Deer Valley and Strawberry trails - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 102604
Deer Valley and Strawberry trails

What is the latest status on the opening of these two trails. Last I recall Deer Valley was to open this summer once the frogs leave the trail, and Strawberry likely closed all year.?

Thanks for the update.
Twice Scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12635
I can only speak to Deer Valley. It has been closed for years to through traffic. You cannot cross the second water crossing. I have been reminded that the latest agreement places barriers quite a distance from the water crossing as too many people we not obeying the closure.

Just yesterday, I heard back from Fish & Wildlife. The draft response to the ENF has been written. (They didn't send me a copy.) It still needs to be reviewed and finalized.

Quote:
We have a draft of the BO for the Deer Valley trail under review in the office. As to when it might be issued, that will depend on the results of this initial review and whether we feel we need additional information from the Forest Service. It is typical for BOs to undergo some redrafting after initial review.
We don't know if it agrees with the ENF plan, if it asks for more information from the forest or if they say no, start over.
North Tahoe Trail Dusters
Tahoe Donner 4 Wheelers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Simple Man; 06-30-2016 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added quote
Simple Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 102604
Thanks for reply. I used to have a link to the ENF website with current status on these trails. Do you have that link? Thanks.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12635
Eldorado - Home

ENF road & trail status page

Edit: Strange that the Richardson Lake Trail (14N39) is not mentioned on that page. It is open to the summit.
Tahoe Donner 4 Wheelers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Simple Man; 07-07-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
Edit: Strange that the Richardson Lake Trail (14N39) is not mentioned on that page. It is open to the summit.
Yay to us.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 87837
Strawberry is still closed and likely will be all of next year as well. Signs are in place at both ends.

There are plans to get a forest service road engineer up there this summer so they can estimate amount of work needed and verify there is equipment access.
-97 zj, running
-05 Rubi LJ, almost running
kjolof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 102604
Strawberry - 5 years or so closure they are finally going to look at it. The FS has no funding. Any solutions will result in continued closures. Really a sad state. Nothing happens fast with the FS, other then making decisions on closure.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice Scrambled View Post
Strawberry - 5 years or so closure they are finally going to look at it. The FS has no funding. Any solutions will result in continued closures. Really a sad state. Nothing happens fast with the FS, other then making decisions on closure.
its called 'management by closure' a lot easier than actually 'managing' the public ROW.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 102604
it is not right.

My job involves the Forest Service. We are trying to meet requirements that are legally established by the FS, requirements that we agreed to. We are behind, partly because, the FS cannot make decision. They want more, but no $$.

Something really needs to change. Closure of a historical public trail with no timely resolution of the claimed issue, is not right. I have done Deer Valley for 35 years. The meadow are in much better shape than the old days - people now tread lightly Trail should legally stay open while the FS determines what is actually needed and funds (with our public money) a solution.

Deer Valley does cross a river twice. Strawberry is still closed, and as far as I know no creek crossing. Sad.

Hate to say it, but should make all the trails county roads, so like the Rubicon at least they stay open.

Last edited by Twice Scrambled; 08-02-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 198081
Deer Valley and Strawberry trails

I was up there a couple weeks ago talking with a FS gentleman and the trail has been adopted by an off-road group and they are working on the trail to fix the problems and the FS said that it should be completed by Summer's end and open next year. Just what I was told.
DFFabrication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 102604
That is great news. Hope it is true. I thought we were still in the "study" phase, so nice know in the final stretch. Sure would be nice to be able to use both of these historical trails. I first did them 35 years ago..., and miss them.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice Scrambled View Post
That is great news. Hope it is true. I thought we were still in the "study" phase, so nice know in the final stretch. Sure would be nice to be able to use both of these historical trails. I first did them 35 years ago..., and miss them.
Mike, ill be up 'near' there on 8/20. Pm me if ur close by...

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

Old 08-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 12635
The South County Trail Riders (I think that's the name) have been the adopters of Deer Valley for years. They are ready to do anything the FS will allow them to do as far as maintenance is concerned.

I have not heard that any work has been allowed on the trail due to the closure. The work we would like to do is drop rock to harden the approach and departures of the two water crossings in order to minimize erosion.

To be clear, there is no work REQUIRED in order to open the trail, we just need Fish & Wildlife to sign off on the FS plan and then to push it forward. Read as two months of paperwork.

I'm not trying to burst any bubbles but I want good information out there.
Tahoe Donner 4 Wheelers

Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Quote:
The South County Trail Riders (I think that's the name) have been the adopters of Deer Valley for years.
that is correct

Quote:
To be clear, there is no work REQUIRED in order to open the trail, we just need Fish & Wildlife to sign off on the FS plan and then to push it forward. Read as two months of paperwork.
this is also correct
Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 102604
I have a military trailer and ready to haul loads of rock from Blue Lake to both river crossings. Let's get this trail open.

We plan to camp at Hermit Valley this weekend and hike into the main camps at the river. Over the last few years the trail was not blocked off nor any signs up stating closer. I truly hope it is formally blocked so it is closed.

Let's work together to get this great, historical, family trail open. It really is one of the best.

If a work party gets established, please PM me and I will be there.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 117547
From one of my friends that was in the area. As of a couple weeks ago there were no signs stating Deer Valley was closed at all or anything placed to block the trail.
N6FZY
FuzzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 225516
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZ View Post
From one of my friends that was in the area. As of a couple weeks ago there were no signs stating Deer Valley was closed at all or anything placed to block the trail.
And there should not be a closed or locked gate!!!!!The best part of the trail is from hermit to the top and there is no reason to block that off and for Christ sake there is no reason for any of this trail closure crap!!!!
rochead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 102604
We camped at Hermit and hiked to the river and back. Damn that was a long 8.1 miles round trip. No way you would know the trail was closed. Not signs anywhere. We did notice dang frogs on the trail.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 12635
The Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's just held out Poker Run this past weekend.

We ran the very small group of participants in from Highway 4 to where the trail is officially closed and turned around the group and ran back down to Highway 4. They got to do the hard part twice. All very legal.

Signage and enforcement has been weak over the years. It is my understanding that the FS has contracted with the Alpine Sheriffs to patrol the area trails.

I'm still hoping to get the trail open this season if only for one weekend. If it happens, I'd like to see some trail work done so it can harden over the winter so the trail is ready for 2017.

Tomorrow, I will call F&W and see if I can figure out where we are with their approval of the FS plan.

Stay tuned.
Tahoe Donner 4 Wheelers

Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
In for helping on a workday, if schedule permits!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 31612
Me and a buddy ran into the Hi-Lo's coming out as we were heading in. Not sure I'd use the words 'very small" to describe a group of 20+ rigs. But you guys were spread out so it was all good.

Haven't crossed the creeks in several years. Just go in / out via highway 4 for the harder southern portion of the trail.

I was surprised that there were no notices posted. Last year they were at the trailhead as well as on message boards around Lake Alpine.

Sunday morning lots of motorcyclists were running the entire trail north to south. Guess it''s only closed for us?

98 TJ, 60/44, 37" Iroks, ARB's, 5.13's, blah, blah, blah, etc.
patfo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfo View Post
Me and a buddy ran into the Hi-Lo's coming out as we were heading in. Not sure I'd use the words 'very small" to describe a group of 20+ rigs. But you guys were spread out so it was all good.

Haven't crossed the creeks in several years. Just go in / out via highway 4 for the harder southern portion of the trail.

I was surprised that there were no notices posted. Last year they were at the trailhead as well as on message boards around Lake Alpine.

Sunday morning lots of motorcyclists were running the entire trail north to south. Guess it''s only closed for us?
Nope....it's closed to them too. Had they gotten caught by the FS it would have been just more ammo for the FS to put up a gate and close the entire trail...

The forest service says that you MUST obey the Motor Vehicle Use Map, just because an area is NOT signed or gated, does not mean it's not open. And if you are caught on closed route that's not on the map, you CAN NOT use the defense "well...it was not gated!" or "There was not a closed sign!" That will not work because they specifically say that there does not need to be a sign to close off a route or area.

Last edited by Kurtuleas; 08-23-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
Nope....it's closed to them too.
When did they close the whole thing? Last I understood, it was open excepting the water crossings.
LYIN' KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYIN' KING View Post
When did they close the whole thing? Last I understood, it was open excepting the water crossings.
That is correct.
only the center section is closed to all motor vehicle traffic. you can still access the trail from both ends, just not all the way through
Old 08-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDWUN View Post
That is correct.
only the center section is closed to all motor vehicle traffic. you can still access the trail from both ends, just not all the way through
IIRC Blue Creek is legal to drive across, just not Deer Creek.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in