - much more capable off road with their superior and forgiving side wall height.

You seem to know it all and are not interested in advice - so what more can I add other than I hope you have got deep pockets to pay the tow trucks to bring your vehicle home.

Good Luck with it but if you don't want the air suspension why buy a RRS in the first place, sort of defeats the purpose - just get an old Toyota.

Garry

Last edited by garrycol; 02-26-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 165977
Onroad to offroad in 30 secs

The wheel holes were even deeper than the wheels - even at super extended height

Murray River Mud

Old 02-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrycol:35707578
As a 6 year owner of a L320 RRS that is used as an offroad vehicle - I do have just a little bit of experience of these vehicles both onroad and offroad - just a little bit more than some Johnny come lately who has only had one of these for 4 weeks.

I think you are more interested in show rather than out of the car park use - noting wrong with the tyres you got but why stay with 20" with their small sidewall height. Why not go with Compmotive 18" rims which will fit your vehicle and go with the appropriate BFG tyres - much more capable off road with their superior and forgiving side wall height.

You seem to know it all and are not interested in advice - so what more can I add other than I hope you have got deep pockets to pay the tow trucks to bring your vehicle home.

Good Luck with it but if you don't want the air suspension why buy a RRS in the first place, sort of defeats the purpose - just get an old Toyota.

Garry
So you want me to downgrade my front brakes to fit the 18" wheels?

Real smart old size one.

BUY MY BOAT

Old 02-28-2016, 10:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 42753
Quote:

Real smart old size one.
Nope. The 18" wheels Garry is on about are designed to clear the big brakes.

I can't say that I'd bother with the aftermarket 18's if I owned one. But the option is there. The 20's are only 2" less sidewall than the 1970's 16" and the 20" tyre selection is decent.

Last edited by Dougal; 02-28-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 165977
Quote:

Real smart old size one.
One again this reflects how little you know about these cars. As you are in the US join http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-r...er-sport-l320/ and you might learn something.

I specifically did not say 18" wheels but mentioned a particular 18" wheel - it fits your brakes.

Last edited by Old Scout; 02-29-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
One again this reflects how little you know about these cars. As you are in the US join Range Rover Sport / L320 and you might learn something.

I specifically did not say 18" wheels but mentioned a particular 18" wheel - it fits your brakes.
This is my third Land Rover and nearly 20 years on Pirate. Yea I'm new to the L320 issues. Not new to off road. So how about a little STFU

BUY MY BOAT

Old 03-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 9461
I want to see it with 60/14,40's

- 110 wheelstand pritchet
Old 03-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 40354
Great! truck
Have amazing traction.... watched one of these go up a steep rocky section @ Hollister Hills and made it look effortless.

The Supercharged Rovers have even bigger brakes than the none and cannot accept 18 or 19"wheels.

Old Scout the water business must be treating you right? In Aptos now I see!

cheers!

Nathan (ex now defunct Gold Coast Rovers)
SLOhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 42753
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOhybrid View Post
Great! truck
Have amazing traction.... watched one of these go up a steep rocky section @ Hollister Hills and made it look effortless.

The Supercharged Rovers have even bigger brakes than the none and cannot accept 18 or 19"wheels.

Old Scout the water business must be treating you right? In Aptos now I see!

cheers!

Nathan (ex now defunct Gold Coast Rovers)
Says here they fit all L320's from 05-09 and Old Scouts is an 06. It's only the 10-13 SC models it can't fit:

Which is why they've been mentioned in this thread as an option.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Extended Member

Member # 69765
Quote:
This is my third Land Rover and nearly 20 years on Pirate. Yea I'm new to the L320 issues. Not new to off road. So how about a little STFU
Third? Amateur...

Seriously do not replace the air springs with coils or coil overs of any kind. I have yet to see any kit or hack job that remotely rides nice.

Space the bump stops so when the suspension does die on you, you can still creep along without the tires chewing up the fenders when you are riding dirty.

The pulley upgrade will superheat the air going in, so just be aware that if you are constantly on it you will get timing retarding and eventually a CEL with reduced performance.

Lastly, enjoy off road in style and comfort.
Follow my adventures on Instagram:
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 05:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 366234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOhybrid View Post
Great! truck

I had an '08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged with the Brembo's up front, and wheeled with that vehicle. I also ran 18" rims. It's quite doable, you just need to modify a mounting bracket (if I recall correctly) on the brake assembly slightly to accommodate the rims.

Last edited by DiscoTM; 03-29-2016 at 05:50 AM.
DiscoTM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in