FJ40/60 Axles under SIII 88" - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 101493
FJ40/60 Axles under SIII 88"

I just picked up a 72' SIII 88" LHD, that I'm doing a bare frame/bare metal rebuild on.
I'll start a build thread after bit lining out the things to be done on her.

But I just did some down and dirty quick measurements of the LR axles and a set of FJ40 and FJ60 axles I have that I've stripped down to bare housings.

Whit jut the quick tape measure check I think if I use the FJ40 front axle with Dave Gore's (4Plus) 2" front housing sleeve it will line up the pumpkin real close to where the LR one rides. Or might use the FJ60 front housing with Dave's sleeve for a better WMS to WMS.

I've already removed to flanges off the FJ60 rear housing, ready to slip Ruff Stuff's Disc conversion flanges onto the factory machined end of the housing.

Tomorrow We're lifting the 2.25 gasser out of the frame and pulling the axles and springs off & apart, then I'll take some good measurements.

But I think with Dave's sleeve spacer and Ruff Stuff Disc flanges, the pumpkins will end up right where the are now stock. It will give a little bit more width to the axles, but that's a good thing as I was going to have to use wheel spacers with the LR axles.

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

She's getting a 200 Tdi, short bell housing R380 5 spd with Ashcroft's adapter kit to the rebuilt Series III TC with early SII low range gears.

The nice thing about using the 200 Tdi, Stumpy R380 & Series TC is all this fits nicely into the SIII with minimum hacking and struggle. Would get a custom set of high angle drive shafts with the appropriate flanges on each end and it would make a nice set up. nothing real extreme, but strong and not very expensive.

Cheers, Allen

Well crap, I was hoping to not need to ask this question... But where is a thread that explains how to post pics?

Last edited by abosely; 01-19-2017 at 10:55 PM.
abosely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 14136
I haven't posted pics for a long time so my memory may be a little off, but basically, when you are writing a post there are some icons on the edit window. Click on the icon that shows two hills and follow the prompts.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 17550
I've done this with LC60 axles into a LWB. Its as you say. The front you can make work but there its a push.

I also did a power brakes and power steer conversion using LC60 parts. For propshafts its just a 1310 Tom Woods shaft with Toyota at one end and LR at the other end - Mine has a V8/ZF/LT230 in LWB, so the flanges may be in slightly different spots than yours.

Its not driving yet.

The build is here:
Ute2 Reincarnation - www.slunnie.com

Old 05-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 101493
Well I figured out how to modify FJ60 axles for the SIII. Going with 300Tdi, and Series IIA bulkhead.
I posted up some info about the build and asked if anyone would be interested in a build thread.

Cheers, Allen
Old 05-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 48054
Cool, post pictures when you're done. I put some fj40 axles under my 2a/3 hybrid with 200tdi.
Macker01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 101493
Hey macker01, can you post some pics? Did you modify them?
IV started a build thread on it here. I'll try to get some pice up to show the general idea of the mods.

I hope to get the axle housing ends machined in next week or two.

Cheers, Allen
Old 05-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 48054
I didn't modify them, aside from cutting off the stock spring perches and re-welding them where I needed them. All I did was machine the steering drop arm and the stock drag link tie rod out to accept Chevy 1 ton tie rod ends, since I couldn't machine the land rover stuff to accept the stock fj40 tie rods. With parabolic springs (under) I had no clearance issues so I left it all as is. I used some "blank" differential flanges and had them drilled to accept land rover driveshafts. Ignore the arrow on this picture. I will see if I can find anymore, I ended up parting this truck out. The axles are now under Series 1 which lives somewhere in NY I think.

Last edited by Macker01; 05-10-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Macker01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in