Turbo'd on pane toyota with 404s - Page 18 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 05:27 AM   #426 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullcruiser View Post
Nice build, are those pictures from The Swamp?
They are actually, good eye. I'm assuming that you've been there before?
Old 01-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #427 (permalink)

Member # 193971
Yea, when I lived in Crestview I wheeled The Swamp and Boggs and Boulders all the time.
ECORS Toyota #779
pitbullcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 AM   #428 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Oh awesome! They are both about the same distance from me. i kinda of like the swamp better even though its a lot smaller, there are more washouts and such to play on vs the coupe rock trails at boggs.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #429 (permalink)

Member # 7099
Who’s the guy that makes the seal retainer?
2007 STI #385/800
87 TINTOP :flipoff2:
snowman420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 05:11 AM   #430 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
I don't recall his name off hand, but i'll check when i get back to the house and get back with you on it.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:52 AM   #431 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman420 View Post
Who’s the guy that makes the seal retainer?
PM sent.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #432 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Update:

A few changes since the last update.

I got tired of fighting the banjo leaking issue along with the fact that the stock corvette calipers were slightly different between one another. The casting at the banjo fitting wasn't always the same. One caliper would fit with the mounts that i built, and the next caliper won't since the banjo would hit the portal box before the top bolt would line up. This was due to the casting at the banjo being slightly taller than the other caliper. So, i'd have to redo the mounts each time and that wasn't satisfactory.

So i went ahead and pulled the trigger on the wilwood stock replacement calipers for the truck. Over all, i'm SOOOOO glad that i did and i should have done it from the get go. With some slight modifications to my mounts, they bolted in. Because the inlet uses 1/8 NPT, i was able to pull the top of the caliper tight against the brake rotor like it should be. Now the caliper isn't anywhere near touching the wheel.

One of the things that i had planned when i was building the rig, yet didn't get done yet; was to have a trim ring made around the exhaust. While i don't race anymore, i wanted to do this to kinda pull that part of my life into the crawling part. So, i hit up my buddy that does the carbon fiber work and he made me an orange carbon fiber trim ring for the exhaust. i love how it turned out!

In continuing with the re-centering of my wheels, while i waited for the new centers to arrive, i went ahead and painted the outer halves of the wheels. After seeing them painted, i really can't wait to get the new wheel setup on the rig.

Unfortunately not in time for my last ride to Chocco, the wheel centers did finally arrive. I had to wheel with two different outers on my front wheels since i already cut the stock centers off of my outers in preparation for the new centers. But the new centers look amazing and it is now time to get them installed.

In order to get the wheels are true as i could, i came up with an interesting solution to do this. Hopefully this makes sense as i explain it. I'll take a pic tonight of the adapter setup to help show what i'm referring to here.

I wanted to true the new centers off of the stock centers. To do this as precisely as i could think of, i used the 1.5" wheel spacers that were on the front of the truck. I took one spacer and bolted it to the stock wheel center. I then took the second wheel spacer and bolted it to the front of the new wheel center (bolted it on backwards compared to normal) and then slide the new wheel center down onto the backside of the wheel. From there, i measured the distance between the 2 wheel spacers and made a spacer/shim to take up the distance since the new centers didn't slide down as far as i had expected. I pulled it apart and bolted the 2 wheel spacers with the extra spacer/shims in between. I then measured the overall thickness of this assembly to ensure that it was the same all around. I then bolt it all back together and i was able to tack weld the new center on and check for the run out. It was within .010" of the stock center on the wheel so i burnt it in. The next 2 wheels that I did kept getting better with less and less runout. One thing that i noticed as i was checking the runout, it appears that most of the runout that i have is from the stock inner wheel halves being slightly tweaked. Which i could expect since these wheels are from an military H1 and who knows what they were put through in their life before i bought them. But overall, i love how they turned out. Now i just need to do 2 more wheels.

Another thing that i noticed, was that i was told the backspacing should be about 3 3/8" but it ended up being closer to 2 1/2". Since the centers are 8 spoke and not like pressed centers made by other companies, i discovered that the spokes aren't bent the exact same. If you lay the center down on a perfectly flat surface face down, it wobbles. I can't set the well center completely flush against the lip of the wheel because it throws the trueness off on the wheel. So, to keep one of the spokes from hitting the wheel first, i had to add another shim to the spacer pack.

Here is what the wheel looks like mocked up with my painted outer half.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #433 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Speaking of the ride, i'll leave off with some photos from the trip. It was a great time and i only broke a windshield wiper arm. haha

Here are a few pics from the trail "Hell's Revenge".

Here i'm on the trail called "Backside 1".

What happened here was that my jacket caught my mode switch for the rear steer. I have been keeping it in the auto mode so that when i'm done with the rear steer, it is supposed to straighten the rear tires, but little did i know or realize, the switch was flipped by my jacket and put into manual mode. So, when i lined back up to try this rock face, my rear tires were turned and it then caused me to roll over. Lesson learned and now that jacket is in the dumpster. I suppose its all part of learning the new rig as well. I definitely look forward to more seat time.

On a bummer note though, i just realized that the beginning of my build thread all of the pics are lost now. That'll be time consuming to try and figure out which pic is what and re-upload them. *facepalm*
Old 02-15-2019, 04:56 AM   #434 (permalink)

Member # 9393
So now that you've had a chance to get some seat time and get everything broken in properly, what's your assessment of the ORIs?

Ride Quality (fast / slow terrain)
Sway Control
Push-Off on steep climbs?

Do they deliver on the promises? Any surprises?

Not that it will change the direction of my build, since I already have a set hanging on my truck. Just feels like forever before I'll actually have a chance to drive and feel it for myself!!

-G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 05:11 AM   #435 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg72 View Post
So now that you've had a chance to get some seat time and get everything broken in properly, what's your assessment of the ORIs?

Ride Quality (fast / slow terrain)
Sway Control
Push-Off on steep climbs?

Do they deliver on the promises? Any surprises?

Not that it will change the direction of my build, since I already have a set hanging on my truck. Just feels like forever before I'll actually have a chance to drive and feel it for myself!!

-G
Honestly, i love them.

The ride is great and way more stable than when i was on leaf springs. I can't speak on the fast terrain because I've not done that just yet. I only leave 5" of shaft exposed so i feel like you'd want more exposed if you were doing fast stuff. That way you can give the valving time to slow the piston down before you hit the bump stop. But with that said, when I've come off ledges or drops offs and the tires hit the ground, the bump stop doesn't feel harsh at all either. While i still have more adjusting to do to the struts (i haven't even opened them up to change the compression dampening) i think they work well. Right now, i'm running 140 psi in my lower chambers and ~320 in my uppers at each corner. My rig has a 51/49 weight bias front to rear so i run nearly the same pressures on the top chamber front and rear. When i get to go out west to wheel with the folks in AZ (hopefully that'll happen next year), i'm going to start running water in the front tires to help keep the front end down on big climbs. I have the ability to use my winch to suck down the front suspension if need be as well.

One thing that i find is strange, is that the rig feels almost too stable. And what i mean by that; those times that I've rolled or flopped my rig, the rig didn't feel like it was at that point really. While i'll certainly say that could be partially me learning the new limits of the rig since the rebuild, I've been completely shocked at how off camber the truck gets before laying over.

So, if i were to do it over, i'd go the same route. The only surprise that I've noticed, is that in cold weather, the struts seem like they loose a little ride height. I've heard this is normal. But i have my nitrogen fill kit so that's easy to resolve.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #436 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Trim ring looks great! Those wheels will look great too. They look alittle more "tech".

When you go on those trails, do you ever see anyone on "Mogs"?

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 06:55 AM   #437 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
No, i'm usually the odd man out i suppose when it comes to anyone on portals really. I know a few other folks that have them but i haven't gone wheeling with them yet.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #438 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Quick update:

I was able to get the front wheels finished.

The truck is definitely wider now. I'm not sure if you can really tell by this picture, but over all; the front of the truck is now 6" wider than the rear. You can easily tell when looking at the distance between the high steer arm and the sidewall of the tire.

Here are a couple pics to show the overall look. I really like the look of the new centers.

Next up is to take care of the rear. When i do that, i'll take a couple photos without the tire on the wheel to show how much the backspacing has changed.

I'm also about to change the oil and spark plugs in the truck too. Nothing special there, just some maintenance. But the plugs have been in the engine for nearly 6 years and the one that i removed yesterday looked good actually.

Last edited by nwflyoda; 02-22-2019 at 11:38 AM.
nwflyoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #439 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
New wheels definitely look better. I wonder if it will drive any differnt with the bigger scrub. I'm sure you won't feel it on the trail. But maybe on the street. I suppose it should be less susceptible to roll over. (But I know you would never do that anyways, he he)

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #440 (permalink)

Member # 208370
I really wish these picture links worked!!! thinking about turbo propane on my yota.
BadRep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #441 (permalink)

Member # 208370
correction, the recent pictures show up but not the original photobucket pics
Old 02-25-2019, 05:47 AM   #442 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
New wheels definitely look better. I wonder if it will drive any differnt with the bigger scrub. I'm sure you won't feel it on the trail. But maybe on the street. I suppose it should be less susceptible to roll over. (But I know you would never do that anyways, he he)
from what little driving around i've done with it since i did the front, i haven't noticed any difference. i am curious if i'll notice any difference but we'll find out soon. hahaha, yeah, the truck has never been on its side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRep View Post
I really wish these picture links worked!!! thinking about turbo propane on my yota.
I'll have to get some time to dig through my photos and try to repair those broken links. But you won't regret going with the propane and turbo. It makes such a huge difference!!!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #443 (permalink)

Member # 208370
I'll have to get some time to dig through my photos and try to repair those broken links. But you won't regret going with the propane and turbo. It makes such a huge difference!!![/QUOTE]

In your experience what are the pros and cons to propane on the 22re?
Old 02-26-2019, 05:45 AM   #444 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRep View Post
In your experience what are the pros and cons to propane on the 22re?
In my opinion, It all depends on what you use the rig for. Whether it be a DD with some occasional trail use or a dedicated off road rig. For me, mine is a dedicated off road rig that i'm not worried about street manners so i can't think of one benefit to make a switch from a carb to EFI when propane is such a better option in my opinion. If you go this route, definitely talk to Cary at GoPropane.com. He'll get you setup in the right direction. I'm sure i forgot some of the pros/cons for it but here is a few off the top of my head.

Pros
No electronics (only 1 12v on/off solenoid to stop propane flow when the key is off)
No moving parts
No pumps to fail
Fuel doesn't go bad
Operates at any angle (will run upside as long as the engine has oil pressure, then bearings tend to seize up at that point for obvious reasons...hahaha)
Very simple if something fails, nearly 100% of the time its the silicon diaphragm in the mixer and it just takes a flat head screw driver to replace
The fuel is between 100-110 octane
Automatically adjust air/fuel mixture. It doesn't matter if you wheel at sea level one weekend then to to the rockies the next, not jets or having to adjust the mixture what so ever.
Did i mention super simple!

Cons
Have to carry extra fuel tanks on wheeling trips
Can't fill up at any gas station
Some say its a slower burning fuel so they loose some power, but i didn't notice any difference.

Last edited by nwflyoda; 02-26-2019 at 05:45 AM.
nwflyoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #445 (permalink)

Member # 208370
Ya i've heard the less power thing and wondered. also heard more mpg. i might be getting a brand new kit in a trade but im already efi so i might just wait and throw it on one of my other trucks.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 AM   #446 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Yeah, if you're already EFI, i probably wouldn't make the switch to propane if your rig sees a lot of street use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in