Used Mountain bike...what to look for? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2016, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25322
Used Mountain bike...what to look for?

There's a chance I might be aquiring a bike as part of a deal.
First decent (non-box store) bike I'll have had.
What should I be looking for?
As far as I can tell, the bike is an Intense brand 6.6 Slopestyle. Guy told me it needs new tires, and a rear sprocket.
I'll see if I can post a pic from his ad.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 245698
Like pants, bikes come in sizes, so getting the right size is a big deal.

Mt. Bikes are designed for different types of riding. I didn't look it up but I'm guessing the "slope style" is a free ride or downhill bike which is fine if you get a lift or shuttle to each hilltop. If you're a flat lander or climb your own hills, look for an Xc or all mountain category bike.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattirewilly View Post
Like pants, bikes come in sizes, so getting the right size is a big deal.

Mt. Bikes are designed for different types of riding. I didn't look it up but I'm guessing the "slope style" is a free ride or downhill bike which is fine if you get a lift or shuttle to each hilltop. If you're a flat lander or climb your own hills, look for an Xc or all mountain category bike.
Slopestyle is probably just a marketing gimmick/ model name. It may or may not be.

I'm re-entering biking (prefacing this post with that since things have changed ALOT) land but when I think of "slopestyle" I think of dual slalom or 4X/ 4 cross type bike. They used to use hardtails and short travel full suspension rigs for that discipline, which would probably also make for an OK general purpose trail bike.

What wouldn't make for a good general purpose bike is if it is more of a downhill bike (heavy, limited gearing, HUGE suspension travel, etc...)

Old 05-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43837
Intense 6.6 Slope Style Freeride Full Suspension Reviews - Mtbr.com

Made for downhill.

Seems ok for all mountain... since you didn't even say what size it was, you probably wont even notice that the seat is positioned differently for down hill style bikes.

It's a 10 year old 3000$ bike when new.

No idea condition now or what its even worth.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 613946
things to look out for would be to make sure wheels are true, spokes are tight, hubs are smooth and no play, make sure there is no play in the suspension pivots. shift into the large chain ring and pull on the chain if you can see a whole tooth the chain is shot and it will need chain and cassette. check headset and bottom bracket for play. because the bikes old most likely the fork is half blown but make sure the suspension feels smooth and the rebound is working smoothly. good luck! the bike is not worth a hole lot it might sound crazy but it is probably worth $300 at most. my buddys 2010 scott gambler ($7000 new) he barley got $1500 for it, used bikes are cheap.
Errk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 613946
just realized too on what level bike it is i see they came in a few levels. the model with the manitou fork is probably worth 300 like i mentioned but if its the decked out one with the fox suspension it may be worth double if its in really good condition
Errk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 132269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errk View Post
things to look out for would be to make sure wheels are true, spokes are tight, hubs are smooth and no play, make sure there is no play in the suspension pivots. shift into the large chain ring and pull on the chain if you can see a whole tooth the chain is shot and it will need chain and cassette. check headset and bottom bracket for play. because the bikes old most likely the fork is half blown but make sure the suspension feels smooth and the rebound is working smoothly. good luck! the bike is not worth a hole lot it might sound crazy but it is probably worth $300 at most. my buddys 2010 scott gambler ($7000 new) he barley got $1500 for it, used bikes are cheap.
+1. And if it looks clean and fresh (maintained), then you're stoked. I've not tried the chain stretch trick, but drivetrain wear is a bitch and gets expensive. If you've only ever had Huffys, though, even a dog of a quality bike will be super fun.
cmiller00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 339073
Nowadays I would say look for anything that doesn't have wire bead tires and has at least a 10 speed cassette in the back. That will make it less than 10 years old and pretty well guarantee it doesn't have bottom end parts on it.

Wheels bigger than 26", a seatpost size larger than 27.2mm, handlebars that are larger than 25.4mm in diameter and shimano brand hydraulic disc brakes are markers of a bike that are "good" from a 10ft look.

And size! Too large of a bike is a horrible thing to ride. One size too small, maybe...
Dogwood Frameworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 339073
And skip cheap suspension too. It's not worth it. You are better of riding rigid.

Any front fork that looks like it has chrome plated stanchions is not worth riding and will be very heavy.
Dogwood Frameworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in