USFS is trying to close more in Slade KY - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
Signed and added this area to my "bucket" list.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 129535
Any update? I love slade I'll post this on my club website, we are in north eastern ky and proactive in this stuff. Let us know if we can help. www.Arroc.com

I'll sign and repost the petition in the afternoon when I get off
jkruby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 16988
thanks to everyone!

The update is this: they are working on the scoping notice and I we are bringing together a strong coalition of clubs, individuals, and orgs to ensure we get a Pro Access Alternative. We will then need loads of supportive comments further down the process...

stay tuned!
wayneraintree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 70258
Jeffrey,

The ohio4x4 club goes down atleast once a year for a ride in Slade and has been doing this since before the Natural Bridge closing. (Another group is going down the beginning of November) We also ride Booth's place for a day, as well.

Shoot me a pm or post up on the Ohio4x4.com site as to what we can do to help.

Thanks.

Steve

Last edited by Jy Dog; 10-12-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Jy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 129535
same here let us know if our club can help. we've got the petition rolling through our club, jeepin wv, mountaineer offroad, and everyone through all the forums i'm on, and other members of our club is on. we have many members that love to wheel down there, and others who really want to go, if there is anyway we can help, post up on our site, or send me a pm on here. we can most likely get labor, or whatever we need to do to keep this trail system open.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 102054
Petition signed!

As well as bringing this to the attention of the candidates for the Kentucky Sixth Congressional Seat!
Brockman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 16988
thanks everyone!

I do know that IF we can get the trails designated, it is going to take load of volunteer work. I feel strongly that we have enough people interested.

We need the petition signed and then loads of comments for our Pro Access alternative for OHV when the time comes... stay tuned everyone.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 102673
Signed
GreenTaco4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 129535
Thanks for keeping us up to date, if and when u need voluteers let me and the rest of my club know, I am positive we can get a few guys to come down and lend a hand to keep slade going. This is a great area we can not afford to lose!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:32 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 16988
Not a problem. I have been following this issue since January so no sense in letting up now... spreading the word is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to do. Thanks for helping out and stay tuned
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
I emailed Dave Manner again today, and I also took a look a the foresty service website, looks like they changed the lead on the project from Tom Biebighauser to

Jeffrey Lewis
606-784-6428
[email protected]

I'll post up if I hear anything myself. I hate to see this place go away.
yjwrangler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 98545
Petition signed!!! I love to wheel this area - - I would hate to see it go!!! We have already lost Livingston - - lets not loose this area too! I wonder if Blue Ribbon could help in any way and if they are aware!?!
Blackjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 16988
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/planni...?project=18901

Tom is the contact, not Jeff Lewis.

BRC is involved as is SFWDA. We should know more towards the end of November
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 129535
Thanks for the updates, when ever you need help please let us know.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 119174
Signed
bigal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 73484
Hey gang there's alot of talk on my forum about this issue:

http://moab-offroad.net/smf/index.php?topic=1376.0

I think there needs to be a common place for us to communicate on this issue. Here, there, facebook whatever. what's your thoughts.

-Max
Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 129535
I'm going to sign up on your board this evening, I'm the vp for the Appalachian ridge runners,there are quite a few of us out of northeastern ky. I'm going to copy and paste all the prudent information over to our website so we can more get involved. We've done the voting, we are willing to do what it takes to keep these trails open.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 129535
I think the fb page could be a great idea.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 174982
signed, commented and donated

thanks to this thread, I joined the forums. Thanks for your activism!!

Happy[open] trails,
-brandon

Last edited by acidrain350; 11-24-2010 at 02:40 PM.
acidrain350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 16988
Hey everyone,

We had good dialogue with the district ranger in a discussion on the 23rd of November. Here is the summary:

Sandlick (the actual stream) is in very bad shape in terms of stream health. This condition was described to us as "sterile". This condition is a result of various factors, including but not limited to these facts: in the past, the stream was "straightened", either by the county or the power company, resulting in complete erosion to bedrock as the stream lacks "meandering" or natural flow, which prevents erosion by creating natural pools, aquatic habitat, and overall slower water flow.

There are 125 oil wells in the Sandlick watershed, all of which need to be capped to prevent further contamination of the stream and soils. There are oil lines buried in the stream itself. There is really, really, bad stuff in those old pipes. The main road (FR212) runs mostly in the stream, which is problematic for obvious reasons.

The USFS is committed to restoring this stream to good health, it feeds into the Red River itself :oops:

Our highway-legal vehicle access is really endangered as the FS did not even know that their own fire roads that we drive and were approved in 2008 exist in the stream. A solution is yet to be reached but I have some recon to do in order to fulfill my commitment to the district ranger. Basically, we are seeking alternative routes that meet their "standards" and our recreational needs concurrently.

We are working on this intensely though I can say safely that we have major challenges. The USFS just simply does not respect highway-legal vehicle access.

Stay tuned, once we get our alternative in place, we will need loads of comments in favor of our access.

I'll try to answer any questions anyone has.... but basically, at this junction, I have an action item to present and then we'll go from there...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 16988
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADHAIRDAY View Post
Hey gang there's alot of talk on my forum about this issue:

http://moab-offroad.net/smf/index.php?topic=1376.0

I think there needs to be a common place for us to communicate on this issue. Here, there, facebook whatever. what's your thoughts.

-Max

My bad, I missed your post..... I'll post up on Moab, just registered...

I am going to compile an email distribution list so as to capture every interested party
Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 129535
can we create or are we allowed to create alternate roads in that area? ie something besides in the creek?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 16988
There are some options that we impressed upon the District Ranger, who reluctantly agreed to view a proposal
Old 12-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 120663
Land use issues

As many clubs that enjoy this area I would say part of the proposal should be that we will help in the manpower of some of the restoration.
T.willcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 16988
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update on this topic as the wheeling season approaches.

The USFS has not gotten approval from USFS Supervisors to move forward with any analysis of this area at this time. I should receive a call if there is any movement on the project.

I am developing a volunteer/contact database in order to show the district ranger that we have people power ready to help.

Please email me at wayneraintree at gmail dot com to be added to the list. In the subject line, type Slade.

Please include any skills you have applicable to volunteering. Examples would be trail building, engineering, forestry, route knowledge of the area, administrative skills.

Please tell anyone who is interested in volunteering or being in tune with current information to send me an email so I can add them to the list.

I will need an email address, name, and phone number to reach you along with any specific skills. Just being enthusiastic is
fine too

If you signed the online petition, you may receive an email asking if you want to be added to the volunteer database.

Thanks for staying tuned in....... this is a big year for the Sandlick area so all hands will need to be at the ready to volunteer, call/email comments, or other actions as necessary to keep the public lands open.

Please feel free to copy and paste this post to other forums and email lists, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in