27.5 opinions - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 48772
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
Well to be honest I probably would have been ok with a 26" bike with all the goodies and been fine. Like I said its not as snappy as my 26er. The funny thing is don't feel like I'm going any faster but my strava times are improving. I was really riding my old bike on the edge and was actually pretty fast on it. The new bike has a lot less flex and of course the slacker head angle bla bla. It's also a taller bike which takes some getting used to.
I'll take xt brakes over sram any day too. Loved the xts on my trek, do not like the feel of the sram guides it came with.
yup. The XTs outsell the guides like 30 to one.....they are awesome!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:10 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 96185
Quote:

I'll take xt brakes over sram any day too. Loved the xts on my trek, do not like the feel of the sram guides it came with.

What don't you like about the guides?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #53 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Talking

Really just the overall feel. The xts don't take as much effort and have a more positive feel. The levers have a better bend to them. The guides work great, don't get me wrong but they just don't feel like the xts. I'm slowly getting used to them so I may not have to change them out. If I had to do it all over again I think I would have built my own bike with the components I wanted. But it's all good, I absolutely love the bike. Going to race in the Battle Born Enduro this weekend in Reno. 50+ sport class. Got fourth last year, hoping to put it on the box this time
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 05:23 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 96185
Quote:
Really just the overall feel. The xts don't take as much effort and have a more positive feel. The levers have a better bend to them. The guides work great, don't get me wrong but they just don't feel like the xts. I'm slowly getting used to them so I may not have to change them out. If I had to do it all over again I think I would have built my own bike with the components I wanted. But it's all good, I absolutely love the bike. Going to race in the Battle Born Enduro this weekend in Reno. 50+ sport class. Got fourth last year, hoping to put it on the box this time

Give it a little time. The Guides have better modulation which is nice. Lever feel, well if you're used to the XT then it will take a little time to get used to. Your physical input shouldn't be any more than the XT to get them to brake. Same rotor size and everything? You should be able to one finger brake pretty easily.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-08-2015, 06:09 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 191386
buy a 29er...

I will say my girl rides a 27.5 or 650B or whatever the hell it is and she love sit but she is also 5'4 and it just fits her frame.

everyone has an opinion...mine ahs no scientific backing except I have tried 26-27.5-29 and ill always go 29 now
Old 05-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #56 (permalink)
ROCPUNK

Member # 150259
I ride a FS Trek Remedy-7 27.5"

AND

I ride a FS Specialized FSR Comp Stump-Jumper 29"r

I gotta say, it depends on the trail I'm riding. They both have +and- sides.

If I'm doing cross-country(XC) style riding. I want the 29'r because it soaks up bumps better and is faster over the long distance non-technical trails.

If I'm hitting single tracks, down hill, or riding technical for time(All Mountain). I want the 27.5" (650b) because of the nimble steering feel.

Slow or fast he 29'r just doesn't turn well, and the rims feel 'wobbly' even though they aren't.

I also feel like the 29' climbs faster over less-technical sections. Throw in a couple rocky switch backs on my climb and I prefer the 27.5.

I haven't ridden a 26" bike in years.

Bottom line; go ride them all then make a decision.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #57 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Took first place in my class Now that I've had a few weeks to get use to it I freaking love this bike!! Everything just took some getting used to but I'm finally to the point of not wanting to change anything. Pedals like a champ and smashes though everything I point it at.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 135694
After a good few weeks of riding the trails here I have to say I am loving my new bike. It climbs really well with the large amount of roots and rocks we have, although I do notice at times that the length of the bike throws me a bit weird in rutty sections that have possibly been more worn in by shorter length bikes.

It really comes into its own on the downhill sections though, an absolute blast to ride!
ademb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 48772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotpeper View Post

Bottom line; go ride them all then make a decision.
ding ding ding!!!!!
Old 03-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Just getting back into riding, I USE to be quite an avid rider. Still have a downhill bike, a dirt jumper, a relatively new XC build. I haven't paid any attention to bikes, as in none/0/zippo/zilch in the past 6-8 years. I know this thread is a bit dated but rather than create a fucktarded new thread, I'll ask here.

Is this 27.5 thing here to stay at this point??? I talked with a buddy I used to ride a lot with back in the day and he made it seem like 26" had gone completely out of style overnight, that there won't be any forks, wheelsets, even tubes soon according to him I remember the 29's were in and out and were very much a fad that didn't take off back in the day, but are sorta making a "comeback"? I guess I'm pissed too that I have 3 26" dinosaurs, one a pretty much brand new build that I hadn't ridden but a few times before leading up into my divorce, where I had gotten into this "dry spell" biking wise.

Curious as I seem to be making a lot of progress making a comeback riding, and my mind is on new gear although I hardly need it or can afford it at the moment. Would be curious what the current school of thought is here. Since I'm a stubborn m'fer my natural instinct tells me this is simply a fad/trend that will die soon enough, or have all the frame/fork/wheel manufacturer's successfully colluded this time to do away with 26" bikes once and for all?
Old 03-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 48772
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
Is this 27.5 thing here to stay at this point??? I talked with a buddy I used to ride a lot with back in the day and he made it seem like 26" had gone completely out of style overnight, that there won't be any forks, wheelsets, even tubes soon according to him I remember the 29's were in and out and were very much a fad that didn't take off back in the day, but are sorta making a "comeback"? I guess I'm pissed too that I have 3 26" dinosaurs, one a pretty much brand new build that I hadn't ridden but a few times before leading up into my divorce, where I had gotten into this "dry spell" biking wise.

Curious as I seem to be making a lot of progress making a comeback riding, and my mind is on new gear although I hardly need it or can afford it at the moment. Would be curious what the current school of thought is here. Since I'm a stubborn m'fer my natural instinct tells me this is simply a fad/trend that will die soon enough, or have all the frame/fork/wheel manufacturer's successfully colluded this time to do away with 26" bikes once and for all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCracker View Post
26" wheels are basically dead. High end tire selections for 26" are thinning out and almost all effort by the tire makers are 27.5 and 29 (and the fat tire thing....)
/\ this statement still stands.

There are still more 26" wheels out in the field but all new focus/attention is on 27.5" and still a little on 29"

If you have 26" still, there is no reason to not ride them.....tires/tubes/rims/wheels are still available today but just not in the volume it once used to be. eBay is a decent source for some of the 26" stuff too.

Last edited by XJCracker; 03-30-2016 at 08:42 AM.
XJCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCracker View Post
/\ this statement still stands.

There are still more 26" wheels out in the field but all new focus/attention is on 27.5" and still a little on 29"

If you have 26" still, there is no reason to not ride them.....tires/tubes/rims/wheels are still available today but just not in the volume it once used to be. eBay is a decent source for some of the 26" stuff too.
Thanks for your input. I've spent the day hoarding 26" tubes so I'm good to go for a while... Now I have something else to hoard in addition to ammo while I'm at wally world, 26" tubes

Guess I will look into selling some of my organs/car projects/parts if I end up sticking with biking/fully getting back into it, to afford one of these new whiz bang 27.5 or 29 things...
Old 03-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 48772
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
Thanks for your input. I've spent the day hoarding 26" tubes so I'm good to go for a while... Now I have something else to hoard in addition to ammo while I'm at wally world, 26" tubes

Guess I will look into selling some of my organs/car projects/parts if I end up sticking with biking/fully getting back into it, to afford one of these new whiz bang 27.5 or 29 things...
Your local bike shops will have 26" tubes for at least the next 40 years.....you should be fine.

Thanks for the reminder......I need to get some ammo :/
Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 377
650B is where it's at for me. 29ers are great for eating up tons of mileage, but long slogs aren't what I'm about anyway. A long legged 650B trail bike is the bike for me. If I was a better rider I'd honestly probably prefer a 26". 650B gives me a little more rollover and fool proofing.

Last edited by east_beast; 04-04-2016 at 09:51 PM.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 377
Grabbed some new tires. Gonna run a Magic Mary up front and a Knobby Nic on the rear. Really wanted to try that Michelin Rock'r/Grip'r combo but found the Schwalbes in the tubeless Snakeskin configuration for $60 for the pair. Couldn't pass that up. The Michelins were gonna run me double that.

Last edited by east_beast; 06-04-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Next build will be a slack 27.5 hardtail with 140ish travel up front.

Already bought some wheels and debating between the Chromag Wide Angle or the Surly Instigator frames.

Pros for the Wide Angle is better geometry and will be lighter.

Pros for Instigator is that Surly will send me 26+ wheels, rimstrips, and 26+ tires if I ever want to have a spare wheel setup. Instigator also has more versatility in regards to running SS, geared, 135/142, etc.

Putting my Surly Pugsley up for sale in the next couple days once I get it all cleaned up and tuned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TexasBlake; 06-22-2016 at 10:59 AM.
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
Grabbed some new tires. Gonna run a Magic Mary up front and a Knobby Nic on the rear. Really wanted to try that Michelin Rock'r/Grip'r combo but found the Schwalbes in the tubeless Snakeskin configuration for $60 for the pair. Couldn't pass that up. The Michelins were gonna run me double that.
Nobby Nic is a pretty good rear tire, but it'll last a season. Thta's why I usually only buy Schwalbe if they're on sale. Hans Dampf is a badass front tire. I had a Magic Marys on my 26" Turner and usually lasted a season.

Keep in mind a season for me in Colorado is half as long as people without snow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlake View Post
Nobby Nic is a pretty good rear tire, but it'll last a season. Thta's why I usually only buy Schwalbe if they're on sale. Hans Dampf is a badass front tire. I had a Magic Marys on my 26" Turner and usually lasted a season.

Keep in mind a season for me in Colorado is half as long as people without snow.
Yeah, really wanted to give the Michelin Rock'r/Grip'r a go, but couldn't pass up the deal on the Schwalbes. Considered running the Magic Mary front and rear but glad I didn't. I don't want that much rolling resistance. Nobby Nic provides plenty of grip on the climb but slides around a bit on the descent, but it slides predictably. Really liking the combo so far. Definite upgrade from the factory WTB Vigilantes, but to be fair, those Vigilantes were the base model wire bead non-tubeless so I imagine the rubber compounds likely suck on them. After several hundred miles the front still looks new and the rear looks like it's had a few rides on it at most. They definite wear like iron

Last edited by east_beast; 06-22-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Quote:
Yeah, really wanted to give the Michelin Rock'r/Grip'r a go, but couldn't pass up the deal on the Schwalbes. Considered running the Magic Mary front and rear but glad I didn't. I don't want that much rolling resistance. Nobby Nic provides plenty of grip on the climb but slides around a bit on the descent, but it slides predictably. Really liking the combo so far. Definite upgrade from the factory WTB Vigilantes, but to be fair, those Vigilantes were the base model wire bead non-tubeless so I imagine the rubber compounds likely suck on them. After several hundred miles the front still looks new and the rear looks like it's had a few rides on it at most. They definite wear like iron
I haven't run any big WTB mtb been tempted. The patterns look pretty good but unsure of the compounds. I have a WTB Nano on the back of my Fargo and it suits that bike but wouldn't want it on a *real* mountain bike.

Schwalbe's are brilliant tires. You definately get what you pay for.

Ended up with a Maxxis Ignitor rear a few weeks ago. Totally blew apart my worn to fuck Nobby Nic new and that's what the shop at the base of the trail had. Like it so far. It's pretty speedy.

I'm going to try and build up my 27.5 hard tail light as fawk. Have carbon wheels on order and I'm leaning towards a Rock Razor rear and Nobby Nic front.

Did the Nobby Nic you got the new one that came out that looks more like a Hans? The one I had was the old version that looked more like a Racing Ralph. I'm too afraid to try Racing Ralph's in CO terrain.

Don't have any experience with Michelin... ever. For road/cross/mtb/etc. Michelin seems to be pretty popular in UK/Europe.

I've only tried going tubeless with wire-bead once and it was a failed abortion. It seems like tubeless really needs the flexibility of kevlar beads. I did tubeless on some Kenda Nevagalls back in Tx years ago I burped a bead on the front tire it blew out a smoke of sealant and I pretty much endo'd on my face.

Last edited by TexasBlake; 06-22-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlake View Post
I haven't run any big WTB mtb been tempted. The patterns look pretty good but unsure of the compounds. I have a WTB Nano on the back of my Fargo and it suits that bike but wouldn't want it on a *real* mountain bike.

Schwalbe's are brilliant tires. You definately get what you pay for.

Ended up with a Maxxis Ignitor rear a few weeks ago. Totally blew apart my worn to fuck Nobby Nic new and that's what the shop at the base of the trail had. Like it so far. It's pretty speedy.

I'm going to try and build up my 27.5 hard tail light as fawk. Have carbon wheels on order and I'm leaning towards a Rock Razor rear and Nobby Nic front.

Did the Nobby Nic you got the new one that came out that looks more like a Hans? The one I had was the old version that looked more like a Racing Ralph. I'm too afraid to try Racing Ralph's in CO terrain.

Don't have any experience with Michelin... ever. For road/cross/mtb/etc. Michelin seems to be pretty popular in UK/Europe.

I've only tried going tubeless with wire-bead once and it was a failed abortion. It seems like tubeless really needs the flexibility of kevlar beads. I did tubeless on some Kenda Nevagalls back in Tx years ago I burped a bead on the front tire it blew out a smoke of sealant and I pretty much endo'd on my face.
I think my NN is the old style. I think that's why it was so cheap. It was like $25.

I tried and tried to set those Vigilantes up tubeless before breaking down and buying actual tubeless ready tires. Still have a ghetto tubeless wheel setup, but it's working well. Don't want to buy a new wheelset before next season. I have to get myself back in groove first. My bunny hop sucks and my timing with it is worse so my back wheel takes a pounding. I'd hate to buy a new wheelset and end up tacoing it right out of the gate.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Quote:
I think my NN is the old style. I think that's why it was so cheap. It was like $25.

I tried and tried to set those Vigilantes up tubeless before breaking down and buying actual tubeless ready tires. Still have a ghetto tubeless wheel setup, but it's working well. Don't want to buy a new wheelset before next season. I have to get myself back in groove first. My bunny hop sucks and my timing with it is worse so my back wheel takes a pounding. I'd hate to buy a new wheelset and end up tacoing it right out of the gate.
Yeah that makes sense. I'd pay $25 all day long for the old style Nobby Nic. It's a pretty good all around tire. I like Schwalbe because they make PaceStar (lighter harder, good rear tires) and Trail Star (softer better in corners, good front tires). I ran trailstar front and back on the Turner, but only did so because I was buying 26" tires cheap as balls.

Looking over the data for my next build and it seems the new Nobby Nic is heavier than the Hans Dampf. Weird.

Looking at trying out the Rock Razor for the rear of my next build and trying to decide between new Nobby Nic or Hans Dampf for the front.

Ordered wheels today. Easton Havoc Carbons. Been looking at geometry with the bikes I listed earlier with friends of mine. We decided that the geo of the Instigator looks the best and the extra weight may justify all the variable build options. Still confirming weight on a large from Surly but medium is 6.6 pounds. Chromag Wideangle is 6 pounds for a large. This will be my first build with anything carbon at all. But I still want a steel frame.

I climb so much better on a hardtail out here where we have to climb 1,000 ft a mile. I can climb faster on my XC 29er SS with 32x22 faster than my big 29er FS with a 30x42 because of all the pedal bob.

Last edited by TexasBlake; 06-22-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 377
I'm just trying to get my ass back into shape. Put on almost 30 pounds during my wife's pregnancy and my daughter's first six months.

Last edited by east_beast; 06-22-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 96185
I used to run Schwalbe, but they seem to lose the knobs so fast. went to Maxxis for now. TB, you're right about the Schwalbes lasting maybe a season.

I have a 27.5 hardtail 160mm that is too much fun. It gets a bit crazy going downhill since its a HT, but other than that its a blast.

I would go with the Chromag, but i'm just a bit biased. they're cool dudes, give a lot back to the local community and made some rad product.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 18614
I used to destroy older Schwalbe tires but I recently got a Magic Mary trailstar and a few runs in and it looks great. No signs of lug tearing and no noticeable wear.

Always had pretty good luck with Maxxis, you cant really god wrong with them.

Tried a Grip'r and it came off in 3 rides, unless your getting a MagicX its just a really hard tire.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 94747
First time opening this forum and kinda surprised how little traffic there is in here.

Some here mentioned and others agreed that the 27.5 would be a passing fad That couldn't be further from the truth. Now, I live in a mtn bike mecca so everything for every size is readily available. 27.5's outnumber 26 and 29 combined both on the trail and in the shops on bikes for sale. I'm getting on a 27.5 for the first time ever tonight so I'll come back and give my report tomorrow.

As far as brand of tire I've been a maxxis snob for a few years. I've pretty much tried every kind of tire and the Maxxis Ardent is by far my favorite. I have maxxis minion DHF and DHR tires on my 29'r now and wished I had stayed with the ardents. The minions I do like way better than Icon's though. Half the guy's I ride with have switched to Vitoria Goma's. I tried them and didn't like them at all. I'm tall and so is my bike so slide out usually means I'm going down. I don't like drift at all from my tires.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in