suspension bushings question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 358785
suspension bushings question

So I have read lots of the threads talking poly vs rubber bushings but still haven't really been able to answer this question. Are the blue poly bushes as soft as the genuine bushings? I really don't care too much for the durability since I don't really daily this thing (RRC), though I don't want them to wear out in a few hundred miles.
I am leaning toward going genuine, just don't really have enough info on the poly. If going back to the LR rubber bushes is the ticket then where does one buy genuine bushings? currently I am looking at the rear axle components but eventually I will be looking at doing the front also.
wanderrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 90047
You'll find half a dozen people saying one thing with poly bushes and 6 people saying the opposite. Only real way is to try them yourself and see.

Just remember not all brands are equal and there many compounds. Which is probably why consensus on performance is so varied.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
whatever

Member # 16003
your also going to find that more than likely the OEM are going to be made by All-Makes…
2001 D2 Ruffstuff LC 80 series front/rear/ARB/Detroit, Longs, 37" creepy's, 14" ADS 2.125 Coilovers, 1.6 lt230 w/Ashcroft Under Drive PSC hydro steering Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles...a lot of revisions and a lot of weldin'
1983 110 RHD Pick-up
mongosd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
your also going to find that more than likely the OEM are going to be made by All-Makes…

OR whoever is making them for AllMakes.

Whatever you do, don't buy the bottom of the line offerings. I've found the middle of the road seem to be the best of all.

I'm one of those who hasn't had particularly good experiences with poly bushings.

But, I've moved on to heim joints.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 358785
so here is a rear kit from RN that is like 350 and a "full" kit from AB that is 150, then the blue poly from AB is 199.
In terms of "cheap to genuine" which is which?
I don't know that I can justify the 350 for the rear only so I am hoping that's the expensive kit?

any other options would be much appreciated.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14136
Who the fuck are RN and AB?

As far as poly bushes go there are many offerings that are crap. The only good ones I'm aware of are "SupaPro".

Many so called "OEM" rubber bushes are also crap these days.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 81227
RN = Rovers North
AB = Atlantic British

They are two of the "Big" rover parts dealers in the US. They are pretty over priced on most everything. But for some reason still hold a large portion of the market. Which I can only think is due to their size and name recognition.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
RN = Rovers North
AB = Atlantic British

They are two of the "Big" rover parts dealers in the US. They are pretty over priced on most everything. But for some reason still hold a large portion of the market. Which I can only think is due to their size and name recognition.
They have it in stock and can ship today.

There are some who are willing to wait on me to order something in and there are those who needed it yesterday.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 81227
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
They have it in stock and can ship today.

There are some who are willing to wait on me to order something in and there are those who needed it yesterday.
I find Lucky 8 typically has stuff almost as quickly and is typically much cheaper. Also Trevor @ Rovah Farm typically ships the same or next day and has a lot of items in stock too.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
I find Lucky 8 typically has stuff almost as quickly and is typically much cheaper. Also Trevor @ Rovah Farm typically ships the same or next day and has a lot of items in stock too.
Yet Justin sends folks to me for tech help...
Old 03-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 81227
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
Yet Justin sends folks to me for tech help...
That's because he's a parts vendor not a Rover Tech. Would you ask the AutoZone (or equivalent) parts guy for tech advice? Yet you probably buy parts there. I would not ask the guys at RN or AB to diagnose my issues either.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 153343
The advantage with the originals is that they are a press fit sleeve, so the bored hole is safe. With the polybush you can get worn metal so that you cannot easily go back to landrover metalastic bushes.
On the front there is a two-tube and a three-tube bush. The three tube is stiffer but lasts longer.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 42753
One of my RRC has had poly bushes (superpro - Australian brand I think) in the front radius arms for ~17 years.

No wear (the radius arm bushings don't rotate) and no problems over that time. These are blue/purple and I think do reduce articulation. But I've never had a stock suspension setup to compare them to. My other RRC's are rubber bushing but both with swaybars, one EAS (which cross-link and get full articulation) and the other has the wrong front springs. So neither is a good comparison.

Last edited by Dougal; 03-21-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 358785
super pro looks like good stuff, though I am not sure how I would order them.
from the lucky 8 website they seem to have 3 grades:
all makes
allmakes PR2
and Genuine.
PT do you recommend the PR2's then or is there another midgrade that I am neglecting. based on the price of the genuine bushings I don't think I can afford that route.
PT I am also not really in a hurry here, not sure what options you have available?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 20109
You can get Superpro from a bunch of UK suppliers like Paddock Spares. SuperPro Bushes | Brands - Paddock Spares or find a US dealer... Dealer, Distributor and Fitter Locator - SuperPro
Old 03-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 510146
Quote:
RN = Rovers North
AB = Atlantic British
Remember AB has a price match guarantee, just recently had them match and beat a price from rockauto on O2 sensors.
ArlowCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2016, 03:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 81227
Quote:
Originally Posted by red90rover View Post
You can get Superpro from a bunch of UK suppliers like Paddock Spares. SuperPro Bushes | Brands - Paddock Spares or find a US dealer... Dealer, Distributor and Fitter Locator - SuperPro
You can also buy them on eBay. Mostly AU sellers but they ship world wide.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 358785
Dougal, thanks for the flex info.
I couldn't find a US distributor when I looked at the site originally (and still cant), and the rest of the sea of dealers were all unknown to me. good to know about paddock and ebay. after looking though and learning that the flex maybe limited I would probably choose other bushings. I am sure they are good and all but I don't really care too much about longevity and care more about flexibility.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 20109
They will not affect flex.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 42753
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderrover View Post
Dougal, thanks for the flex info.
I couldn't find a US distributor when I looked at the site originally (and still cant), and the rest of the sea of dealers were all unknown to me. good to know about paddock and ebay. after looking though and learning that the flex maybe limited I would probably choose other bushings. I am sure they are good and all but I don't really care too much about longevity and care more about flexibility.
There are various methods to increase flex. Including drilling holes through the bushings (think revolver pattern) to reduce the amount of material and increase flexibility which in turn reduces the front suspension resistance to articulate.

The downsides however are more axle tramp and reduced bushing life. This vehicle of mine was eating front radius arm bushings (single rubber layer type, not two layer) due partly to the weight of the big Isuzu diesel. These cured that and the loss of flex (very noticable compared to worn out single layer rubber bushes) wasn't a huge concern. In fact the tightening up of the road manners was a significant benefit.

It is possible that better quality rubber bushings or the two layer bushings would have given a similar result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red90rover View Post
They will not affect flex.
Depends on the bushings you have and are comparing it too. My experience has been reduced flex. But if you are either starting with the 2 layer rubber bushings you may not notice the difference.
I know Rick put different urethane bushings in the front of his 130 and posted photos of it flexing out nicely. He does however run much firmer rear springs than my RRC's. This helps force front flex.

Other durometers of urethane may also be available pre-made now but they weren't back then. Urethane is also not expensive to be custom cast and anyone with a lathe can make a mould for their own urethane bushings. Industrial urethane is available in many different durometers.

Last edited by Dougal; 03-22-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in