27.5 opinions - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 48772
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
From what I see, 27.5" was pushed by the manufacturers to force people into buying new bikes.
If you say so....

Last edited by XJCracker; 12-17-2014 at 09:55 AM.
XJCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 96185
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
I still think it is personal preference. Honestly myself and many of the serious riders I know are perfectly happy with 26" wheels. If I had stayed in central Texas I would have switched to a 29'er simply because of the large chunky rock everywhere.

Two of my friends here run both 26" and 29" bikes, one feels it is an advantage for the roots, the other doesn't feel the trade off in nimbleness/tight corners is worth it.

From what I see, 27.5" was pushed by the manufacturers to force people into buying new bikes. My hardtail frame is an '04, but every component on it has been upgraded over time. Change the wheel size and your frame, fork, wheelset, drivetrain gearing, etc no longer works. There wasn't a significant enough change in technology to justify new bikes to many when they can be so easily upgraded, so they had to change it.

Giant has a video where they talk about how great the 29ers are when they came out, now they are saying they overshot the mark and went "too big" and 27.5 is the perfect size, everything else will be phased out.

Specialized wasn't on board with it at all as they were still selling bikes, until the industry declared 26ers dead and they had to come out with something. There was a review where their 26" and 27.5" Stumpjumper was ridden back to back by testers who claimed they could barely distinguish a difference.

I don't doubt that the people who go out and buy new 27.5" bikes are satisfied with them, but I think it has more to do with cumulative advances in technology than the wheel size change. Motocross bikes are towards the cutting edge of similar technology, wheel sizes are unchanged since the 70's. However if you hop on a dirt bike with 20-30 very small tweaks over a two year range it is astounding how much better it is.

First off, Specialized is one of the companies that dictate the trend in the bicycle industry, so don't say they were forced to change.

As almost every manufacturer updates their suspension technology they change the frame to 27.5. It is here to stay and is going in the right direction. People love to compare MTB to dirt bikes, but they have almost nothing in common except two wheels.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 47968
Trigger Carbon Team - TRIGGER 27.5 - OVERMOUNTAIN - MOUNTAIN - BIKES - 2015

Personally, I think 26 is just fine. I have a 26 Scalpel and a 29 hardtail. I much prefer the Scalpel. My view of the evolution of 29rs:

Bike Co guy 1"we need to sell more bikes"
Bike Co guy 2"but everyone already has a ballin ass bike"
Bike Co guy 3" let's create a gimmick so idiots with too much cash will buy two bikes"
Bike Co guy 2"let's make a new wheel size like...29?"
Bike Co guy 1"fuck yeah!"
bigbluelunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 208566
I think it's all about personal preference, riding terrain, and skill as to what size the rider would prefer. A lot of the old school guys might not like the new trending sizes and stick to their 26ers. However, "newbies" just getting into the sport will probably get talked into whatever is "hot" or new. I think mnt. biking has grown in the past 4-5 years especially since the 29ers have came out.

That being said, within the past 2 years, I have gotten back into riding after several years off a bike without a motor. I guess I was a little old school and stubborn myself and bought a Yeti ARC 26er off CL a couple years ago. Rode it for about 5 months and sold it to a buddy who wanted it more than I did. Ended up riding a buddies 29er right after I sold the Yeti and since I was bike less and I thought the 29er was the ticket for me. So I bought a trek Hifi 29er for myself/wife to ride. I rode it for several months and slowly started hating it the more I rode it compared to my 26er. I dedicated it to the wifey to learn and get some seat time on since we had it. The only thing I liked about the 29er was how well it rolled and smoothed the trail out.

In the mean time, I did a few test/demo rides with the SC lineup and settled on the Bronson C over the solo/5010.

To me the 27.5 bikes are truly the best of both other sizes, they roll like a 29er (however, not quite as good) and are nimble like a 26er (however, not quite as good). I liked the 26er a lot since I race motorcycles I ride aggressive most of the time so being able to throw something around was nice. When I ride a 29er just felt like I was forcing a semi down a small back country road. Now I won't say every 29er would feel this way to me, just 3 of the ones I rode all did.

I believe people will always find something to b!tch about and nothing will ever be perfect or the right size. But I am super happy with my X01 Bronson C rolling on some I9's. Brings a smile to my face when gravity is in my favor on any trail!
Old 01-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Pulling the trigger on a Norco 7.2 sight. Gonna trade out some plumbing work for part of it. My local bike shop owner needs some work done so it's a win win. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should go for the 7.1. Gotta order it and it won't be here till march anyway. Just hate the color of the 7.1. Where the hell do they come up with these gawdawful colors
7.2 has X1 drive train vs. 7.1 has XX1.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 96185
Got a friend that just got one. She loves the way it rides.

Between the 7.1 and 7.2..... The difference you'll see is in weight. If you can get the 7.1 for little extra money I'd do it. If it's going to be a decent amount more then I would just pocket the cash.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 89
Send a message via MSN to Whitewater Send a message via Yahoo to Whitewater
How is the Sight? I have a Kona Process 134 and love the 27.5 size. Love the bike in general except the weight but I can't afford them light bikes.
"Having too many 'things', American's spend their hours and money on the couch searching for a soul. A strange species we are... If I wanted to destroy a nation, I would give it too much and I would have it on it's knees, miserable, greedy and sick." -John Steinbeck
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Whitewater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 9722
5010s are amazing. Bronson's are 'too much bike' for most trails. I've been on one and it also just felt really awkward. But that's just how I personally felt. I was also on a pretty buff XC trail.

I like 27.5. You can feel the 'faster' feeling like a 29er, but they still handle closer to a 26" bike. You feel more 'in the bike' rather than 'on top of the bike (like most 29ers).

my first 29 was my first 'real' mtb. it was a shitty Haro. Handled like crap, really put a bad taste in my mouth for 29. So ibuilt a FS 26. Then I built a 29 rigid and started riding that a bunch. Once i got used to how it handled i decided to switch to a FS 29 as it just works better on most of the Front Range trails. I wouldn't want to do full park/DH trails with it though. Fiance now has the old 26" FS but with a shorter fork and stuff to make it not as 'freeride' like.

I've replaced my 26" FS big travel bike with a 140/120 29er single pivot. It matches the trails in Colorado better. I found I just didn't need all the travel with my 26" bike 95% of the time.

I do like 27.5, but i build my bikes with used components and 27.5 is all new and expensive now.

26 aint' dead, but it's damn near there. The only people that want them KNOW they want one, and that' just not a huge number of people. Most people who buy bikes know dick other than what the bike shop tells them. Everyone 'thinks' they need a 29er these days. Last year when I was at Kokopelli some person said i had a 'vintage 26" bike' and she was on some piece of shit $800 29er (I was on my old Turner 5.Spot with high end components). People are fucking stupid. Hell, most people on the trail can't even tell if a bike is a 26/27.5/29 without reading the tire.

Next kool aid wheel size will be ISO 635. It's between 27.5 and 29.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TexasBlake; 02-09-2015 at 03:36 PM.
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
I sucked it up and ordered the7.1. Hard to part with that much dough but figured what the hell. Will be here in mid march. Can't wait..
Old 03-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 87020
I rode 26 for years but at 6'3 they allways felt too small, after switching to a 29 I loved the size and the feeling that I wasnt just perched ontop off it. I didnt like the extra effort involved in getiing it to switch direction quickly due to the extra weight and size of the wheels.
Recently I have moved to a 27.5 Giant Trance and I love it it has the better rolling of a 29 but the weight and speed of a 26.

Also the first time I have tried a seat dropper bloody brilliant!

There is some good info on the giant site about the wheel size differences, the 26 will allways be around but I think the 29 will become harder to find.

27.5 Technology | Technology - Giant Bicycles | New Zealand
Mudkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 9722

"Pick a wheel size. Then be a dick about it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 96185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudkiwi View Post
I rode 26 for years but at 6'3 they allways felt too small, after switching to a 29 I loved the size and the feeling that I wasnt just perched ontop off it. I didnt like the extra effort involved in getiing it to switch direction quickly due to the extra weight and size of the wheels.

Recently I have moved to a 27.5 Giant Trance and I love it it has the better rolling of a 29 but the weight and speed of a 26.

Also the first time I have tried a seat dropper bloody brilliant!

There is some good info on the giant site about the wheel size differences, the 26 will allways be around but I think the 29 will become harder to find.

27.5 Technology | Technology - Giant Bicycles | New Zealand

Hey man. You checking out Crankworx in Rotorua in a couple of weeks?

Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 87020
I would love to go but I am down in Christchurch, it's hard enough getting enough time to get out on my bike. Sounds like it will be good Rotorua is a great place to ride so many different trails are you going?
Old 03-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 96185
27.5 opinions

Yup, I get to go. It'll be fun after the 14 hour plane trip is over.

Last edited by Midwestzj; 03-07-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Midwestzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
3j7

Member # 79635
just took mine to Louisville megacavern this past sunday. first time on a 27.5 coming from a 26er (giant xtc to a giant stance 27.5.1) and i thought the decreased rolling resistance was very noticeable with the bigger wheel... pretty good maneuverability also (stance is stock, may look into a shorter stem to quicken it up a bit). only thing i noticed was a tendency to push in the corners but that may have just been me not being used to the slacker head tube angle on the new bike, or not being used to the new ride in general. i think it will be awesome once i get used to it, everyone i ride with either has a 29er or a 27.5 and i felt like i was always pushing way harder than them to maintain the pace...
3j7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #41 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Shipment should be hitting BC this week so hopefully not too much longer before I get that bad boy. Mudkiwi that's a great link, pretty much says it all. This will be a huge improvement over my old bike, Strava prs are a comin!!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 87020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestzj View Post
Hey man. You checking out Crankworx in Rotorua in a couple of weeks?

Weather hasnt been to flash latley lots of rain from cyclone Pam, it might be a bit on the wet side.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 96185
yea, and it's not as warm as I was expecting.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #44 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Well I finally got it. She's a beauty. I would post pics not sure how to.

It came with some huge tires that I would consider dh tires. After one ride I took them off and threw on some Racing Ralphs. Dropped almost 2 pounds.

First impressions are wow. The pike up front and the cane creek are amaziing. So smooth. Although I am coming off 5 year old wore out bike. The slacker head angle gives me alot more confidence going downhill. The wider bars and short stem are taking some getting used to. I'm going to try a longer stem. I also readjusted the spacers on the stem so it raised it up so that helped.
As for the 27.5s they definately roll over over rocks and obstacles much better than the 26. As soon as I start to descend it just wants to go. Seems to carry momentum better. Found myself going faster in alot of sectons.
It is not as snappy as my 26er. But I knew that going in.
Still trying to get it all dialed in to my personal preference but overall very pleased with the bike.
It weighs in at 26.2 lbs after installing the Ralphs.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 48772
Excellent to hear. Most people are saying the same things about their 27.5 experiences.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #46 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
What did you buy? EDIT- Norco 7.1?

I am not opposed to the 650b/ 27.5 movement, but I am SUPER annoyed at all the new products coming out that ignore 26" wheels. (Tires, Rims, Forks)

Most of my annoyance stems from the fact that I own 5 bikes, all 26, and would like to KEEP riding them.

Eventually I'll probably have a short travel 29'r suspension bike, like a Banshee Phantom, Kona Process, or Evil Following, but that's years from now.

RIP SCREWZER2

Last edited by the freeak; 04-20-2015 at 10:26 AM.
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 135694
I just picked up a new to me 2014 bought Scott Genius 730, also my first time on a 650b bike and so far I am loving it.

I was coming from a downhill mountain bike background so my long slog, up hill pedalling experience is somewhat lacking as I was more of a shuttle trail or cruising up lifts in the whistler bike park kinda guy. But I do have to say that the bigger wheel set is great for getting up over all these roots and rocks in the trails around Fernie.

Eventually I would love to get hold of a decent dropper seat also, but that's just me been lazy with jumping on and off the bike.
ademb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Dropper seat posts are absolutely the best thing ever to happen to mtn. bikes. Once you have one you'll find it next to impossible to ride without it. Money well spent but with a 1 lb. weight penalty. Mine came with a rockshox reverb with internal routing. Awesome.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
Well I finally got it. She's a beauty. I would post pics not sure how to.

It came with some huge tires that I would consider dh tires. After one ride I took them off and threw on some Racing Ralphs. Dropped almost 2 pounds.

First impressions are wow. The pike up front and the cane creek are amaziing. So smooth. Although I am coming off 5 year old wore out bike. The slacker head angle gives me alot more confidence going downhill. The wider bars and short stem are taking some getting used to. I'm going to try a longer stem. I also readjusted the spacers on the stem so it raised it up so that helped.
As for the 27.5s they definately roll over over rocks and obstacles much better than the 26. As soon as I start to descend it just wants to go. Seems to carry momentum better. Found myself going faster in alot of sectons.
It is not as snappy as my 26er. But I knew that going in.
Still trying to get it all dialed in to my personal preference but overall very pleased with the bike.
It weighs in at 26.2 lbs after installing the Ralphs.
All of that stuff you mention about descending better probably has a lot more to do with the slacker HA, wider bars, and shorter stem than the 1" increase in tire diameter.

I see a lot of people getting new bikes that have 650b wheels these days and instantly saying WOW these wheels are super awesome, because that's what the shop and the manufacturer's have sold them on. They never seem to take into consideration all of the other stuff that is much different than the 5 year old 100mm travel XC bike they had before.

Last edited by 91Toyota4x4; 04-24-2015 at 08:02 AM.
91Toyota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #50 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Well to be honest I probably would have been ok with a 26" bike with all the goodies and been fine. Like I said its not as snappy as my 26er. The funny thing is don't feel like I'm going any faster but my strava times are improving. I was really riding my old bike on the edge and was actually pretty fast on it. The new bike has a lot less flex and of course the slacker head angle bla bla. It's also a taller bike which takes some getting used to.
I'll take xt brakes over sram any day too. Loved the xts on my trek, do not like the feel of the sram guides it came with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in