Robbies slightly less boring d1 build round 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 144332
Send a message via AIM to mdlimy55
Robbies slightly less boring d1 build round 2

Letís try this again! This was gonna be pretty basic build but since I finally have a pair of fzj80 axles in my possession, I figured itís about time for a build thread.

Picked up this slicktop, cloth interior, manual seat, 5spd d1 for $500 several years ago.

Swapped a 300tdi about a year ago and have been tinkering around with it. Put some medium duty TF springs and shocks along with some 1Ē spring spacers under it.
Whipped up a quick front bumper like my last one.

Found out the Chinese dual pass radiator was built without a baffle, which caused some overheating issues. After checking EVERYTHING and even replacing the hg, I finally pulled the brand new radiator out and cut it apart. Welded in a baffle and all was cured.

Stuffed a billet wheel in the turbo, did some pump tweaks and it scoots pretty decent now.

Found a nasty crack in the intake runner of cyl4 letting coolant into the cylinder. Not worth welding up, slapped a britpart new head on it, looks decent, weíll see how it holds up.

Next up is fzj80 axle swap with 36s or 37s.
Might as well link it while Iím in there.

As of right now I want to keep it on the road, so it needs to drive half decent but I donít think I want to stick with the radius arms, just too much left on the table.

Blah blah blah letís get to the fun pirate stuff....
Lets talk links. Stick with the a arm rear setup with some tweaks? 3 link or
4 link front? The single downpipe from the 300tdi frees up some space for link mounts compared to the v8 setup.
Initially I am thinking 3 link with panhard in the front. Keep the a-arm in the rear(redo the axle joint) and redo the arms with dom and proper joints.

A recap of the last shitbox here

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land...topics/1091660

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mdlimy55; 12-26-2019 at 09:43 PM.
mdlimy55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in