27.5 opinions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
27.5 opinions

So after beating the piss out of my old 26" trek ex8 for years it's time for a new bike. Been considering the SC 5010 or bronson and also the norco sight 7.2 mainly cuz that's what my local bike shop carries. But.... there's tons of great deals out there such as the SC blurs loaded for 3-4 gs on craigslist. 5500 and up for a new one. Is the bigger wheels that much of a difference that I'll be missing the boat? I do a lot of different types of riding and some xc, super D and enduro racing. Thanks for any opinions.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
The mechanic in my shop thinks they are a fad and wont be around in 5 years. The 29ers will stick around and will surplant the 26er as the standard he says. I don't know what to think. From everyone that I've talked to once they go 29 they never look back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scooter2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Love my 29er.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
I don't see the 650b's being a fad. Most bike companys are moving to the 650b's. HT I'll take a 29er, FS I'm going 27.5. Specialized is kicking itself for not moving on the 650b's sooner.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Love my 29ers, but I'm 6-6. The whole bike fits me.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 84206
The wheel size debate is like the ford/chevy jeep/toyota etc debates. Its all personal preference. After working in a shop and selling bikes for a long time, I've come to figure out there is a bike out there for everyone but it all depends on your riding style and what you want out of the bike.

I love my 9ers for XC racing. I get into the mtns and want more travel, I like the 27.5's because they are more nimble and they still roll over rocks and roots better than the 26ers. All personal preference and where you ride. I would take a Norco or a Santa Cruz if I had to buy new, so you're on the right track there. Just figure out your budget, what components you want, then add $500 to whatever you decide lol.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 96185
I used to have a Tallboy which is a 29er. Sold that recently as I think the wagon wheels were just a little too big with turning tight. for flowy trails the 29er was fun. Bought myself a Bronson and just finished building it up today. Most manufacturers are starting to move away from 26 for the most part. There are benefits to going 27 over the 26 but there really aren't any downsides to a 27 versus a 26. lateral stiffness is not an issue with the wheels and you get slightly better rolling speed. I'm really excited to try my new bike since I've had a 26 and 29 and really wanted a combo of them both.

I do have a 27 steel hardtail that is a ton of fun, but that may be because i haven't had one in years. its hard to compare the hardtail to the full suspension to get a real good comparison.

What type of trails do you ride? a bunch of guys I work with have the solo/5010 and really like it. I would have bought one too, but I travel a bit and wanted the longer travel.

Edit: And you're on the right track with the Sana Cruz, Norco and I would add in Specialized to the list of bikes to buy.

Last edited by Midwestzj; 11-18-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Midwestzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 22290
Send a message via AIM to Andy351
you pretty much can't go wrong nowadays. try a few, buy the one that speaks to you most, and remember that buying local generally means they'll take care of you for life. i've been most impressed with SC's bikes as of late, they aren't following some of the dumber trends like creaky road bike bottom brackets on carbon MTB's to save a few grams (and production dollars), and their bikes are some of the highest quality you'll find.

[B]USE CODE: PIRATE10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!![/B]

//
//

[/CENTER]
Andy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
I'm 5' 8" so I dont' see myself on a 29er. I want somethig quick and nimble. The Norco Sight has a pretty impressive build list and comes in at $5545 But alot of bang for the buck and that's what my LBS sells. The reviews are very good. It comes kinda right between the 5010 and the bronson so I think it would work for me. I need something that can climb as well as desend, most rides I do are between 1500 and 3500 ft of climbing.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 96185
I'm just under 5'9" and the 29er was no issue. Don't let that be a deterrent.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 232773
27.5 is here to stay and is replacing 26 on everything but downhill and is even making headway there. The bikes you listed are great bikes, but you should also look at the Devinci Troy and Enduro, one of those will be my next bike. Lifetime warranty on a carbon frame is tough to beat.
cofo11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2014, 10:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 160650
Specialized thought 27.5 was just a fad..........now they are trying to play catch-up.
I had been on a 26" Superlight since 2001. Just bought a 5010 a couple months ago. Couldn't be happier. I would have liked the Bronson but the kind of riding around here, the 5010 made more sense.
I'm a fan of SC but I think with the Norco you will get better components for the same money. Right now there are a lot of awesome 27.5 AM/enduro bikes on the market. Try to ride as many as possible. My second choice would have been a Yeti SB5c.
Haybine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 205023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy351 View Post
you pretty much can't go wrong nowadays. try a few, buy the one that speaks to you most, and remember that buying local generally means they'll take care of you for life. i've been most impressed with SC's bikes as of late, they aren't following some of the dumber trends like creaky road bike bottom brackets on carbon MTB's to save a few grams (and production dollars), and their bikes are some of the highest quality you'll find.
This.

Check out the new Heckler, it's proven beyond belief, affordable, and has 27.5" wheels now.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2374 View Post
The mechanic in my shop thinks they are a fad and wont be around in 5 years. The 29ers will stick around and will surplant the 26er as the standard he says. I don't know what to think. From everyone that I've talked to once they go 29 they never look back.
hahah what an idiot. i was told that a few years ago about 29ers lol. has your mechanic even noticed that most bike companies are phasing out 26 inch wheels altogether already?

if i had my choice of all mountain bikes, i would want a pivot mach 6. just because. all bikes are great bikes now a days

Last edited by a2b; 11-27-2014 at 02:27 AM.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 19251
The only thing I don't like about my 29'r is the crappy choice of tires. Gone are the days of meaty ass lugs and real tread depth. On my Duro Matadors the carcass between the lugs makes a ton of contact with the ground. It's almost like tire manufacturers took 26" molds and just stretched everything to 29", including lug spacing.

I miss my old specialized ground controls from the late 80's

edit: looked up the matadors for a pic to link and it looks like they changed the lug design slightly (smaller lugs between the larger ones). I haven't bought tires for my bike in a couple of years, are manufacturers finally making better tires?
microtus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 232773
Quote:
Originally Posted by microtus:28949473
The only thing I don't like about my 29'r is the crappy choice of tires. Gone are the days of meaty ass lugs and real tread depth. On my Duro Matadors the carcass between the lugs makes a ton of contact with the ground. It's almost like tire manufacturers took 26" molds and just stretched everything to 29", including lug spacing.

edit: looked up the matadors for a pic to link and it looks like they changed the lug design slightly (smaller lugs between the larger ones). I haven't bought tires for my bike in a couple of years, are manufacturers finally making better tires?
Yes and it's also a use thing. There are some AM 29ers, but it's predominantly an XC bike and the tire choices follow this. Take a look at some Kenda Nevegals or Continental X-Kings, maybe even the Maxxis Ignitors. Personally, I run a Nevegal front and Ignitor rear.
cofo11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
Quote:
Originally Posted by microtus View Post

Hell I have had a hard time with my 26" tires. Neither of the last two rears I was using impressed me so I went back to a big studded Tioga from '99 that I had sitting around on a spare wheel. Noticed a difference the first time I took it out on the dirt.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 48772
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b View Post
hahah what an idiot. i was told that a few years ago about 29ers lol. has your mechanic even noticed that most bike companies are phasing out 26 inch wheels altogether already?
This /\

26" wheels are basically dead. High end tire selections for 26" are thinning out and almost all effort by the tire makers are 27.5 and 29 (and the fat tire thing....)
Old 12-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b View Post

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/mount...ter-video.html
Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 22290
no selection in 29" tires? might want to think again...all the good tires have made their way into 27.5 and 29.

Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo MTB Tyre - SnakeSkin | Chain Reaction Cycles

Maxxis High Roller XC MTB Tyre | Chain Reaction Cycles

Continental Trail King MTB Tyre | Chain Reaction Cycles

//
//

[/CENTER]
Old 12-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 22290
also, people said 7/8/9 speed was dead and i'm pretty sure you can get decently high end components for those systems still.

26" will never die, you just won't really see any further development in it.

//
//

[/CENTER]
Old 12-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 48772
Quote:
also, people said 7/8/9 speed was dead and i'm pretty sure you can get decently high end components for those systems still.
New old stock only for the most part.....nothing of quality is being really built for those speeds right now. Market demand shifts and attention goes to the newer products and legacy product attention is limited to 'service replacement' levels.

Quote:
26" will never die, you just won't really see any further development in it.
The 26" wheel size will never die.....but will for modern mountain bikes. Used bikes, cruisers, comfort, etc will still exist. Manufacturers are pulling their 26" mountain offerings left and right and I suspect that you won't find much at all for MY16.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 96490
After my old Airbomb team frame custom 26" Steel Hardtail got stolen out of my garage, I was riding my FS solely. Missed it a lot, but when I saw the new Ritchey 650b steel hardtail, it seemed to pay homage to the old 26 goats as well as inch into the future a bit with updated Ritchey geometry.

They are only sold frame only, so you have to custom build it, but that is half of the fun.

I must say, I love the bike in every way over my old 26er, but haven't had a chance to try a 29er hardtail. Ritchey offers that as well, with adjustable dropouts, but I'm happy as is.

One thing I find interesting about this 27.5" / 650B is that the OVERALL diameter of the wheel/2.1 tire combo is about identical to a 23C/700 Road Bike wheel and tire. So that to me says something in regards to the goldilox / fitting like a glove-ness of the 27.5. Yes I spend most of my miles on road but started MTB racing when I was a paperboy back in 1991 in Bend,Or on my Specialized Stumpjumper with Future Shock.

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/pap...ea56b.jpg.html

edit:

Tom Ritchey is a real hands on fabricator and innovator

18 minute autobiographical vid, worth the watch:

Last edited by PapeCAT; 12-08-2014 at 12:15 AM.
PapeCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
That is a badass looking Ritchey. I didn't know they still made bikes it's been so long since I've seen one.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 50525
I still think it is personal preference. Honestly myself and many of the serious riders I know are perfectly happy with 26" wheels. If I had stayed in central Texas I would have switched to a 29'er simply because of the large chunky rock everywhere.

Two of my friends here run both 26" and 29" bikes, one feels it is an advantage for the roots, the other doesn't feel the trade off in nimbleness/tight corners is worth it.

From what I see, 27.5" was pushed by the manufacturers to force people into buying new bikes. My hardtail frame is an '04, but every component on it has been upgraded over time. Change the wheel size and your frame, fork, wheelset, drivetrain gearing, etc no longer works. There wasn't a significant enough change in technology to justify new bikes to many when they can be so easily upgraded, so they had to change it.

Giant has a video where they talk about how great the 29ers are when they came out, now they are saying they overshot the mark and went "too big" and 27.5 is the perfect size, everything else will be phased out.

Specialized wasn't on board with it at all as they were still selling bikes, until the industry declared 26ers dead and they had to come out with something. There was a review where their 26" and 27.5" Stumpjumper was ridden back to back by testers who claimed they could barely distinguish a difference.

I don't doubt that the people who go out and buy new 27.5" bikes are satisfied with them, but I think it has more to do with cumulative advances in technology than the wheel size change. Motocross bikes are towards the cutting edge of similar technology, wheel sizes are unchanged since the 70's. However if you hop on a dirt bike with 20-30 very small tweaks over a two year range it is astounding how much better it is.

Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 12-17-2014 at 06:45 AM.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in