Today's ride thread - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
Did 11.5 today in Huber by myself. First lap was slow(ish) but by the 2nd I was warmed up enough to push it harder and faster. I ran into 3 horses with riders for the first time in about 12 years. You occasionally see droppings on the trail but I never see the actual animals anymore. They seemed pretty surprised that I pulled right over and let 'em pass as to not spook 'em.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scooter2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
Did just shy of 12 miles today in Huber. It felt like I hadn't ridden in years. The damp cold always gets to me like today, but if it's dry it's no big deal. Saw lots of joggers and dog walkers for a mid day ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 132041
Just finished a 23 mile ride, 3000ft of elevation, in about 3hrs. Claremont loop down Marshall Canyon and back up!
Window Licker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #29 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
Finally remembered to download the Strava app and used it today. It says I did 11 miles exact while my bike speedo says I did 11.45. Now I'm not sure which is accurate. Tons of people in the woods today including three road weenies on mt. bikes who made me feel very old and lazy. First lap was cold but I warmed up after that.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 132041
I have logged about 35 miles this week. I will be riding another 20+ miles over the weekend.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
Good on you bro. Do a couple for me. Zeroed out my odo with the new year and only did 505 miles last year on that bike offroad... but I did it in half a year when my shoulder healed up after surgery. That coupled with the 200 or so I did on the other bike means I rode more than in the last 10 years. '05 was the last year I put serious miles on the bike but I'm definitely gonna beat that number this year.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 145819
Riding the couch lately, too cold outside. Also have a pile of 4x4 and bricks in the basement I've been doing ghetto trials on, trying to sharpen my balance skills.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 104357
Got 1 lap (16 miles) in at the 24 hr course today on the SS. Race is in a month, need to get out more. Az in January is hard to beat!
sg4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
Man I cleaned the bike and took apart the rear and lubed everything up right after New Years thinking I would be able to get some winter riding in. Fat chance. It's been under 35 with snow on the ground ever since.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 132041
That sucks!! I have been riding in 75 weather, been awesome. Took 2 weeks off to go race KOH, and was back on my bike the Sunday after the race.

Looking to do a 30+ mile ride next weekend.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Trails are starting to clear of mud and snow. The most tame trail in Denver area is 99% dry. It's an 8 mile loop with about 600 ft of climbing. Good trail to get back in shape for the spring. The better trails might be rideable this weekend.

We went to Pueblo State Park south of Denver two hours on Saturday. They're all clear because it's pretty much a desert. There's 40 miles of trails in Pueblo south shore. Lots of pedaling, mostly flat. Quick ups and downs. Lots of turns and none are banked. The soil is really loose rock and dirt. Wasn't my favorite place but was free of snow and mud.

Trying to get the suspension tuned and getting used to the 29er handling differences.

Pic1: Bear Creek lake Park yesterday evening
Pic2: Pueblo Reservoir South Shores
Attached Images

TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #37 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
I finally ran out of excuses and got on the bike today. I don't know whey getting going is always so tough for me. It's a fun sport that I love doing when I'm doing it. I clocked just short of 11 agonizing miles. Note to self get some chamois butter to aid in fat-ass chafing.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Rode Continental Divide Trail #1101 (Wyoming Trail) near Steamboat on 4th of July. Trail was in decent condition but there is a ton of standing water requiring portage. Must have had to get off the bike and carry it 15 times. We started at Buffalo Pass and were going to go all the way to Rabbit Ears, but both riders we encountered said that the trail was trashed past the Fish Pass cutoff. So we took Fish Pass down to Long Lake and used FR 310 back up to Buffalo Pass. FR310 was boring dirt road but good views.

I was on the rigid single speed since I was with my fiance.

First picture is pretty much at the summit, about 10,100 ft.

They run transmission lines in the damnest places in CO.
Attached Images

Last edited by TexasBlake; 07-06-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 9722
I loaded up for an overnight trip. I left my house and rode the river trail to Chatfield State Park. I then entered Waterton Canyon which is a dirt road for about 6 miles. Then the Colorado Trail starts. Segment 1 is a bitch of a climb, especially with 15-30 pounds of extra shit (I never weigh my bikepacking rig). I made it to Segment 2 (The Platte River again) and was going to try and continue all the way to Segment 3, but decided to turn around and go home. One reason is because I underpacked food and ran out by 4:30pm, so didn't have any food for the next day. Bonked pretty hard at about 50 miles. Turned out to be a pretty long day.

almost 70 miles and 5600ft of climbing.
Attached Images

Last edited by TexasBlake; 07-13-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Made a multi day trip to Crested Butte.

Only was able to ride one trail due to rain, and it was very muddy.

Did the 401 Trail. Considered one of the big Colorado/West USA rides. It's pretty tame, solid blue green/blue. The thing that makes it difficult is that during the summer time the wildflowers are 4' tall and makes it hard to see what's coming up. Rained for over 12 hours the day before so there was lots of mud on the trail.

Don't have many pics. Took this one of my fiancÚ while waiting for her to catch up.
Attached Images

Last edited by TexasBlake; 07-26-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 107014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlake View Post
Made a multi day trip to Crested Butte.

Only was able to ride one trail due to rain, and it was very muddy.

Did the 401 Trail. Considered one of the big Colorado/West USA rides. It's pretty tame, solid blue green/blue. The thing that makes it difficult is that during the summer time the wildflowers are 4' tall and makes it hard to see what's coming up. Rained for over 12 hours the day before so there was lots of mud on the trail.

Don't have many pics. Took this one of my fiancÚ while waiting for her to catch up.
I rode that a few years ago. The views are the best thing about it. Fun trail especially after the climb up Gothic Pass. I also rode snodgrass and it was a lot of fun. I would like to get back and ride Doctors park, they say it's better than the 401 due to the technical part of the the last few miles.

I would really like to do the monarch crest trail loop in Salida, it's just hard to get time to get down there and my wife doesn't ride, so I can't con her in to going.
despain85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #42 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20331
how was the river crossing on schofield pass on a bike?

Last edited by fullsize80cherokee; 07-27-2015 at 06:21 PM.
fullsize80cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Just made it to South Carolina today. Spent the last 4 days in Ashville, NC. Rode a bit over 20 miles two of those days. By far the best trail was Green's Lick. It was a pretty short gravity trail after a good 7+ mile climb. But it was awesome. Nothing but high bank switch backs and roller after roller. I spent enough time in the air to equal an entire season of riding in Arkansas.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Quote:
Originally Posted by despain85 View Post
I rode that a few years ago. The views are the best thing about it. Fun trail especially after the climb up Gothic Pass. I also rode snodgrass and it was a lot of fun. I would like to get back and ride Doctors park, they say it's better than the 401 due to the technical part of the the last few miles.

I would really like to do the monarch crest trail loop in Salida, it's just hard to get time to get down there and my wife doesn't ride, so I can't con her in to going.
I really wanted to do Dr Park and Reno-Flag-Bear-Deadman but we only had one day without rain, and my fiancÚ couldn't do those. We were also with two people who get hard-ons for climbing and they didn't want to run shuttles. My argument was basically we could run multiple trails in one day easily if we didn't spend hours climbing each trail. But they wanted to climb instead of ride. I already had to stop constantly to wait for her, but it's her first season. 401 had one section that I thought was fun, it was the second downhill. Got decently steep and a little more technical.

Monarch Crest a million times more fun trail than 401, but views not as good. Monarch has good views at the top, but it's different in that you're just above treeline on top of everything. The last time I did Monarch Crest I was on my fat bike, so I can't wait to go back in a couple weekends and hit it on my FS 29er. Crested Butte is a pretty long drive from Denver, especially now that we've hit stupid summer mountain traffic. I don't plan on going back until the fall at the earliest. Bumper to bumper traffic from Fairplay to Denver on Sunday.

Last edited by TexasBlake; 07-27-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsize80cherokee View Post
how was the river crossing on schofield pass on a bike?
I don't remember crossing a river. Is that on the North side of the pass?

It was a very well maintained road up to the top. It got too narrow for a truck to pass me at one point, but that's all. 2WD SUV pickup could make it easy. Probably even a Subaru.

I did a google image search for Schofield Pass and all the gnarly stuff must be on the north side.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 107014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlake View Post
I really wanted to do Dr Park and Reno-Flag-Bear-Deadman but we only had one day without rain, and my fiancÚ couldn't do those. We were also with two people who get hard-ons for climbing and they didn't want to run shuttles. My argument was basically we could run multiple trails in one day easily if we didn't spend hours climbing each trail. But they wanted to climb instead of ride. I already had to stop constantly to wait for her, but it's her first season. 401 had one section that I thought was fun, it was the second downhill. Got decently steep and a little more technical.

Monarch Crest a million times more fun trail than 401, but views not as good. Monarch has good views at the top, but it's different in that you're just above treeline on top of everything. The last time I did Monarch Crest I was on my fat bike, so I can't wait to go back in a couple weekends and hit it on my FS 29er. Crested Butte is a pretty long drive from Denver, especially now that we've hit stupid summer mountain traffic. I don't plan on going back until the fall at the earliest. Bumper to bumper traffic from Fairplay to Denver on Sunday.
From what I've read the Reno/flag/bear/deadman is just as good too. I hate climbing, I get if its a short climb like today in Horsetooth Park, but not like gothic pass, that had me fucked up the rest of the ride! I'm not to concerned with the views anymore, it all looks the same and looks great, but the downhill technical stuff is what I'm after. Last time I was in CB I left my house at 5am in a Sunday ate breakfast in Gunnison with family and made the trek to the 401. We were on the trail by 11, but the traffic is horrendous! Two weeks from now a group of guys I work with are headed to Winter Park for some downhill action. Can't wait to rent a bike and hit some big air.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
I did that Rabbit Ears to Steamboat ride when I was living there back in '01. First time I ever bonked was on one of the last climbs.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 107014
Rode at Lory State Park today in Ft Collins. Did 8.9 miles and the first 3 were a 2200 foot climb and some hike-a-bike areas. The downhill was worth the climb which is rare up here.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 17986
Rode the park today with my daughter. She turns 4 tomorrow, and learned today on her new Islabike Cnoc 14 pedal bike. So proud of her.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:40 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Just made it to South Carolina today. Spent the last 4 days in Ashville, NC. Rode a bit over 20 miles two of those days. By far the best trail was Green's Lick. It was a pretty short gravity trail after a good 7+ mile climb. But it was awesome. Nothing but high bank switch backs and roller after roller. I spent enough time in the air to equal an entire season of riding in Arkansas.
If you get back up that way forget Bent Creek. Go out and ride at DuPont and in Pisgah. DuPont has a ton of super fast buff singletrack with great downhills. The overall elevation change isn't as much so it's multiple climbs/descents vs one big climb and downhill. I have a 29er hardtail that is the weapon of choice in DuPont. Pisgah is more traditional trail with bigger climbs and descents with big rocks, creek crossings, tech moves. I ride my 6" bike out there. They are both around Brevard where Oskar Blues brewery is a great after ride stop.

Last edited by 91Toyota4x4; 09-15-2015 at 05:41 AM.
91Toyota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in