Mexico confiscating diesel trucks - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > Mexico
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Arrow Mexico confiscating diesel trucks

PickupTrucks.com: Mexico Confiscates Some American Trucks Purchasing Mexican Diesel Fuel

Mexico Confiscates Some American Pickups Buying Cheaper Mexican Diesel Fuel
By: Mike Levine Posted: 08-08-08 13:20 PT
© 2008 PickupTrucks.com

Page: [1]

Americans who buy cheap diesel fuel in Mexico do so at the risk of having their pickup truck confiscated and a fine assessed by Mexican customs officials, according to local newspaper and television outlets in Texas.

Demand for low-cost Mexican diesel fuel has grown to new levels since the beginning of 2008, as the cost of diesel fuel in the U.S. has increased dramatically; it hit a record $4.85 a gallon in mid-July, according to AAA. Diesel fuel prices have started to drop, but the national average is still $4.59 a gallon, up from $2.95 a gallon a year ago.

To avoid paying those high costs in the U.S., some American truck owners who live close to the U.S.-Mexico border have made short trips into Mexico to purchase diesel, which averages about $2.20 a gallon there.

While it’s OK to fill a truck’s primary fuel tank with diesel fuel and return to the U.S., Mexican law prohibits filling auxiliary fuel tanks with diesel. Auxiliary fuel tanks are common on many heavy-duty U.S. pickups used for agricultural and long-distance towing, where stopping for fuel costs time as well as money.

"It's against Mexican federal law to (fill) containers not attached to the fuel system of a car or truck and travel across the international border," Fernando Valdez, deputy consul for the Mexican Consulate in Del Rio, Texas, said in an interview with PickupTrucks.com. Mexican customs officials have recently begun confiscating U.S. diesels in Ciudad Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico, across the border from Del Rio.

Valdez says it’s not a new law, but it hasn't been enforced until recently.

"Higher demand has caused us to enforce the law," Valdez said. "We've had a public campaign on both sides of the border to warn diesel buyers before they purchase fuel (for auxiliary fuel tanks)."

In the past week, several American truck owners have reported their trucks were confiscated on the Mexican side of the border while customs officials ran tests on the diesel fuel in their auxiliary fuel tanks. The trucks are held a minimum of four days or possibly a week or longer, and a fine must be paid before the trucks are returned. The action is causing great concern for Americans doing business in Mexico.

The reason for the law, Valdez said, is to prevent the transportation of combustible fuel over international bridges in vehicles not designed to carry large amounts of flammable substances.

Valdez advises Americans who own pickup trucks equipped with secondary fuel tanks to not drive those vehicles into Mexico, even if they aren't purchasing diesel fuel. "Any pickup with an auxiliary fuel tank may be confiscated," he says.

U.S. truck owners who own 2007-model-year and newer pickups should also be aware that Mexican diesel fuel is not compliant with U.S. diesel fuel guidelines, which specify that only ultra-low-sulfur diesel can be used with new emissions systems. ULSD is rated at 15 ppm of sulfur content, while Mexican diesel sulfur content can be in the hundreds of parts per million. Using fuel with higher sulfur content will damage these trucks’ emissions components, like diesel particulate filters.

Page: [1]

Thought the diesel donkers on here might find this interesting: flame on!
Mexico: what goes around, comes around!!!

Had to watch my back at work for a while

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flhtom1948; 03-12-2015 at 09:17 PM.
flhtom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
Newsflash from 2008!
FC4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 394482
@FC4X4: funny. -as a sidenote, they have recently started to enforce a rule that's also been on the books for years: if you say you are going to stay in Mexico for longer than 7 days, you must pay a fee (approx. $30.00 Dollars U.S.), or risk a hefty fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flhtom1948; 02-09-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: fergot sumpin'

Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4X4 View Post
Newsflash from 2008!
thanks for comment

Last edited by flhtom1948; 02-10-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 52051
$2.40 here in San Antonio, not worth loosing your shit...L
Old 02-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 203500
Pretty insane! Def not worth loosing your shit.
Truggy33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 81613
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtom1948 View Post
@FC4X4: funny. -as a sidenote, they have recently started to enforce a rule that's also been on the books for years: if you say you are going to stay in Mexico for longer than 7 days, you must pay a fee (approx. $30.00 Dollars U.S.), or risk a hefty fine.
We need that law, should stop illegal immigration
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
We need that law, should stop illegal immigration
Actually, not -if the Mexicans only had to pay $30 instead of $4k to a coyote, they would all be here in a New York minute (1 second) LOL

Last edited by flhtom1948; 03-12-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Wow, somebody is behind the times.....

Mexico is slowly phasing out the Gov subsidies on fuel. Diesel now costs more in Mexico than it does here.

They are also starting to open up the fuel market to foreign companies. This will eventually bring the prices back down. It will also make the exported oil cheaper................
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11961
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtom1948 View Post
You mean a tourist visa? $23 for a tourist visa that nobody ever checks. (Unless you are flying.)
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburlynakedguy View Post
You mean a tourist visa? $23 for a tourist visa that nobody ever checks. (Unless you are flying.)
Well, here's an example; you book an airline flight from Tijuana to Ciudad Juarez. You're an American (me). There is a sign stating that it's necessary to have the tourist visa in your possesion (i bought one, over $30.00US). I sw a lady that tried to get around it: here's how it goes down -you put your carry on luggage on the conveyor belt, the guard asks for the document: i showed it and was allowed to pass thru. The lady that tried to get away without paying was stopped (don't know if she was fined, prolly just had to pay up). If you say you're staying for longer than 7 days at the border, they will make you pay up, also. Like i said, they are only now starting to enforce these money-making rules. I suspect the money hungry politicos are to blame. They enforce seat belt laws. You can't walk around with an open container any more. They are imitating us by installing x ray, drug dogs photo cameras and other technologies at the border crossings. Even the yachtsmen are pissed about the new permits that they have to buy (expensive). Not worth it, imo. And if you are driving in the rural areas (or actually, anywhere), God help you if the local corrupt Municipales (police) stop you. In other words, go REAL slow if one's following you LOL

Last edited by flhtom1948; 04-13-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
Wow, somebody is behind the times.....

Mexico is slowly phasing out the Gov subsidies on fuel. Diesel now costs more in Mexico than it does here.

They are also starting to open up the fuel market to foreign companies. This will eventually bring the prices back down. It will also make the exported oil cheaper................
Yeah, dunno why people think Mexico is cheaper. Remember, gas was $4.50/gal in San Diego last year, although in Jan i was paying $3.29. Anything to save a buck, right? So, i hope prices in the States don't go back up where they were (you know they have already gone up considerably). But then, you know every fawkin thing, doncha, bud

Last edited by flhtom1948; 04-13-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 210711
Shit I was carrying 55 gals of diesel in a drum during the Baja 1000 last year in my chase truck. That would've sucked if they would've impounded my truck. I stopped at a miltary check point south of San Quentin the guy wanted to know if there was anyone in the barrel. I told him no it was just full of fuel. Kinda hard to fit a guy in a 2" hole ya know.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Haha; thanks for good story!

Old 10-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 91791
Send a message via AIM to g-wizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggyb1972 View Post
Shit I was carrying 55 gals of diesel in a drum during the Baja 1000 last year in my chase truck. That would've sucked if they would've impounded my truck. I stopped at a miltary check point south of San Quentin the guy wanted to know if there was anyone in the barrel. I told him no it was just full of fuel. Kinda hard to fit a guy in a 2" hole ya know.
not if you melt them
g-wizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 270274
Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Red face

Drive to Mexico for FUEL?!?!

They better throw in Salma Hayek's younger, better-looking, twin sisters, to make it worth my while to go to Mexico for ANYTHING!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in