Deore XT hydro disc brakes - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 125361
Deore XT hydro disc brakes

Wow this forum isn't very busy, yet I'll post here anyway in the hope that someone reads it.

It's an older bike, 2003 Specialized Rockhopper frame and crank that are the only original parts to the bike. I've upgraded over the years and it currently has all Deore XT components including four-piston hydraulic disc brakes from 2003. I finally had to replace my 03 Marzocchi Bomber fork due to an oil leak through the pressed nut on the bottom and Marzocchi says that there are no replacement parts available. The wife was kind enough to get me a new Rockshox Recon fork, however the new forks have a post mount instead of the IS mount that my XT caliper has.

The brakes have been working just fine for over 12 years and three continents with just pad replacement and the occasional oil change. I'm happy with the brake levers and none of the new ones would match if I need to replace the whole shebang.

I've tried to find an adapter to use the IS mount caliper with the post mount fork, but none of the ones I've found will put the caliper in the correct spot. Can I just purchase a new XT caliper and use it with the older lever/reservoir/line/banjo, or do I need to change out the whole thing?

It's probably time to get a new bike, but this one is still going strong; it fits me well; and until it breaks I'm going to keep beating on it. I just need to do something about the front caliper.

"A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"
U.P. Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 96185
i don't know of any

what model brake do you have? Supposedly, shimano says that all calipers and levers are interchangeable.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
I would just buy a whole new XT setup. Only about 109 bucks on Blue Sky Cycling.com. Bolt on and go. May need an adapter bracket but they're only a few bucks.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 125361
The brakes that I've got now are the four piston M756 Disc according to the box (yeah, I've got an action packer with all the old bike parts in it still sitting in my garage). I've looked, best I can find is they stopped making the post mount adapter for them sometime around 2007 or so. Therefore I think my chances of finding the adapter is pretty much nil.

I've pretty much resigned myself to purchasing a new XT caliper at the very least, possibly a whole pre-bled front brake at the worst, although I'm not sure how the new two-piston calipers will compare.

Every time I find something that works, they change the design!!

"A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"
Old 08-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 188446
Have you gone to an older bike shop and dug through their pile of adapters? Most will have a bin they've been collecting for years.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 125361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
Have you gone to an older bike shop and dug through their pile of adapters? Most will have a bin they've been collecting for years.
Tried that first; there's only two bike shops in the town I'm in, and neither has any parts that really go back that far. Finally resigned myself to getting a new XT caliper. Took the chance and got lucky that Shimano hadn't changed the banjo fitting sizes when they changed calipers and threw on the new caliper with the older levers/reservoir.

Back to riding again, new dual piston M8000 Deore XT caliper took a little more oil than the older four pot that I had. Using the older levers/reservoir instead of the new "wave technology" brake lever gives me a little more free play before the brakes actually come on, but one of the "features" of the new design caliper is that they have more clearance for the pads to reduce rubbing. Full braking power still hits long before the lever runs out of travel and I can still lock up the front brakes if I really want to.

Thanks all for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in