So did anyone buy one? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mahindra Roxor
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 53453
So did anyone buy one?

So, any of you s buy one?

Or is this a total flop on Mahindras part?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I would love to have one. Canít drive stick though.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
there is one in abbotsford near me
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9925
Have a Mahindra Tractor dealer 5' from the house. They haven't even heard of it...
Old 07-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 207522
I feel like it was mostly a flop as I predicted. I had a few people arguing with me, saying farmers everywhere were going to be buying them. All the farmers I know say their current side by sides and trucks do just as much and more than buying one of these. Plus as stated, there's a mahindra dealer just down the road from me, haven't seen one yet at all.
Diesel_Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 81613
My neighbor was trying to buy one last year at the county fair. Said the line was so long he went over to the kubuta booth and bought a light a.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 82954
i went to dealer when iwas in Missouri that had 2 in stock. base model priced at 19,500 and woundnt budge. i'm pretty sure msrp is only a little over 15k.
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 53743
Obviously if you've read the other threads I'm a naysayer. Price and specs are nonstarters. I would be surprised if they sold more than about 10 of them.

The idea has merit. The product is all wrong other than the sheet metal. The cost difference to have put it on 35's with simple locking differentials would have been small and I think it would have sold as fast as they could build them.

And the price. A new Thar in India with hard top is about $9,000 USD. At $6,500 for a stripper model like this one - I think they could sell them. Even at $9k probably. $20k?
Never gonna happen.
jetboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 852368
I ordered one up here in Canada. Wonít see it till late Aug at the earliest. It has taken off better than they anticipated. I like it. Same price as any other plastic sxs out there. And for me, more usable and durable for my needs.

From what Iíve seen/heard they are sold out for they next year or so.

The first 30 minutes of this video explains it.

https://youtu.be/5MjYt8w4jqo
Bister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53743
Help me understand what you plan to use it for, what were the selling points for you, and why you chose it over something like a 2dr Wrangler that would have things like a cab and heater that you might want in Canada. Not flaming at all. Just curious.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
It would make a great sulphur spraying vehicle. Friend of mine works on a few almond farms and vineyards and they used to buy wranglers for this. First thing they would do is take the windshield, rollbar, top, tailgate and doors off. It rots the hell out of the tubís. They stopped doing it after the TJ because there was no cheap four-cylinder model left. The things never came out of low range and got beaten forever. They use gators now but they donít like them as much.

& Blaine

Old 07-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 53743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
It would make a great sulphur spraying vehicle. Friend of mine works on a few almond farms and vineyards and they used to buy wranglers for this. First thing they would do is take the windshield, rollbar, top, tailgate and doors off. It rots the hell out of the tubís. They stopped doing it after the TJ because there was no cheap four-cylinder model left. The things never came out of low range and got beaten forever. They use gators now but they donít like them as much.
At $16- $20k would that be in the price range of what they'd buy? I'm still struggling to see where you'd be better off than something like a used Tacoma? Or a 2dr Wrangler that you could buy at the same price? Or one of Mahindra's other products like a tractor?
Old 07-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
At $16- $20k would that be in the price range of what they'd buy? I'm still struggling to see where you'd be better off than something like a used Tacoma? Or a 2dr Wrangler that you could buy at the same price? Or one of Mahindra's other products like a tractor?
They bought the tj’s and Yj’s 2 at a time from the dealership. Tacoma has way too much cab and body. They have tractors, but you have to pull the spray rig on the trailer. So they don’t care for that. You can no longer buy a new two door wrangler for $20k. I’m betting they would buy the bone stocker and work it to death. Somewhere I have pictures of my 95 YJ that I bought from them. It was Rusty and every panel that had not been unbolted was beat to shit.

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 07-09-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 852368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Help me understand what you plan to use it for, what were the selling points for you, and why you chose it over something like a 2dr Wrangler that would have things like a cab and heater that you might want in Canada. Not flaming at all. Just curious.
Right now I have an 11 year old Rhino I need to replace. It had 28,000 klms on it and it is worn. I haul all my wood out of the bush with it and putt around the valley. Never far and never fast. Yes, a wrangler would get me in and out, but I bet there wouldn’t be much glass left in after awhile and I don’t want a full cab etc. I want to jump in like the old Jeep I grew up with. I want to be able to leave it outside in the rain if needed and wash it out with a pressure Asher. The inside is all sprayed with box liner material and has a drain hole in each footwell. Secondly, I don’t need another vehicle to put a license plate on, about $750 -$1000 a year cheaper to insure as a sxs. Thirdly, it’s brand new. Fourth, I’m sure a heater and enclosure is coming and contrary to public belief, it’s not winter all year up here lol. Fifth, I like it. Six, it’s the same price as just about any new plastic sxs that would fit my needs and I am sure it will outlast anything currently out there. Down side is I don’t like diesels and I don’t care for standards anymore. lol, but I’ll tough it out. In reality I think putting around in a little turbo deisel 5 speed will be cool. Turning radius sucks, but on another forum that has a few owners that have them and really like them, they adjusted the stop bolt and it helped with that issue. Someone already has a stage one tuner available that increases the hp and removes the speed limiter. I think your going to see lots of aftermarket stuff. One guy put a windshield from a Jeep on, not sure which model, but it bolted right on.

I saw someone mentioned that somebody tried to buy one last year, they only came out in March. Another mentioned that a dealer had a base unit for $19,500 and would not budge, that would have had to be a LE unit, they are just starting to build the base units now and I don’t think any have even shipped yet, some have with upgraded wheels and they are called the Classic II. Also, Mahindra tractor dealers do not carry these, they are sold through existing power sport dealers only. Just like a Yamaha Piano dealer doesn’t sell or know anything about Yamaha Motorcycle products.

I really like it and am looking forward to getting it, probably another 6 weeks. For me it will stay pretty much stock with a few accessories for comfort.

Last edited by Bister; 07-09-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Update Now that I’m not on my phone.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 53743
Thanks for the insight. Do you wish it had been offered with things like windshield wipers, turn signals, mirrors, heater, etc? Or are those not something you want. It seems like most side by sides around me come with at least a full set of street legal lights, mirrors, etc. because they're required for registration to use on the road for sxs.

I was thinking in Canada putting a snow plow on it would be job #1. Without a cab, wipers, or a heater it's going to be pretty cold and all but impossible to drive anywhere in the winter. (I used to own a plow company in Montana - and I had a CJ5 as one of my favorite plow vehicles - the size was ideal for small parking lots. I moved to FJ40's due to the substantial increase in durability and overall build quality. They just last a lot longer with less repairs, but the CJ5 worked pretty well other than being very low build quality.)

Your insurance must be super expensive up in the great white north. My FJ40 costs about $100 a year for insurance and in Montana we get permanent license plates after 10 years old (no cost ever, no inspections, no emissions testing). If you have to pay high taxes and insurance rates, that makes it more economical to call it an OHV.

One big advantage I see as an OHV is use of dyed diesel. Not sure if that's a thing in Canada, but in the USA our diesel fuel for tractors is sold without road tax, so it's a good bit cheaper. But it's illegal to use in a road vehicle.

Last edited by jetboy; 07-10-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 852368
Windshield, mirrors are available as an option, signal lights etc are not required for me as I’m not trying to make it street legal and we can use them around here and we are not bothered by anyone if we are respectful. It’s replacing a Rhino that’s not street legal now. Heater and enclosure (soft enclosure is available now from ROXOR) will be available in the future just like most sxs’s out there now. Lots of stuff coming down the pipe. “On The Rox” (I think they are in Montana) is already fabricating stuff up, glass windshield with wipers, signal light conversion etc. Locker is available now, front hubs, etc. They even made a different grill. A lot of that stuff, like a grill is not important to me. I’m “function over fashion”. ROXOR lists a lot of accessories on there site and more being added all the time. I have also been in contact with the western Canada rep, so I know a bit of stuff that should be coming, but not all confirmed yet.

As for the snow plow, maybe someday, but I have my John Deere tractor with a snowblower and snow push bucket for that (and no cab) And for the majority of my winter driving I will use my 2004 F150 4x4 truck. Most of the winter, this unit will be parked unless I get an enclosure in the future and a heater. What I like is that in 10 years this vehicle will still be in great shape and not worn out like my Rhino (I’m hoping).

To insure a 1986 CJ would be $900, for a sxs I just need $250,000 liability for a couple $200/year ($700 less) and we don’t even get asked if we have that on our off-road vehicles. I bet most don’t even have that. I don’t on my old quad and still use it. We don’t have to tag/register/plate off-road vehicles in SASK, just suppose to have that 3rd party liability.

If your a farmer you can use died deisel here to, I’m not. But I’m using it in my business so I claim the fuel anyway. Not a big deal. It gets good mileage.

Being in Montana, you probably get more snow than us. As for the cold, we are a bit colder, but your really not that far from me. Lol I’m only about 190 miles from Plentywood in a straight line. I live in Gerald, Saskatchewan if you google it, it’s not that far north.

And did I mention, I just really like it. We had a couple 1947 Willy’s while I was growing up. This thing just brings back memories, so that might be part of it. Lol

There are some owners listing pics and stuff they are doing to it on https://teamroxor.com/

EDIT: Just found this windshield frame and wipers, $825 no glass. I guess get it installed at your local shop. It would save on shipping and possible breakage.
https://ontheroxfab.com/shop/windshield-with-wipers

Last edited by Bister; 07-10-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:42 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 777769
76 cj7 windshield bolts right on. Cj7 dash pad fits also. (I read that on the forum)
Rubirunner85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 507513
I bought one. I live out in the bush and don't wanna use a $40k luxo mall crawler "Jeep" to slog down logging roads, haul wood/gravel/tools/scrap, grade my private road, and whatnot and go back in the woods. PTO option is of great interest to me for future usage. I own a tractor with a bucket and this is the perfect compliment to it. Mine was never put away clean. It got filthy the first day I had it, just like it should be.

This is not the greatest city/suburb mall crawler. If you live in a very blue state/area, then pick from their approved vehicles, as this will be a bear to register.

Many are already legally on the road in red states, and I know no one near me who hasn't drooled on it that has seen it. Old Jeeps are quite loved around here, and this is a CJ/Willys in all but name. Basically it's 1987 again, and the CJ'ers like the Roxor for all the same reasons. Jeep doesn't make a product that much of flyover country enjoys. Mahindra did, and I love em for it.

Last edited by jrobz23; 07-20-2018 at 11:53 AM.
jrobz23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 30673
Just noticed the mine I work for bought two of them. Not sure why, guess you could take them underground. The no windshield/top/doors thing would suck when it gets to -40.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR800 View Post
Just noticed the mine I work for bought two of them. Not sure why, guess you could take them underground. The no windshield/top/doors thing would suck when it gets to -40.
Don't you need special certifications/approvals to take a vehicle underground?

A place I worked used Kubota RTVs because they just had to throw a fire extinguisher system and an intake shutoff valve and they were legal for it.

Last edited by DirtyComanche; 07-29-2018 at 08:15 PM.
DirtyComanche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 852368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Don't you need special certifications/approvals to take a vehicle underground?

A place I worked used Kubota RTVs because they just had to throw a fire extinguisher system and an intake shutoff valve and they were legal for it.
I showed them to a buyer at a potash mine up here in Canada and he said they would work here in the mines.

Anything underground has to be deisel or electric and a governed speed of, I think, 25 kph. And then they need certified ROP (roll over protection), seatbelts, etc. When I get mine, he wants to have a look at it.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 228921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bister View Post
Someone already has a stage one tuner available that increases the hp and removes the speed limiter.
So you get 80hp instead of 62hp?
Old 07-29-2018, 09:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 30673
I have worked at mines that use the Kubotas, the suspension doesn't last very well, tires don't fare very well either. Don't think they will take them underground(Roxor), just noticed them running around on the surface. They have tried tractors, UTVs, F350s, Millers(some Landcruiser conversion thing), they just get beat to crap. Speed limit is 10mph underground.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 852368
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR800 View Post
I have worked at mines that use the Kubotas, the suspension doesn't last very well, tires don't fare very well either. Don't think they will take them underground(Roxor), just noticed them running around on the surface. They have tried tractors, UTVs, F350s, Millers(some Landcruiser conversion thing), they just get beat to crap. Speed limit is 10mph underground.
He said they would use them under ground and the speed of 25kph would be 15mph. He likes the tough old school setup vs the plastic sxs with little axle, brakes and suspension. He really wants to see one in person and have a good look at it, but so far he likes it. Right now they have just about everything else down there and your right, they get beat in no time. They have the Kubotas, but they also have a pile of motors in the junk pile from them, they have some deisel sxsís, but they donít last long either, even some electric Polaris units. They have some deisel Toyotaís to. Surface here they use regular trucks with cabs and heaters, gets chilly in the winter up here, underground itís always around 80F.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 852368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkn View Post
So you get 80hp instead of 62hp?
Iím actually fine with the 62, Iím not in any hurry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in