CREEDE, CO - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 868426
Where to Wheel in/near Creede, CO

Hey all, I'm new to Pirate 4X4 but have been around. I do all my own automotive work when I have the time and money, so I also know my way around wrenches, good to meet ya!

I live in Bailey but want to get out and about more. My cousin is a musician and is playing (guitar) in Creede in a couple weeks. A buddy and I want to get on some trails, but all we're finding is "groomed" dirt roads, hence the colorful description in my profile hahaha. I'm not extremely lifted, just the (1.5?) factory lift on my particular Runner, but I know my way around the trail, so hit me with a real challenge you guys! I see lots of different stuff in that area but can't find anyone that's been on any of it. Anything you can tell me would be great, thanks a bunch.

EDIT: I'm rollin in a '95 4Runner SR5 with the factory lift, no running boards, custom rear bumper with tire carrier and the ole 31 ten fifties

-D

Last edited by DDawg; 05-18-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Better title
DDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31211
The guys in my family go out there every fall for "Mancation." Fishing, hiking, biking, golf. We usually wind of going down FS roads and such to go fishing or biking. I personally, have not seen a lot of actual difficult trails. BUT, you can get up high into some really cool areas. It's just not rock crawling.

If you run across some actual rock crawling trails though, let me know cause I'm happy to bring my crawler to my family gathering if there is something worth wheeling hard.
charlieboyd65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 868426
Copy that, thanks Charlie. I see a lot of fire roads and otherwise forest service roads on various maps, but it's difficult to tell if they're super groomed or if they'll be blocked off or what have you. I'll definitely take what you say to heart, it sounds like you've been out there quite a bit. I suspect that if anything is labeled a forest service or fire road that it HAS to be somewhat groomed to allow firefighters and such up there without a ton of difficulty right? Kind of a bummer to spend the money on gas for my rig if I can drive the same "trails" in my car ya know? Where I live we have a "trail" called Slaughterhouse that's like that. I didn't have my Runner at one point when my wife and I drove up there to scout for deer hunt in my '04 Corolla. When we came back down we ran into a Forest Ranger that almost choked on his sandwich laughing so hard, couldn't believe we "made it" up there. I know, I use a lot of quotation marks, I have a hard time taking people seriously about the way they talk on some of these "trails" nowadays. If a car can do it....I dunno man, I guess I'm a hater lol. I want some scenery where only true 4X4's can go. Looking at "the Google," do you reckon you've ran all of the marked stuff?

I may just take the plunge and do some looking in person in Creede, maybe that's the ticket. We figured we'd hit the bar and talk to some locals, maybe find some inside info on where to go that's got some true difficulty if we can just convince them we know how not to destroy the landscape. After I posted originally on this my friend and I were talking specifically about that, that people have gotten a lot of trails shut down in Colorado because of various types of bad behavior, it's really a shame. If your rig can't make it, turn around and for the love of everything good and holy, STAY ON THE TRAIL MAN!!!

Anyways, thanks again for the reply, what kind of setup do you run? Is it still okay for the highway or do you trailer it? If I find a gem while I'm there I'll most definitely post it. In the meantime, maybe someone's got a secret or two to share!

-D

Last edited by DDawg; 05-18-2019 at 05:29 PM.
DDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in