USFS is trying to close more in Slade KY - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 16988
We need everyone we can get so spread the word!
wayneraintree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 234127
Meet spot?
Kycrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 16988
Meeting on Big Bend Road at the entrance to Sand Lick Road 9AM... Big Bend is just outside Zachariah, KY in between Slade and Beattyville off US11.

There is a map link in my earlier post

Old 04-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 16988
Pitkin v. Goliath Part 1 - YouTube

This is the Pitkin Colorado video, we have the exact same issue in KY.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 101581
Send a message via MSN to duncanstives
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneraintree View Post

Everyone watch this video! Very entertaining and a great outcome!

Hope this happens here in KY.
duncanstives is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 281738
I'll be there!! Also: please visit this page on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/TakeBackTheNarrows and like/share..we are trying to get some media attention and this page is part of that..the more coverage we get the better! (the page is a WIP so more info will be uploaded to it soon)
PonyPower93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 101581
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPower93 View Post
I'll be there!! Also: please visit this page on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/TakeBackTheNarrows and like/share..we are trying to get some media attention and this page is part of that..the more coverage we get the better! (the page is a WIP so more info will be uploaded to it soon)
Excellent!

If everyone can also share on twitter using the hashtag #takebackthenarrows that would be great as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 101581
Getting late and I have to be up early but any local media coverage we can get would be AWESOME. People should tip local news, etc that shits gonna hit the fan at 9AM on the third. I will be on it tomorrow as well. Ive done a few already but more than one tip wont hurt so just pic your favorite news outlet and let er rip!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #109 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Ok guys, going to post this on all the Lexington news facebook and twitter accounts, but I want to make sure the facts are correct.

Here is the message:
Thought you all might find this interesting... The United States Forest Service and the Lee County judge executive are going to battle over a popular offroad spot in Daniel Boone National Forest.

Here is a little background: County Road 1057 Sand Lick Road (AKA The Narrows Road) was illegally closed and damaged in 2006 without the county consent. The county judge executive sent the county road crew in last Tuesday to reopen the road, which they did. On Friday, the road again was retrenched and a Forest Ranger is now posted to guard the county road. Yesterday morning, the ranger threatened to arrest the county road workers who showed up to reopen their road along with the judge if he showed his presence.

The judge has proof the road is county road 1057 Sand Lick Road and also that the documentation the USFS used to close and damage it was filled with errors, including stating the road was not a county road.

Here is the part that I thought would be of interest to the News...

On Wednesday April 3rd at 9AM, the judge is leading his county road crew to reopen it once and for all.

Sand Lick Road is a few miles down Big Bend Road just outside Zachariah, KY (41301) which is in between Slade KY and Beattyville, KY.

Now, can we get a confirmed yes from the county Judge Executive? Is it the Lee County or Wolfe County judge? What's his name? Contact info?

All these are questions I would like to have answered before posting this on the pages, as it would help solidify our chances of getting the media's attention

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The never-ending project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
An old Explorer with a lot of dents
Josh40601 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 101581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh40601 View Post
Ok guys, going to post this on all the Lexington news facebook and twitter accounts, but I want to make sure the facts are correct.

Here is the message:
Thought you all might find this interesting... The United States Forest Service and the Lee County judge executive are going to battle over a popular offroad spot in Daniel Boone National Forest.

Here is a little background: County Road 1057 Sand Lick Road (AKA The Narrows Road) was illegally closed and damaged in 2006 without the county consent. The county judge executive sent the county road crew in last Tuesday to reopen the road, which they did. On Friday, the road again was retrenched and a Forest Ranger is now posted to guard the county road. Yesterday morning, the ranger threatened to arrest the county road workers who showed up to reopen their road along with the judge if he showed his presence.

The judge has proof the road is county road 1057 Sand Lick Road and also that the documentation the USFS used to close and damage it was filled with errors, including stating the road was not a county road.

On Wednesday April 3rd at 9AM, the judge is leading his county road crew to reopen it once and for all.

Sand Lick Road is a few miles down Big Bend Road just outside Zachariah, KY (41301) which is in between Slade KY and Beattyville, KY.

Now, can we get a confirmed yes from the county Judge Executive? Is it the Lee County or Wolfe County judge? What's his name? Contact info?

All these are questions I would like to have answered before posting this on the pages, as it would help solidify our chances of getting the media's attention
Its powel county. The entrance to the road is in Wolfe county (first 350ft) and Wolfe co is onboard but powel is taking the lead as most of the road is in powel. The judge executive in question is James D. Anderson and I spoke with him at the site on Saturday... He has written permission from Wolfe co to open their portions as well as his and he's the one that will show up. His number is 606-663-2834.
I would remove the reference to "offroad"... Offroad is sort sort of negative in the public mind and not accurate as this is a road. Just refer to it as the public... Maybe "a popular destination for off-highway vehicle users, rock climbers, horse back rider and hikers". Remember a couple of well know rock walls accessed off this road were closed to the areas many rock climbers at the same time.... Otherwise looks great... Get as much coverage as possible.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #111 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Revised:

Thought you all might find this interesting... The United States Forest Service and the Powell County judge executive are going to battle over a public road in Daniel Boone National Forest.

On Wednesday April 3rd at 9AM, county judge executive James D. Anderson is leading his county road crew to reopen it once and for all. He has written permission from Wolfe County to open their portion of the road as well.

Sand Lick Road is a few miles down Big Bend Road just outside Zachariah, KY (41301) which is in between Slade, KY and Beattyville, KY.

Is that phone number his personal number, or is that to his office?

The never-ending project

Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #112 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
On google maps, is the road in question labeled as Zachariah 4WD trail Fd-1104?

The never-ending project

Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 101581
I think so.

Bing provides more detailed aerial view of the area. They are just showing it as sheltowee trace though (which does conencide with the road in this spot).

This link shows the arch itself: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

This shows the trailhead where shit is gonna go down: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
Old 04-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 101581
Number is the number on his card... I am assuming office. Text looks good. Consider "...James Anderson, country road crews and members of the public..."

Thanks so much for helping... I am at work now so my ability to to this stuff is limited and facebook is blocked here.

Last edited by duncanstives; 04-02-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #115 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Posted it on LEX 18, WKYT, Lexington Herald Leader, Kentucky.com, Fox 56, ABC 36

If you have facebook, please go like, comment and share, and hopefully it will generate enough interest that at least one of the news crews will show up...

The never-ending project

Last edited by Josh40601; 04-02-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 101581
Quote:
Posted it on LEX 18, WKYT, Lexington Herald Leader, Kentucky.com, Fox 56, ABC 36

If you have facebook, please go like, comment and share, and hopefully it will generate enough interest that at least one of the news crews will show up...
Excellent news!

Just had a 23 minute phone call with the 3 forks tradition (local beattyville paper) who will try to have someone on site... If not they said they will run some pictures, etc that people take.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 154115
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneraintree View Post

That was the issue I was talking about. There is a part two which reviews the trail after being re-opened. They were successful in opening the trail back up and are pressing to reverse several other trail closures.

Tips I have from talking with my dad who was a part of it:

-Maintain an even keel. Don't let any of your group get irate or disrespectful. You don't want any bad light in anyway that can be used to spin the group as radicals. Make sure you all present the same message and are all on the same basis of what you want done and are doing.

-Be firm with what you want. Don't take "maybes" or "we'll try". Try to get video of proof of the meeting/confrontation.

-Have your facts nailed down and know them like the back of your hand. Be more knowledgable than the Forest Service reps who will show up and not have a clue about the trail/road.

As I think of more, I'll post up. I wish you guys luck. You can do it!
badassblaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 154115
Quote:

I hate to ask, but can you post links to the facebook pages? I'll like and share them. I just can't go digging for a while at work to find the pages
badassblaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 281738
Here's some links to Josh's posts..excellent work btw!

Lexington herald leader: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heral...14584511891554

Wkyt: https://www.facebook.com/WKYTTV?fref=ts

Lex 18: https://www.facebook.com/lex18?fref=ts
Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 281738
I also just emailed a reporter for Lex 18 news that I know...hopefully we can get one of these guys to come out..
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 101581
Thanks for all the support all!

I will be tweeting live from the scene tomorrow... Follow @duncanstives for real time updates!

Other people might join in so search for #takebackthenarrows as well!

Hope to see a crowd in the morning... If you're bringing a rig koops gas station on 11 will let you leave tow rigs.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #122 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Wish I could be there, but I have to work in the morning. I will do what I can from Frankfort though!

The never-ending project

Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #123 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Herald leader said thanks for the tip

The never-ending project

Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 281738
Cool
Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 281738
A reply from the reporter I emailed says "thanks! I'm checking into it. Sounds like it could be really interesting." So hopefully he's gonna help us out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in