94 mighty max project, lifting, advice - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mitsubishi
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 230888
94 mighty max project, lifting, advice

New to me, this 94 mighy max for $1700 with 200k from original owner, runs perfect. It's going to be my slow project, eventually I will put a solid axle, transfer case, gears, etc, but probably not until after this winter.

Can anyone offer advice on lifting with the IFS... body lift seemed my only option so I ordered a 3" kit from performance accessories, but a lot of people are making me regret it.

I think SOA in the rear will give me more lift than I can match in the front... are torsion bars my only option in the front? What about shackles or blocks in the rear? Crank the torsion bars 2-3" to match.

Depending on your feedback I may return or use the body lift. What issues do you think will come with the bl?

Thanks
awc737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 100758
I would drive it as is till you swap axles.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48020
use the 3" body lift and slap on some 35's and just run that until you can swap axles.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 230888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raole Duke View Post
I would drive it as is till you swap axles.
ya ya, that makes the most sense... but what if I get bored

I like sneakyninja's idea, except 33 or 34 maybe, these are 30.4" with worn tread.

Anyone know what rear axle or gearing this likely has? and whats a good axle for the front? my friend works at the junkyard and they are loaded with axles. did not see any markings briefly looking at the axle.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 153487
dump that rear axle and get one from a 1995 montero sr....it has an air locker!
Guns_and_Roses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 230888
That body lift came in the mail... instructions look real straightforward, even came with the bumper brackets. Just sitten here, gonna be real hard NOT to install

Guns_and_Roses, I'm going to the junkyard to check for any Monteros tomorrow...
Anything else I should look for? Anyone else have any more specifics on what axles and gearing I probably have? V6 3.0 94' mighty max
Old 11-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 95675
the diff will have a sticker on it that says the ratio if thats gone look under the hood there is a plate that lists motor trans and axle ratio. yours will be either 3.90 or 4.22
lordtrunks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 230888
So I will be putting on the body lift this weekend with 2 friends, I'll take pics.

I've had a lot of people talk about the SAS like it's a huge pain (on these models because there is no kits, all custom mounting brackets). One 4x4 shop said I couldn't even pay him any amount of money do the conversion.

Does anyone know of anyone that has done a straight axle on a mighty max?

Last edited by awc737; 11-18-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 48020
Those people are full of shit and that shop must not be skilled at all. First off it's an easier SAS than a Tacoma and it's just as easy as oh say pre Tacoma pickups, nissan pickups, or anything else with leaf springs and normal steering.

You don't need a kit, if you want to be cheap find a donor truck and cut all the front suspension and axle out to be put under your truck. Good donors are Full size jeep Wagoneer Dana 44 driverside diff with leafs, or if you want coils early Bronco Dana 44 suspension and swap chevy spindles to get 6 lug and the extra width you need.

Or go to the vendors section here and put together your own "kit" Figure out exactly what suspension you'd like to run and buy the parts to mount it and then buy those parts.

Last edited by sneakyninja; 11-06-2012 at 09:21 AM.
sneakyninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 48020
Here's your leaf spring "kit"

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suspe...g-perches.html

And this site has every thing to do links or leafs
Off-Road Fabrication Parts - RuffStuff Specialties

Have fun
Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 230888
Thanks all.

Got the body lift on... no hiccups except trimmed metal and a nice big gap between my floorboard and clutch boot, and removed bottom half radiator shroud where it hit fan.

This week I am putting on matching front and rear tube bumpers from a toyota, and hopefully the rollcage too

So one of my friends said it would probably be way cheaper to get the parts needed to lift the IFS. What would be needed for this? Ball joint spacers, torsion bars?

I know it's recommended to just wait for an axle, but please just entertain this train of thought:
How much increase should I expect with a spring over axle in the rear? Now, cheapest way to match that in the front.

Last edited by awc737; 11-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 48020
crank your torsion bars and trim our upper bumpstops in front, get the lift shackles for the front of a Toyota for your rear lift. Done deal.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 230888
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyninja View Post
crank your torsion bars and trim our upper bumpstops in front, get the lift shackles for the front of a Toyota for your rear lift. Done deal.
Good call, thanks sneakyninja, I think that will give me the perfect height for 33's and to be happy for a while.

The yota I'm grabbin bumpers from tomorrow has IFS... need to keep lookin. What about that website you recommended?

What about this? http://www.davezoffroadperformance.c...-shackles.html

I don't know exactly where to measure my shackles from, but they look like 3" from center of each hole. So something like this, in 6", would give me 1.5" lift in the rear, correct?

Is 2.5" asking too much from the torsion bars, even if I trim the bump stops? I thought I read some rancho 5000 shocks in the front would help...

Last edited by awc737; 11-18-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 230888
Lol sneakyninja, my junkyard has 2 monteros, one 98 sport and one 95 SR with the rear axle and locker.... except it's on coils. Is that a simple swap? Could I keep my leaves?

Also are there any parts from the montero's IFS which I can swap to get any height increase?

Last edited by awc737; 11-19-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 230888
I am pretty sold on some 6" eye-to-eye toyota front axle shackles, not too sure which company I'll order yet:
Toyota Front Spring Shackles
Toyota, Suzuki Samurai, and Jeep Off Road Parts
4Crawler Offroad - Custom Leaf Spring Shackles

Since my stock shackle is 3", am I correct to assume a 6" shackle will give me 1.5" lift rear?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 230888
The rarity and lack of info and parts for these frustrates me I'm looking for a jeep to trade, preferably a comanche
Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 2046
Dang man get out there and wheel it a bit before you shun it like that. You might be satisfied with it just the way it is. Are you trying to turn it into a hard core wheeler or something?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 230888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toygeek View Post
Dang man get out there and wheel it a bit before you shun it like that. You might be satisfied with it just the way it is. Are you trying to turn it into a hard core wheeler or something?
Well eventually, but I think sooner or later it will limit me since I don't have the knowledge to SAS it and I don't think it's necessarily worth it. Realistically I would be happy for quite a while with 33's and room to flex, but with the body lift I don't think I can expect much flexing. But as for as it is now, I had some trouble getting up some stuff... of course my friend was on 37's, but still...
Old 11-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 2046
Well its up to you. You don't need to SAS it to go lots of places. Get a locker in the back, maybe one up front. If you're hell bent on doing hard core off roading, then perhaps a more mainstream truck like a Toyota pickup would be your style. But you've already sunk some money into this one, give it a shot. Go wheeling and improve your driving skills some. Get used to the vehicle. You'd be surprised where a stock vehicle can go with the right driver. Often much further than a modified vehicle with a knucklehead driver.

Don't mistake flex for a well engineered vehicle. Flex is important, but if the vehicle isn't engineered correctly, it'll get just as stuck if not worse. Your have a very nicely balanced truck there. The factory IFS is plenty capable. Sure, the SAS guys will poo poo it until they see you far you can follow them. And like I said, get that thing locked and you'll increase its capability quite a bit.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 153487
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyninja View Post
Those people are full of shit and that shop must not be skilled at all. First off it's an easier SAS than a Tacoma and it's just as easy as oh say pre Tacoma pickups, nissan pickups, or anything else with leaf springs and normal steering.

true that.

the locker rear end comes out of a 95-96 SR montero...it has to be an SR!

get the air pump under the passenger back seat too!

Last edited by Guns_and_Roses; 11-21-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Guns_and_Roses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 230888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns_and_Roses View Post
true that.

the locker rear end comes out of a 95-96 SR montero...it has to be an SR!

get the air pump under the passenger back seat too!
The one in my scrap yard is 95 SR with the air locker. Except I would have to grab the front axle to match right? I looked up my transaxle code except I can't find anything about my gearing, I think it is 3.5 or something weak.

I don't think a SAS is my plan anytime soon, please help me get a little taller without it. I am interested in the rear locker though.

Guns and roses, what is the air pump under the passenger back seat for?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 48020
Do you still have a sway bar on? that will limit you a ton out on the trail.

Sounds like you're pretty new to 4 wheeling, my suggestion is to get on the 33's and hit the trail for a while the truck will do fine. One thing to consider, your truck is not a total bastard there are mods you can buy and are readily available you just need to know where to look. We don't have books full of bolt on bullshit like jeeps but you can build your truck up with 35's, lockers, gears and armor just as easily as any "mainstream" 4x4 (less expensive if you do your homework).

Things to remember; your truck shares a lot with 1st gen Montero and 97-99 Montero Sport. Your upgrade axles and gears will come from these trucks 4.62/4.63 4.88/4.90 depending on axle sizes. longer upper control arms come from 2nd gen montero's and sports, you can buy them brand new on the cheap online. The new uppers have bolt on ball joints too so get ball joints (napa or OEM don't cheap on these) don't get the new UCA's unless you are maxed out on lift up front 2-2.5" (DO NOT FLIP THE JOINT). Inexpensive rear Air locker option that is a bolt in for you will come from 97-99 MSport, this axle is also a strength upgrade for you (some have discs that'll help stop the big tires). You can swap the SR rear end as well but it will take more work or pay a shop (typically 300-400$) to swap it to leaf springs (these axles always have disc brakes).

Transfer cases, if you have an auto you're in luck because you have a ton of options and the normal 23spline 2.72 ratio cases from jeeps bolt on (custom driveshafts and speedo mod) that will give you a better low range and make a huge difference out on the trail, then there's tons of upgrades from there.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by awc737 View Post
The one in my scrap yard is 95 SR with the air locker. Except I would have to grab the front axle to match right? I looked up my transaxle code except I can't find anything about my gearing, I think it is 3.5 or something weak.

I don't think a SAS is my plan anytime soon, please help me get a little taller without it. I am interested in the rear locker though.

Guns and roses, what is the air pump under the passenger back seat for?
Sounds to me like you're equating height with capability. Not the case.

Air pump is for the locker in the axle. It has everything you need to actuate it.

Not sure on the gearing part, sorry. Either way, if you're on 3.5x gears, swapping would give you 4.62's which is something like a holy grail for off roaders- an awesome, and awesomely CHEAP upgrade.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 230888
Thanks all for the replies, your right and it would be tough to find a trade in this price range for anything that runs as good as this, plus I've put a lot of time and money into it.

Last week I got bucket seats from an Isuzu Rodeo, which are a damn near perfect fit, other than needing a lot of washers to elevate the far inside corner. Also ripped out the carpet and was going to herculine it, but I found these large rubber mats floor liners at Walmart (only needed two to cover my entire flooboard), and it looks pretty good.

So I am probably going to try and get another two inches the next two weeks, and I will do the front first to know what length shackles to get. I'm probably going to crank the hell out of the torsion bars and trim the bump stops.

QUESTION: Is there any factual evidence that Gen II Montero UCA's provide any lift over stock mighty max arms? If so, I will definitely rip them out of the yard.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 48020
They don't provide lift, they are longer so you can crank a little higher and have good camber. A second plus is that they have bolt on ball joints.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in