27.5 opinions - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Well the 27.5's do steer in the fast tight technical stuff, much easier than my 29er. No where near as easy rolling down hill or cranking up hill as my 29er though. First time riding the new maxxis higher roller tires and I liked them a lot.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
First time opening this forum and kinda surprised how little traffic there is in here.

Some here mentioned and others agreed that the 27.5 would be a passing fad That couldn't be further from the truth. Now, I live in a mtn bike mecca so everything for every size is readily available. 27.5's outnumber 26 and 29 combined both on the trail and in the shops on bikes for sale. I'm getting on a 27.5 for the first time ever tonight so I'll come back and give my report tomorrow.

As far as brand of tire I've been a maxxis snob for a few years. I've pretty much tried every kind of tire and the Maxxis Ardent is by far my favorite. I have maxxis minion DHF and DHR tires on my 29'r now and wished I had stayed with the ardents. The minions I do like way better than Icon's though. Half the guy's I ride with have switched to Vitoria Goma's. I tried them and didn't like them at all. I'm tall and so is my bike so slide out usually means I'm going down. I don't like drift at all from my tires.
Fad isn't really the right wording for 27.5. Its a new standard just like hubs. They needed to change something to fuel people spending money. The difference between 26 and 27.5 is tiny but they lead you to believe its a middle ground between 26" and 29". I have 26" tires that are the same height as 27.5 tires.

Tires are a personal thing, everyone rides different terrain and rides differently. I have a few friends that ride Goma's and love them. I personally run a Magic Mary front and a Tomahawk on my trail bike and love it. Not everyone would though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #78 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
One thing I've figured out is nothing changes the way a bike feels and pedals more than switching tires. My bike came with big fat majic mary on front and a hans in the back and while I could smash down hills with em they don't pedal worth a shit. I have since acquired a set of carbon rims and run those with ardent race tires and that is my cross country setup. When I want to do some enduro type stuff I throw on the original rims and have a set of maxxis high rollers mounted. Works for me.

Now if I can get my fat ass back into shape....
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 03:48 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 715090
27.5 opinions

27.5 is more noticeable improvement than riding a 26" wheel but it still gives that familiar feel of a 26" if that makes any sense. You will have better rollover than a 26" and carry momentum better with very little hurt in acceleration.

The 29" will plow over things but you add considerable more weight and the bigger wheel doesn't handle as well in tight trails like a 27.5 would. Also the acceleration is hurt by the added weight of the wheels and tires.

More weight = more energy to get in motion/longer spin up time.

Go with 27.5 and look into a tubeless conversion and some good tubeless ready tires. Just make sure to check the sealant every few months.

Edit: Damn... just realized how old this topic was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by JamesQ; 11-16-2016 at 03:50 AM.
JamesQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 795833
I refused to give up riding but with 7 right shoulder surgerys ,1 left and spine surgery I needed a more efficient setup. Going to 27.5 made it easier to roll over stuff without killing me.
I love my minions
Dieselgunsdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 339073
The 26" bikes are definitely the ones that are disappearing. Bike companies will always try to sell something "new", but 27.5" bikes are here to stay.

In my opinions. 27.5" wheels are the bees knees for 100mm or more of suspenion (HT or FS) and 29ers shine with little to no suspension. 27.5" for hucking (much stiffer wheels for launching or side loading) and 29ers for pedaling fast (better roll over)

Last edited by Dogwood Frameworks; 02-08-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Dogwood Frameworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in