Drove one - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mahindra Roxor
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Drove one

I stopped and looked and drove one Saturday. I have to say...I'm impressed. Dollar for dollar if I were in the market for a new side by side, that would be it hands down. The 2.5 turbo diesel has plenty of torque and pulls really well. It is limited to 45mph but I assume a flash of the ecm would correct that and some tweeking on the boost controller should really wake it up.

Doing some research it looks like a dana 44 deferential will work so lockers and gearing shouldn't be an issue (3:73's) is stock.

The body is all 12ga steel with a 10ga boxed frame. Power steering, disc front and drum rear brakes. Manual 5spd with a two speed transfer case with a pto output.

I can really see an awesome aftermarket for these things. So in my opinion, these are really what we've been asking for. Simple and well constructed.

Base price is around 15k.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
It seems like such a simple recipe, and one that pirate would like. I cannot imagine why so many people are critical

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 136221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
It seems like such a simple recipe, and one that pirate would like. I cannot imagine why so many people are critical
Speaking for myself other than you can't register it for the street.
It's an oddball it's not a accurate reproduction of any particular jeep model so no genuine jeep parts will fit like the top or the doors.
Imho I would have liked it a lot more if they had put a gpw body on it
mahindra makes flat fender bodies and have the licenses to do it.
But my taste in jeeps put aside I do hope the company is successful and hope to see some roxor's built into serious crawling machines.
BobCat5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 69594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
I think if more of the country would let you register them for road use, people wouldn't bitch so loud about it. The best argument against it for that is that 15k gets you into a decent to good flat fender/CJ/TJ that you can drive on the street.
TrikeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 161331
You can't street legal SXS's in most states, but that don't stop people from buying the shit out of them.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
You can't street legal SXS's in most states, but that don't stop people from buying the shit out of them.
That is the first thought in my head when everybody says you cannot register this. Hell I think some of the new side-by-side’s are damn near as expensive as a jeep JL.

& Blaine

Old 04-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 69594
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
True, but most sxs's have a bunch of power and suspension travel so you can haul ass off-road with them. Solid axles and a little diesel doesn't lend as well to that use.
TrikeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2018, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikeKid View Post
True, but most sxs's have a bunch of power and suspension travel so you can haul ass off-road with them. Solid axles and a little diesel doesn't lend as well to that use.
But they don't have windshields, heaters, radios.........
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2018, 07:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6170
I think most are critical because it just looks like a blatant jeep ripoff and we're pretty used to seeing that happen in that part of the world. We instantly associate that with being a cheap piece of junk. Honestly, they would have done much better if they just came up with their own utilitarian body style that we had never seen and kept the drivetrain. Jeep licensing doesn't mean much if you can't get the correct looking grill at the same time.

I go to JV once a year, and its mostly idiots in SXS pretending to be Robby Gordon at night. Most never leave sight of the lakebed. I don't see that crowd buying this. I do see this as being way more usefull at places like farms and such so it might just have a market.

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 85483
If you could register it for the roads, then it would have to meet all the bullshit of the EPA, CARB...etc. And you sure as hell wouldn't see it for 15K

If that's what you want, then go buy a jeep.

From what I gather researching it, Dana carries and gears will swap in and I'm sure there will be some after market axles out before to long. Maybe even a link set up.

Again, if I were in the market for a new sxs, no question about it, that's what I'd have.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Fab. View Post
I think most are critical because it just looks like a blatant jeep ripoff and we're pretty used to seeing that happen in that part of the world. We instantly associate that with being a cheap piece of junk. Honestly, they would have done much better if they just came up with their own utilitarian body style that we had never seen and kept the drivetrain. Jeep licensing doesn't mean much if you can't get the correct looking grill at the same time.

I go to JV once a year, and its mostly idiots in SXS pretending to be Robby Gordon at night. Most never leave sight of the lakebed. I don't see that crowd buying this. I do see this as being way more usefull at places like farms and such so it might just have a market.

Kevin
You realize they have been building it for many years...right? They actually built jeeps for the war also.

Last edited by thumping; 05-09-2018 at 12:30 PM.
thumping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
RXT

Member # 493505
Quote:

Kevin
I haven't read or seen anything that would suggest that there are many people who have been critical about it. On the contrary, so far, it seems to be well received. By all accounts it is a "Jeep", it's just that it's built by another company, with permission (the license agreement) and I don't see anything about it that suggests it's 'cheap'. The only thing Mahindra can't reproduce is the grill. (particularly for US consumption) That part is trademarked by Fiat-Chrysler. Thats why the grill is different. I love the engine and drivetrain. I think it's better than what you can get with a new Wrangler, the only negative is the purposely governed speed limit, which might not be an issue for some. The value is very good. Where can you buy a running, driving Jeep with a diesel and decent drivetrain for the $$$ ? (A new Wranger is over twice the price)

Ed
Old 05-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Why is everybody so worried about the grill? The aftermarket will come out with an angry grill for it and they will sell like hotcakes.

& Blaine

Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 6170
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXT View Post
I haven't read or seen anything that would suggest that there are many people who have been critical about it. On the contrary, so far, it seems to be well received. By all accounts it is a "Jeep", it's just that it's built by another company, with permission (the license agreement) and I don't see anything about it that suggests it's 'cheap'. The only thing Mahindra can't reproduce is the grill. (particularly for US consumption) That part is trademarked by Fiat-Chrysler. Thats why the grill is different. I love the engine and drivetrain. I think it's better than what you can get with a new Wrangler, the only negative is the purposely governed speed limit, which might not be an issue for some. The value is very good. Where can you buy a running, driving Jeep with a diesel and decent drivetrain for the $$$ ? (A new Wranger is over twice the price)

Ed
That's interesting because everyone I talk to, their first impression is cheap knockoff. Once they learn more about it that opinion changes. I realize they have been making those bodies for a long time, but from a marketing standpoint I don't feel like it looking like a jeep helps them in any way. Add to that the fact that they cannot reproduce the grill and you've already lost people right off the bat. You now have to do more work to sell people on the drivetrain and get them beyond the initial "its not really a jeep" thoughts.

I realize all to well how much a new wrangler costs, but can you drive the Roxor on the street?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 85483
[QUOTE=Ghetto Fab.;43784890]That's interesting because everyone I talk to, their first impression is cheap knockoff. Once they learn more about it that opinion changes. I realize they have been making those bodies for a long time, but from a marketing standpoint I don't feel like it looking like a jeep helps them in any way. Add to that the fact that they cannot reproduce the grill and you've already lost people right off the bat. You now have to do more work to sell people on the drivetrain and get them beyond the initial "its not really a jeep" thoughts.

I realize all to well how much a new wrangler costs, but can you drive the Roxor on the street?[/QUOTE]

Why is that an issue when you're buying a sxs? Would that be a factor if you were buying a rzr? Can you drive other sxs's on the street? It is a sxs...not a wrangler. But to answer your question, in many areas yes, you can tag and drive a sxs on county roads...and this would be no different. Hell I see sxs's parked in parking lots around town quite often.

And if it were licensed to be driven on the street, it would have to meet all regulations and thus, you damn sure wouldn't be able to buy one for 15K.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
RXT

Member # 493505
Quote:
That's interesting because everyone I talk to, their first impression is cheap knockoff.
Are you talking about first impressions or people being critical? I can believe that maybe your first impression is cheap knock-off, but it wasn't mine or the first impressions of anyone I shard the news of this vehicle coming to market. According to the specs and all the reviews, it looks pretty well put together

Quote:
Once they learn more about it that opinion changes.
So what are you saying? Second, third, or forth impression is; not a cheap knock-off, or they are less critical?? That would jive with what I said before, the Roxor, has so far has been well received….

Quote:
I realize they have been making those bodies for a long time, but from a marketing standpoint I don't feel like it looking like a jeep helps them in any way.
Why wouldn't it?? As mentioned, so far it seems to be well received and so far, it's got the attention of a lot of people….Maybe it's because it looks like a Jeep, but theres one other big attractor….The price

Quote:
Add to that the fact that they cannot reproduce the grill and you've already lost people right off the bat.
Whats the big eff'ing deal!? Is the grill more important than a set of decent axles? Or the cool little turbo diesel? Or where you can take this?? If it bothers you that much, may I suggest you photoshop the pics! Other than the grill, the thing looks pretty decent and it looks to be well equipped for what it's intended for.

Quote:
You now have to do more work to sell people on the drivetrain…..
There are those who choose a vehicle based on cup holders, air conditioned seats, and wether it's got GPS or not. And those of us who choose a vehicle based on the hardware underneath.

The power train and drivetrain on the Roxor is quite attractive for what it is. With the purchase of one, you get a nice turbo diesel, a well geared 5 speed manual trans, a transfer case thats very similar to the Dana/Spicer model 18 and both axles are based off of the Dana 44. If you compare it to the current Wrangler, the Roxor actually has the better drivetrain.

Quote:
…and get them beyond the initial "its not really a jeep" thoughts
I don't think thats a problem at all. From one perspective it's still a 'jeep', and from another it isn't…who really cares? What I like about it, is the hardware it comes with, and the possible mods you can do with it. -The Dana based axles will accept all sorts of lockers and gear options and the suspension is liftable and you can install many different automotive type tires on it's standard rims.

Quote:
I realize all to well how much a new wrangler costs, but can you drive the Roxor on the street?
Street?? You're on a forum that addresses (hardcore) wheeling and you want to bring up the street??

It depends on where you live. Where I live, I can register and tag a golf cart and drive it on some of our rural roads, quite legally. The Roxor is technically, not a truck or intended to be a form of conveyance. It's considered a type of recreational vehicle and therefore falls under a completely different category of vehicle. Then again many people have no need to drive their toys on the road.

Ed

Last edited by RXT; 05-10-2018 at 11:02 AM.
RXT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 6170
Jesus christ RXT, when you buying one?

You know what they say about opinons?

Yes, its pretty easy to make a cool little truck that doesn't cost much when it doesn't have to meet safety standards or emmissions. There is a lot more you can do with a vehicle if you can legally drive it places. Just saying it helps.

No, you can't drive golf carts on the street here. Oddly enough I do have my actual jeep buggy street legal here, but it also started life as a street legal vehicle.

Kevin
Old 05-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 8284
12ga body!?

Thing's a friggin tank...
DemoMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Roo skin seat covers

Member # 342298
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoMike View Post
12ga body!?

Thing's a friggin tank...
I'm a bit sceptical.

All panels 12ga?

Is this true?
Old 05-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
RXT

Member # 493505
Quote:
Jesus christ RXT, when you buying one?
As soon as I start my Go fund me page

Quote:
Yes, its pretty easy to make a cool little truck that doesn't cost much when it doesn't have to meet safety standards or emissions.
Well we can't really blame Mahindra for that, now can we? If anything they could be exploiting a loophole that could benefit us.

Quote:
There is a lot more you can do with a vehicle if you can legally drive it places. Just saying it helps.
Sure, if you want to look at it as if it's supposed to be a street legal vehicle. But if we had say a Polaris, or some other side-by-side, or maybe a competition rock bouncy thingy, that couldn't pass an inspection, you wouldn't look at it that way. We'd look at it like a fun toy, not a daily driver…. thats what this thing is. You put this one on a trailer and take it to your favorite off road venue, beat on it, then put it away when you're done.

Ed
Old 05-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 79509
I didnt get to drive one, but crawled all over one at the local ATV/watersports dealership.

When you compare it against a Jeep, it seems cheesey. When you compare it against the mule sitting right next to it, it seems like a more robust platform for your money.

I didn't like a lot of about the engine. No fan shroud, turbo half the size of my fist (no wonder it only makes 60hp), alternator mount barely holding on.

The angle iron in the bed was lame as hell, tailgate is a joke. Although the b pillar is tied to the frame.

A lot of cool, a lot of dot head cutting corners. Still think it's a great idea and it will sell for the price point. I can build something for a lot less... but a lot of people cant and will pay the $200 a month instead
Old 06-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
BAMF

Member # 42606
I will have the horsepower up about 60% from stock by the end of the year with just a reflash. And not speed limited.
Emissions fixes available.
Munchies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 604297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
I will have the horsepower up about 60% from stock by the end of the year with just a reflash. And not speed limited.
Does this mean you have one? You should post up some more info if so.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 142223
I don't like SXS's for the same reason I'm hesitant about the roxor: If I can't drive it to work on a nice day then I'm not making payments. That being said if these start showing up used below 8K I'd be up for finding out how well a Titled CJ5 or Samurai Body fits that chassis

Edit:
I just looked up the size and it's much closer to the CJ7. The lines on the cowl almost look like you could get a CJ windshield frame on one? That would get you a VIN and wipers. Add necessary lighting and flash the speed limiter out and I can't see why you couldn't pass is off as a jeep to the police/inspection stations?

Last edited by Syrings72; 06-22-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Syrings72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 74825
In Michigan I can drive one of these everywhere. Have to stay off of state highways and some class A roads. Besides that, put an ORV sticker on it and take it wherever I want to. Wish there was a hard top option.
Back Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in