Nukeproof Mega 275 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Nukeproof Mega 275

Anyone have experience with Nukeproof? I was told they started with making hubs, and then went into making bikes. Their older ones look really bulky, but I'm really digging the look of the new 2016 Mega 275. Looks like a great entry level bike, but I don't know shit. Only able to find one article on this and it seems pretty positive. Any opinions or advice?

2016 Nukeproof Mega 275 Pro complete bicycle - – Re.Cycle.D.mountainracing
First Ride | Check out the 2016 Nukeproof Mega 275 and 290 | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine
RaginCaucasian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Yeah that looks like a nice ride. I had written them off in the past for the reasons you described and the stupid name. They used to have a flat biller meets Taiwanese catalog frame kind of vibe, but that thing is pretty snazzy.

Last edited by 91Toyota4x4; 11-20-2015 at 09:32 AM.
91Toyota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
I had one of their original carbon/alum front hubs from '93ish. Had a design flaw and i missed the recall by like 6 months. I was not happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scooter2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 62899
Do you need a long travel enduro bike for the type of riding you plan to do? I guess you should establish what kind of trails you have access to, and what type of riding you're into. I highly recommend hitting your local shops and spending a few bucks on taking a demo or several out for a ride. Take different kinds of bikes out for a spin on a real trail, not the parking lot, and see what you like (hard-tail or full-squish, 29er or 27.5, longer travel, shorter travel, rigid, carbon, aluminum, steel...).
crimini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2015, 01:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 625594
Send a message via Skype™ to Keyth
I own recycledmounatinracing.com - I saw I was getting some traffic from this site so I signed up - Please let me know if you have any questions about Nukeproof bicycles - Cheers!
Keyth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2015, 03:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyth View Post
I own recycledmounatinracing.com - I saw I was getting some traffic from this site so I signed up - Please let me know if you have any questions about Nukeproof bicycles - Cheers!
Might wanna check your own url provided... just saying and you might need to purchase a yellow star to pimp your site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scooter2374; 11-24-2015 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spellins
scooter2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 625594
Send a message via Skype™ to Keyth
recycledmountainracing.com or rcycld.com
Keyth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCaucasian View Post
Looks like a great entry level bike, but I don't know shit.
You got the first thing wrong, and the second thing right
Old 11-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 45505
Send a message via MSN to KKno
I'm a Nukeproof dealer. I don't stock their bikes because they sell them to us for more than ChainReaction sells them for including shipping. That being said, my buddy picked up one of the Mega TR 27.5 frames and he loves it. It's probably the stiffest frame I've ridden.... ever!
I thought my Mach 6 was a stiff frame(torsionally), especially in comparison to my TRc/5Spot/Sunday, but the Mega puts it to shame.
The bike takes big hits like a champs and skips across the chattery stuff. It's amazing how fast the frame is.
I've got a 429Trail on order but I'll probably end up building a Mega on the side just because there's nothing else out there that rides quite the same.
KKno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimini View Post
Do you need a long travel enduro bike for the type of riding you plan to do? I guess you should establish what kind of trails you have access to, and what type of riding you're into. I highly recommend hitting your local shops and spending a few bucks on taking a demo or several out for a ride. Take different kinds of bikes out for a spin on a real trail, not the parking lot, and see what you like (hard-tail or full-squish, 29er or 27.5, longer travel, shorter travel, rigid, carbon, aluminum, steel...).
I live on the front range outside of Golden, CO. Most of the local trails are rough, rocky and big roots. If I'm not riding close to home, I'll head to Winter Park or another ski resort for more downhill style riding. I'm thinking I need to find a good all mountain bike that will be able to handle climbing well, and and still have the suspension to handle some bigger drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Toyota4x4 View Post
You got the first thing wrong, and the second thing right

Last edited by RaginCaucasian; 12-03-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Quote:
I live on the front range outside of Golden, CO. Most of the local trails are rough, rocky and big roots. If I'm not riding close to home, I'll head to Winter Park or another ski resort for more downhill style riding. I'm thinking I need to find a good all mountain bike that will be able to handle climbing well, and and still have the suspension to handle some bigger drops.
6" travel bikes don't climb well, I don't care what anyone will tell you. They'll do it but it's not fun. I'd recommend you start on a decent 29er hardtail, ride for a while then decide what to do.

Such as:
KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | HONZO | Honzo AL

Do you have any riding experience?

FWIW I have owned everything from 26" to 29" XC to AM bikes over the last 10 years. My current favorite is a 100mm travel steel 29er hardail. It sees 95% of my riding these days while my 6" travel 27.5 AM bike sees the other 5%. I basically just ride it when I know there is going to be a lot of chunk. The hardtail is just more fun for the most part. I'm looking to sell the AM bike and get one of these new age slacked out 29er trail bikes to hopefully skew that percentage a little more even. I doubted the wagon wheels for a long time, that time is up, they're where it's at.

Last edited by 91Toyota4x4; 12-03-2015 at 10:21 AM.
91Toyota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Toyota4x4 View Post
6" travel bikes don't climb well, I don't care what anyone will tell you. They'll do it but it's not fun. I'd recommend you start on a decent 29er hardtail, ride for a while then decide what to do.

Such as:
KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | HONZO | Honzo AL

Do you have any riding experience?

FWIW I have owned everything from 26" to 29" XC to AM bikes over the last 10 years. My current favorite is a 100mm travel steel 29er hardail. It sees 95% of my riding these days while my 6" travel 27.5 AM bike sees the other 5%. I basically just ride it when I know there is going to be a lot of chunk. The hardtail is just more fun for the most part. I'm looking to sell the AM bike and get one of these new age slacked out 29er trail bikes to hopefully skew that percentage a little more even. I doubted the wagon wheels for a long time, that time is up, they're where it's at.
Very little experience. Mostly just rented a few bikes while staying in mountain towns around here. Got the bug awhile ago, and have a few friends that go out every weekend for rides that I would really like to join. One had a 29er hard tail, but just switched to a 27.5 Santa Cruz full suspension that he loves for the style of riding they do.

I like the idea of a hard tail for climbing, but I think I like the idea of going downhill more. Never ridden a hard tail downhill, so I can't really knock it. Just doesn't seem as it would be as enjoyable. The Yeti factory is about 3 blocks from my office, and I really would like to get one of their bikes, but they are quite expensive for my pocket book.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Quote:
Very little experience. Mostly just rented a few bikes while staying in mountain towns around here. Got the bug awhile ago, and have a few friends that go out every weekend for rides that I would really like to join. One had a 29er hard tail, but just switched to a 27.5 Santa Cruz full suspension that he loves for the style of riding they do.

I like the idea of a hard tail for climbing, but I think I like the idea of going downhill more. Never ridden a hard tail downhill, so I can't really knock it. Just doesn't seem as it would be as enjoyable. The Yeti factory is about 3 blocks from my office, and I really would like to get one of their bikes, but they are quite expensive for my pocket book.
Yeah, I hear you. I'd suggest tagging along with your buddies on a ride, one of them has to have a spare bike. See what they do and what they're riding. I'm a big proponent of hardtails as first bikes, they teach you how to actually ride vs sit on a big travel bike and just steamroll the trail.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
id run two bikes (fs trail and dh). cheaper and more enjoyable in the long run.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 171057
I recently purchased a Nukeproof Mega 290, for local trails along the CO front range and regular ridding at Trestle Bike Park, i intend for it to replace both my XC and DH bikes.

totally awesome all around shredder. Lightweight (dead on 30 pounds), long low and slack, climbs great and descends with reckless abandon.

Unless your really short and need a small bike, i'd certainly pick the 29" version over the 27.5".

Last edited by euroford; 01-26-2017 at 02:19 PM.
euroford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in