1996 Disco - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 327634
1996 Disco

Hey guys, I've got a 1996 Discovery and unfortunately it is not passing smog . I'm humbly asking for your help. So far I've changed two O2 sensors and have put off changing the sensor that's near the headers as it looks like a bitcharooni to change (I'm lazy). I forget the obd2 code but it was for the O2 sensors and I took it to smog and it failed. The mechanic asked if I had changed any sensors (I said yes) and he reset the system and told me to drive it around for a bit because maybe the computer didn't pick them up. I was advised to drive around for about one hundred or so miles and then return.
Are there any measures I can take to almost make certain that I've done everything to allow it to pass? If you've read this far thank you and I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.
--Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2017, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 700186
Where are you located?
Buck Wild Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 327634
Central California

Old 06-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 700186
Bummer. If it was socal I could have helped you with relationships.

Without know what's really wrong I can't comment on what you need to fix. Sorry.
Buck Wild Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 327634
No worries Buck, thanks for the offer. I think I just need to do some more detective work lol It wouldn't be fun if it were easy
Old 05-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 606561
The sensors near the headers are the more important ones unfortunately. They directly impact the fuel mixture in the truck. I would highly recommend purchasing a wifi or bluetooth obd2 adapter off amazon or ebay. You can use an app called torque or something similar to monitor any check engine codes, as well as the self tests that the ecu must complete before it is ready to be checked. My truck took almost 2,000 miles to complete these tests (something was slightly off, but i gave up in order to avoid throwing money at it). If any of the self tests take a while to complete, there is normally a corresponding action that the engine has to do in order to pass the test. For example, one is driving at 60mph for 5 minutes or so if i remember correctly. Post any results you get and we can help further, good luck!
kartcrg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in