Full hydro steer on Defender - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 709138
Full hydro steer on Defender

Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone has fitted the full hydro steering set up to a standard Defender axle configuration, I'm thinking of doing this and wanted some input as to whether the axle swivel housings where the hydro steer would fit will be strong enough. I have searched and only found pictures and info of hydro steer fitted to defenders with either Toyota, Dana or Spidertrax axles.
Cheers
Branch.
Branch4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 523289
What pump would you be using? And whatever your current configuration is now (RHD or LHD) you are going to need a knuckle of the opposite configuration so that you can attach the ram to both sides.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 150724
I think the real question should be, "if I need full hydro, will the axles live long enough to make use of it.... ?"

Why full hydro.... how big a tire you trying to turn ?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 709138
Thanks for the replies.
I am currently running 37" tyres with full Ashcroft Transmission internals, I also have a hydro assist system fitted at present but feel an upgrade to full hydro would be a lot better when doing challenge events. I have had little problems with the strength of the axle internals, I was just worried that with the full hydro system fitted the swivel housings would not be strong enough to take the hydraulic forces applied especially where the ram ends will attach to the casting. Hence the search for someone who may have done this already.
Again thank you for the replies.
Branch.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 38070
I have done it and the ninja's ( my boys 11 years old ) like it because they can drive it with out issue
Old 11-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 150724
Maybe chat to Jim at Giggle Pin or Rob at ORA, if your in the UK full hydro will make your truck trailer only & not road legal, needs a mechanical connection between the steering wheel & steering box ;-)
Old 11-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Suzuki/Toyota Parts

Member # 80948
I would try and make another arm.. possibly welding the other arm to the steering knuckle.. or designing something like this.

That way you won't break the steering arm off

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check us out on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on instagram:

#lowrangeoffroad @Lowrangeoffroad

YOUR Suzuki and Toyota Parts SUPER SHOP. Over 7800 Products and Counting.

We ship WORLDWIDE.

Why buy from Low Range Off Road?
We keep records of sales from the day you buy your product. Need a product warranty? Lost your receipt? Yep, we have it.
Low Range is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9461
I echo earlier sentiments about needing full hydro with your setup. The advantages are not really apparent with your tire size and intended usage. If you were crawling on slickrock with the diff locked on stickies then maybe yes that would be worthwhile.

It won't track straight on the tarmac (or dirt lanes for that matter), 0 return to center. If your pump fails you have almost 0 ability to turn. If a line breaks you have 0 ability to turn.

I run mine with the front and rear lockers on driving down the street so it will track straight.

That said, I know the 300tdi PS pump is up to the task. I run my mog axled Defender on 40's with full hydro powered by a mildly tweaked pump.

- 110 wheelstand pritchet
Old 11-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 709138
Thanks all, after considering your comments I think I might have a play with the assist system I have fitted and try to make it a bit more effective possibly try a new uprated pump. I really do like the idea of full hydro but don't want to be swapping axles, I thought someone would have tried it on the defender axles though.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 150724
I think the general consensus is if you need full hydro then you need better axles, either ton's, 609's or something from Spidertrax. Any of those will make things much easier with the huge supply of after market support.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 15924
I wore out panhard rod bushings very quickly until I went full hydro. That is really why I didn't stop at Hydro assist. i guess a double ram hydro assist would have done it, but with full hydro I could also get rid of the drop arm and steering box, which allowed me to increase up-travel.
Not on defender axles, though, more as a comment on why to go for full hydro.

Tobias

"Road salt is like the automotive equivalent of chain smoking unfiltereds and guzzling Jack Daniels...might make ya feel good for awhile, but there's shit going on inside that you don't want to see." ProsQtor
tobbjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in