I need your help! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
I need your help!

I am requesting everyones help to reopen a critical part of my local trail system.

Please go to the link below and post a quick comment requesting that the trails be repaired and reopened for motor vehicles and stress the importance of vehicle access to our national forests.

https://cara.ecosystem-management.or...?Project=50298

The Story-

In 2009 some of our local forest roads were closed due to fire and subsequent flooding the washed out several portions of the roads. The roads provided important access to a more extensive network of ohv trails and campsites beyond it.

Fast forward to 2017, 8 years later the trail is still not open. We have waited patiently for the forrest rangers to conduct their ecological surveys etc, ect.

Finally they just proposed a "restoration project". I was so excited when i saw this thinking they were finaly going to reopen our trails after 8 years. However i was shocked when i started reading the project proposal and their proposed solution was not to repair or re open the trails but to instead close them permanently to motorized vehicles and reclassify them as non motorized use only!!!

To add salt to the wound, they are also proposing to decommission/close several campsites that have nothing to do with the damaged roads!

What this really boils down to is the environmentalists do not want to disturb the environment in anyway, that includes repairing or building new roads. and of corse they would love to close down the forrest to off roaders and campers.

Please Help!
jri93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 166763
Done
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSnow View Post
Done
thank you! I really appreciate it. I hope more people follow.

Part of the problem is that most people have no idea this is even going on. The ranger district does nothing to let people know so unless you are constantly searching their website for information you would have no idea this was happening. If no one knows and no one comments then they will go ahead and close all the trails!

In case anyone was wondering, these trails are located on the Central Coast of CA in the Santa Lucia ranger district, part of the Las Padres National Forrest. We have very few OHV trails around here so keeping the ones we have is extremely important.

I want to be able to take my kids camping some day at the same places my dad took me, however if they succeed in closing this down, that is not going to happen.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133544
You are screwed, They rarely "re-open", Remember this next time the local land manager asks for input as to what trails should remain open, once the trail is in the "inventory it is Totemed for closure and it will happen...
Crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisbee1 View Post
You are screwed, They rarely "re-open", Remember this next time the local land manager asks for input as to what trails should remain open, once the trail is in the "inventory it is Totemed for closure and it will happen...
I know, its definitely is not looking good. but i am not going down without a fight. Or at least letting them know what a disservice they are doing to us. The more people that comment, the more they will see that the public does care about their rights to access public lands.

Last edited by jri93; 04-25-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133544
Good Luck. Wheel it while you can.
Crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisbee1 View Post
Good Luck. Wheel it while you can.
It has been closed for the past 8 years while they conducted "environmental impact reports" on what it would take to repair the washed out portions of the trail. Now they released their proposed "restoration plan" and the plan is simple to close it permanently and change it to non motorized access only.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 166763
Like it's been in here mentioned before "Tooth and Nail for every Trail", losing 1 trail makes it easier to lose many more.
Gotta let our voice be heard no matter where the trail is.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 97797
If the F.S. is unwilling to do what's needed to reopen the current routes, push them to provide an acceptable re-route. Offer volunteer help and suggest that they submit a grant request next year from the OHMVR Division grant program to cover costs.

Ride on
Brewster
CORVA
Brewster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster2 View Post
If the F.S. is unwilling to do what's needed to reopen the current routes, push them to provide an acceptable re-route. Offer volunteer help and suggest that they submit a grant request next year from the OHMVR Division grant program to cover costs.

Ride on
Brewster
CORVA
Thanks for the advice. Also, if anybody is involved with any 4x4 groups, particularly in CA i would appreciate if you share this info with them in case they want to get involved or can at least spread the word. We need all the help we can get!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
zen as fuck

Member # 115122
Done.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcxt View Post
Done.
Thanks!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cruiser Driver

Member # 190268
Comments done!
JB
JB Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cruiser View Post
Comments done!
JB
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
UPDATE: Over a year after the Forest service submitted their proposed action to close down all of these trails, they have re submitted 4 new alternative plans thanks to the public outcry to keep the trail system open. One of the plans, Plan # 3, is to reopen all the trials to the original status before the fire and flood. This is what we want!!! they just opened up a 30 day public comment period on the proposed plans.

Please go to this link and submit a quick comment in favor of plan # 3

thanks!!

https://cara.ecosystem-management.or...?Project=50298
Old 07-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
Done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scooter2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2374 View Post
Done.
thanks!

It is pretty exciting / encouraging to see that the Forrest service is actually listening to the public opinion. I am very hopeful that thanks to everyone comments, we might actually see this trail system once again open.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 166763
Done
Old 07-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSnow View Post
Done
thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in