Project: 91 max. nose job & new mill... Or chassis?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mitsubishi
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2019, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 706978
Project: 91 max. nose job & new mill... Or chassis??

Right.
So finally got a new fender & hood on the way for my max that's been sittin a cpl years now.
Also ordered Montero headlites, bezels, & will have corner lites an a grille coming shortly.

I crunched the pass side nose above the frame, took out the bumper, grille, hood, pass
fender & head/corner lites, radiator and the fan. I gotta pull the pass corner out a bit, the drivers fenders got pulled over a smidge, but gotta fab a new rad support & front of the
inner fender. Once I get the hood on I can figure in everything.

Now, the head gasket started dripping coolant a Lil while b4 I stuffed it, and I've always wanted a 4 cyl, but the stock single cam 4gs were too old to swap in. Thought about a turbo 4g63 obv it'd be fuckin awesome, but I've done the boost thing w audis and unless it was diesel I'm set for now... Always wanted a vw 1.9tdi but they are big $$$. Never found a cheap b3 TDI Passat, I'm still lookin tho. Just for that lump of greasy goodness....

So in the meantime a scored a 96 Tacoma 2wd rott-rockerd 2RZ pickup for $500.
Never driven or ridden in one b4 that. Once I got the p/s hose fixed, new exhaust & mouse
nest outta the airbox I fell in love with the engine. Didn't realize the output til I looked it
up, 140hp/160tq, twin cam, timing chain. I thought it was a single cam til I noticed the
plug wires centered on the valvecover. What a great engine.

Planned on swapping that into the max, but wen I asked a mate about a 96+ trans, he says
his friends got a rotten framed 96 4wd 3RZ runs for $600. I haven't seen it & I'm still in
partial disbelief honestly. Initial thot was to swap the engine/tranny. Now after tearin apart
my front end & thinking, its only really the steering linkage, brake master, and clutch hose
and I can pluck the whole cab off this tacoma, repair the frame, and swap my max cab onto it with the same amount of effort as making engine/tranny mount brackets, adapting driveshafts etc.
Really just need to cut the mitsu body mount brackets off the frame and weld them onto the Yoda frame accordingly... Then its just connecting the mitsu column to the yota steering box or rack. Yota clutch slave to mitsu master, yota brake lines to mitsu master. Toyota ecu in mitsu firewall, wire the yota harness to the mitsu chassis loom. Throttle cable... Drive. Right???

If I'm overlooking something big please feel free to point it out. This ain't my first rodeo, I've built some kraut-mobiles b4. glad to be on jap rigs now. This is my 1st full frame project tho, and real four-wheel-drive, not quattro awd....

I just think it'd be much easier repair wise as well as upgrade wise to have it all 1996 Toyota drive line & running gear/chassis then a mutant hybrid drive line w adapters running harder to replace driveshafts from the 80's. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd think that at least stateside they sold a shit ton more 96+ Toyota 4x4s then mitsu max/montys & d50/raiders combined.
Thoughts???

Last edited by vagrant_mugen; 02-25-2019 at 01:26 AM.
vagrant_mugen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 706978
Whos got a Monty or Raider here they can give me a hand take some measurments for me real quick????

Being an avid smoker and anti-A/C advocate, im always hot to find front vent windows for my doors.

Im curious if the monty front door/A pillar angle and window frame are similar enough in shape for me to fit monty vent window assemblys & mechanisms into my Max doors...
I know the doors themselves prolly wont just swap, least the rear of the monty doors look different.

Anybody who'd be so inclined to assist in answering my query, well id be aweful greatful.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 706978
well i did some reading on the 4G64 motors in 2001+ eclipses/kia/hyundae/chrysler/etc
cars. 2.4L 16v DOHC w mitsu-VTEC doin like 160hp/tq

thats pretty friggin cool.
so id just need a 88-93~ max/monty 4G tranny/flywheel/clutch/starter and i could
plop one of those lumps in and keep everything mitsubishi.

and while i was doing some body work around my engine bay, I noticed how much
space there is around the steering column and box, on BOTH sides of the engine...
...which got me pondering how much it would take to switch evrything over from
Left hand american drive, to Right hand tokyo drift drive. my poking around revealed that the only parts that are RHD specific are the steering box, idler arm, possibly the tie-rod connecting arm that joins the box arm and the idler arm(forgive me for not knowing the proper name...) and the of course the dashboard and corrisponding interiour parts. but besides the shape of the brake/clutch/gas pedal arms everything else just gets moved from right to left on the firewall to accomidate whichever market.

so im getting a quote for a RHD box and link arm for this bitch from an ebay UK bloke.
so stay tuned. im comin in hot

Old 02-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 706978
So, used RHD steering box, new idler arm, and used tie rod link
For $160+ shipping cross the pond.
That's not too bad, even if the freight is $100, still not much.
Now I've just gotta find someone willing to pick & ship me a rhd dashboard...
Worst case I'll just make a custom dash, but it'd be quite nice to have a completely factory
Looking RHD cab.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 706978
i geuss the mkI pajeros and L200 pikups arnt easy to find in the UK
so im gonna tryin work with the mkII L200 gear, the bolt pattern looks very similar
if not the same as the mkI's. i ordered an idler arm, that has the same bolt
pattern as the steering box and will tell me whats what. even if the patterns
off i can prolly work with them.

quiet as a church in this mitsu forum. geuss i need to post some pics soon here.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in