Need an opinon... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 76936
Need an opinon...

Two years ago I sold my 07 Trek Fuel EX8 due to being laid off. Now that i'm back in the money again, i'm shopping for another bike. I REALLY liked my EX8 and am seriously considering another one. I've also looked at the Rumblefish.

For XC the EX was great but I found myself constantly maxing it out and even broke the frame once (replaced under warranty) so i'm kinda considering something with a little more travel such as the Trek Remedy (I like Trek and the dealer is right next to me and have always been good to me).

My only issue is that I don't want to get a longer travel bike and have it take away from my XC riding that I do the majority of the time.

Should I...

1. Get the EX and save up for another bigger drop bike and have a bike for each occassion?

2. Get the Remedy and have 1 bike for all riding.

3. Sell everything I own and collect stamps.

Most guys I know have a few bikes and I wanted to see what you all had to say about it.

How are these longer travel bikes (all mountain is what i've seen them referred to) for XC riding. Mind you i'm not a racer, I just ride the local trails. Everyone i've asked said they should be fine but since I haven't ridden one offroad yet i'm not too sure. I did ride a Remedy at the LBS on the road and didn't seem too squishy and it was pretty nimble and quick.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 171538
I'd get the Santa Cruz Butcher personally hahaha!
rcp916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 201050
Sell everything and collect stamps. Lol. I love my fuel, I have the 7 and the suspension is ok, nothing real hard core around here. What is your dealer telling you? I kinda think you should have a bike for different riding situations but that's just me.
jeffsjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10739
I have the 2011 Trex EX8 and have been pretty happy with it. The brakes are less than sufficient. Ive swapped the from 180mm rotor to the back and but a 210mm rotor up from with metallic pads front and rear to help. The DCRV fork and shock is absolutely amazing tech for the price of a new bike.

I will be buying a shuttle/lift bike so not to tear this one up. These EX series bikes just cant handle the drops and hits without the rider suffering. I already find myself pushing it with some of the downhill sections on the XC rides.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1050
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert
I would go with the Rumblefish myself. But I prefer the grown up wheels over little kiddy wheels.
IIRC, the Rumblefish has the same travel as the EX, but with the 29r wheels. So when compared side by side, the Rumblefish should be a slightly smoother ride.
And it is still a Trek.

My vote would be get the 'Fish and save up for something burly
Old 11-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 175985
I've ridden both bikes back to back on the same trail before. The Remedy is fast, much faster uphill than you think and a joy to bomb downhill on. It eats up whoops and drops. The rear end is pretty stiff uphill which lets you really put the power down as well, pro pedal is amazing.

The Fuel Ex is a bit quicker in both climbing and steering. But you can push it well beyond it's limit in normal trail riding. Even with proper shock setup I was using all the travel on moderate to slightly hairy xc trails. My friend is on his 4th rear triangle...

Personally I like having one bike for all my riding, especially now that I am not racing dedicated xc much anymore. That being said I have my 29er single speed and my Trance X as a trail bike.

Think about how often you would use both bikes and then make your decision. Are you going to ride a 6.4+ inch bike all that often in comparison to the 5 inch Fuel? There is little difference these days in how a 5 inch and a 6.5 inch bike pedal and climb and their weight for that matter.

Personally, if I had to choose one bike these days to do "Everything" on it would be one of the following: Ibis Mojo HD, Carbon Nomad, Transition Covert. Torn between all of them...

Good luck and welcome back to riding!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 171538
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOonTheGo View Post
I've ridden both bikes back to back on the same trail before. The Remedy is fast, much faster uphill than you think and a joy to bomb downhill on. It eats up whoops and drops. The rear end is pretty stiff uphill which lets you really put the power down as well, pro pedal is amazing.

The Fuel Ex is a bit quicker in both climbing and steering. But you can push it well beyond it's limit in normal trail riding. Even with proper shock setup I was using all the travel on moderate to slightly hairy xc trails. My friend is on his 4th rear triangle...

Personally I like having one bike for all my riding, especially now that I am not racing dedicated xc much anymore. That being said I have my 29er single speed and my Trance X as a trail bike.

Think about how often you would use both bikes and then make your decision. Are you going to ride a 6.4+ inch bike all that often in comparison to the 5 inch Fuel? There is little difference these days in how a 5 inch and a 6.5 inch bike pedal and climb and their weight for that matter.

Personally, if I had to choose one bike these days to do "Everything" on it would be one of the following: Ibis Mojo HD, Carbon Nomad, Transition Covert. Torn between all of them...

Good luck and welcome back to riding!
Ibis Mojo HD!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap would I like to own one of those!!!! My buddy rented one from Yuba Expeditions last summer when we went to Downieville,and man that thing is SICK!!!!!!! Yuba Expeditions is the only way I get to ride bikes of this caliber cause my wheeling addiction is bigger than my MTB addiction but when I'm riding MTB more and more I tend to spend money I rented the Santa Cruz Butcher and I almost bought it when I got back to the shop but thank God my wallet was back at camp with the wife I dodged a bullet there!
rcp916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 76936
Well I didn't buy a Trek after all. I went into a LBS where a buddy works and started telling him my situation. He pointed to a Cannondale Rize and said you might like that one. It was a left over 2009 Cannondale Rize XL frame size. I took it for a spin and it felt great so I bought it. It's got 5" front and rear travel. One of the biggest selling points was that it was made in the USA. With all the junk coming from overseas i'm glad I was able to stick with something made here in the states.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 175985
The Rize 120 is a great bike and well worth the it. The Lefty Max is a solid fork and the RP23 out back is a no fuss unit. Enjoy the new rig and ride the snot out of it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in