I need help re-opening a trail - Jergins... - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Thanks for the info Keith. The road from what I understand began as an old access road to get lumber down into the river canyon along with 4 others in the area. The road itself does show up on various maps as Boulder Mine Rd but does not extend the full length of the remainder of the trail. The important part is that the Boulder Mine Rd portion of the trail, the beginning, runs through the properties that have since blocked access. I am working on acquiring some old plat maps and working on researching some deeds and easement documents in the area. But like I said earlier, this is not going to do anything without a court date. This has already been done by miners who used the trail to access their claims. They lost access to about a couple days of the year they are able to access the claims. They no longer use the trail from my understanding. Essentially, BLM claims the trail is now closed under there South Fork of the American River Management Plan, the plan is ambigous in there statement regarding OHV use of the trail. So, say there is a documented easement in the land deeds or we prove prescriptive easement. The BLM side is closed as well and that is a whole different animal. What this has allowed is the BLM to increase there control over the managed lands and more specifically the rare plants in the Pine Hill Preserve without actually doing it themselves. So until something drastic changes the trail will forever be closed.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Hiked down to the confluence yesterday to do some fishing. Its absolutely beautiful down in the canyon this time of year. Still seeing vehicle use through the Kanaka Valley side which is of no surprise to me. I ran into a property owner from the private residence above while I was down there and he was a little upset I was using his "backyard". Its just a shame this is the mindset of property owners around this area. Anyways, after being down there I realize this area needs its access back, its that special.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 347
I spent more time and more miles on my car participating in the BLM's South Fork management plan, and helped with several cleanups / service days. I miss that area.

If you find anybody from Kanaka Valley, and they cop an attitude, see if they'll spill name and contact info. I can look back and see which of those 'stains lobbied during the management process to shut off OHV access, ostensibly out of concern for fire-safety. We knew at the time that KV owners were OHV-ing down to the river with regularity, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they still were, regardless that BLM's plan excludes the use. It would be moderately amusing to execute a citizen's arrest on the lawbreakers that help close off access to others so that they could retain exclusive use.

Randii (yes, I'm bitter)
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Oh, I will be more than happy to help you with that. There has always been fresh tracks down to the river each time Ive hiked down there. The gate BLM put up on their side isnt locked anymore, it has since been cut off. It angers me to put it nicely.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 94
Send a message via ICQ to ROCKLIMO
Boulder Mine/Kanaka Valley

Wow...It seems the BLM has been BSn' ya. The OHV access has not been removed fron the plan we worked on several years ago. This was admitted to during the recent meetings for the recently aquired lands in Kanaka Valley. They tried to tell me it was but I told the director do take a closer look...he did and the admission was made. The gate on Kanaka Valley is illegal....there is no HOA of any kind. The residents put it up to keep the traffic out. There was constant , day and night, inconsiderate people using that access. That is a county road all the way to the river. It's the same old story.....everyone pisses and moans about closure but how many of you are willing to "occupy" and risk a trip to jail. So, I challange all who want to access this area to step up....let's "OCCUPY". We need to do a "Jarbidge" on this landowners....soon. But until we stand up in masses i will continue to use my secret access for the time being.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
I guess I didn't post like I thought I did last night, yea I don't think OHV was removed just the access was. I agree with ya Vince, but you might want to remove that last sentence and just let me in on that info

I'd be all over a trip to the river..
Old 12-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Well according to the asshats working at BLM (James Barnes), they informed me, despite my claims the management plans did not specifically state OHV closure for this area, that OHV use was closed. They were spewing out of their ass everytime and I called them on it, but they could never answer my simple question. I also had a feeling the Kanaka Valley residents werent a HOA, the road is public on county maps. The gate was recently put up, I remember driving past where the gate is now multiple times. Im in, lets occupy! Im going down to the river. Lets organize OHV users to "Occupy Jurgens".

Last edited by 1966Scout800; 12-20-2011 at 11:01 AM.
1966Scout800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 10770
During the the Eldorado DEIS bull sh*t, I obtained some old county maps showing county maintained roads from the 50's specifically 4/8/1954. See attached - maybe it can help, and if not, it's still interesting.
Note the road named "Luneman rd. 97" was a county maintained road.

Note - I did a check regarding the mining claims also. There are three claims in the area (Dobbs #1, #2, #3). All of the claims are active and current for the BLM and the county. Location dates of 4/22/1984.
Attached Images

Public Lands For the People

Last edited by 88bigvan; 12-20-2011 at 01:58 PM.
88bigvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #109 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Hey Brian would you call me please?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Haulin the Groceries AND Haulin the MAIL
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Thanks for the maps and claim info. Lets spread the word and get a large group of OHV users that want their access back and occupy! This is more than just opening access for Jurgens.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #111 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Does anyone have a map?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Looks like the Kanaka residents were smart. I think they took over maintaining the road beyond the gate to make it private. I attached the map.
That only accounts for the Kanaka side-not the Jurgens side (prescribed easement). Bebe I'll give you a call this evening.

Kanaka Valley Map.

Edit: This map only shows the current status of the access road in question; how this status changed from pubic to private is supposedly ILLEGAL.

Last edited by 1966Scout800; 12-23-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
back to square one, too bad we don't have an organization to fight for these types of things. I know it's not a priority but a non named organization donated banners and advertizing stuff for one of the cleanup and repair projects which is great but once the owner closed off access that was it. Not impressed
Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 159101
For now, our best bet is to focus on the Jurgens side. The homeowners on the Kanaka side are well organized, http://www.kanakavalley.com/, just read the letters and postages they have written. I dont understand why an organization wouldnt fight after the closure. Perhaps they would rather maintain access, easier for them, than to fight to reopen it. Not impressed as well. Has this been brought to the attention of BRC or whomever else can work with us in reopening more recently? Seeing its just a matter of access now, BLM did not close off OHV use, thats one less battle. How could we occupy the Jurgens side, ideas?

Last edited by 1966Scout800; 12-21-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 94
The new added land has nothing to do with the fact that the gate on Kanaka Valley Rd. is ILLEGAL. That info is straight from the former fire chief of and lifelong resident of Rescue. The fire dept. never contested because they were given access.....the fire dept. does not like gates of any kind. If anyone would know it would be him.......his family has owned American River property since 1850. The gate on Kanaka Valley was never contested because we (locals) always had another route to the river. Now we have 2 ILLEGAL road closures, and most of the old timers are gone Hey Kanaka Valley residents.....remember 1931?...probally not since there are no more pioneer famlies living there. We can "occupy" but we are gonna need a couple hundred not a couple dozen people to peacablly assemble......show of hands....I'm up for it.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 159101
True, the map I posted does not explain the legality of how the homeowners closed off access. These homeowners are merely elitists that want the entire canyon for their personal backyard, read the letter they sent to their Senator. Lets do something about it. I say F**K 'em, Im in. Thats two, we need a hundred more. Who's next?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #117 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Take a look at this. I think I see the "Rescue Rd" cutting through the main preserve on the SE side?

http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/folsom_pd...sfam_11x17.pdf

The first map is the overall map - the second is the OHV map....note that Rescue Rd. is grey, that could mean that it's a county road. Need to find out.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bebe; 12-29-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 347
More pieces of the back-story...
http://www.sierracascadelandtrustcou...l-Preserve.pdf

There's some interesting interpretations of law floating around on this forum... IMHO, all of 'em are possible and none of 'em confirmed until a Black Robe drops a hammer with say-so on the issue. Given past experience with management in the Folsom BLM Field Office, I'd guess that BLM LEO have pretty clear instructions for enforcement against OHV access... discussion above notwithstanding.

I could imagine a few ways to manage this... and I've already donated more time than I care to think about working the official process via the management process, letters, office visits, etc. If there's desire to execute organized an organized effort, I'm game to participate -- individual scoff-law efforts won't do it, IMHO, it needs to be well-planned, well-executed, and well-publicized. Any such organized effort should probably be discussed outside of public view, at least to start. Pick a day, pick a place, and pick a time... let's see who shows up and who's willing to take a cite to prove a point. I have some spare wall space where a framed citation could hang with pride, how 'bout you?

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 159101
This is the best way to do it, its just a matter of how and when at this point.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 208161
I don't live in your area but if thier is anything I can do to help pleas let me know I feel it is the duty of all wheeling enthusiast to help keep and get land opened up for ohv use

Ps its geting so bad here I'm thinking of taking over the local range rover dealerships 4wd testing area
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 8827
First time I ever went rockcrawling was on this trail, I would love to be able to take my wife /friends there again. Hopefully something can be done to get these gates removed and public access restored.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Major thanks for the interest. I would love to see acces back as well. I have been aquiring information regarding historical use-maps and documents and such. But this pertains to nothing without legal action. Going to court is one path to take, but in my opinion, wont be as effective. I feel, like has been said previously, we need to assemble in mass and have the law come to us rather than us go to the law. But as Randii mentioned it shouldnt be planned in a public arena at first. Lets give these homeowners a real surprise knocking at their front door! Just keep your ears open. The ball will begin to roll starting most likely with the local guys and hopefully word will spread. How does the beginning of summer sound, end of May early June? What better way to kick of the summer than getting our access back?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 94
I'm game....just can't do it alone. Hey Scout....stop by my place sometime so we can talk. I live next door to where you bought the scout.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 1713
I'd be in for a great reason, miss that place!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 159101
RockLimo, will do. Im back up in Oregon for another semester of school but im done around the first week of May. I stopped by your place last month to help Wes with a Cherokee axle but I dont think you were home. I will definitely swing by once I'm back so we can plan a few things. Good to see this ball rolling. Ill contact a few local guys who would be willing to help out too. So if anyone reading this thread and wants to help: contact whoever you may know that is willing to join in and fight for access that tentatively there will be action this summer if they want to join. We need bodies!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in