Snow/ice riding - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 48787
Snow/ice riding

Weighing buying a fat bike vs making some spiked tires and putting them on an extra 26" mt bike.

If a fat bike is the answer, any input on tire size?

Looking at the mongoose argus expert, Moosebicycles 2016 bike on clearance and a Minnesota 3.0 xlt, or going cheap with a gravity monster single speed. The first three have tires over 4, the last are 3.8.
4x4junk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 96185
my first question would be, where do you live?

I had a fatbike in illinois. We had snow on the ground most of the winter, but in my experience, if the trail isn't groomed then it sucks to ride. it's tough trying to create tracks to ride in if nothing has gone through first to give you a path. i think outside of snow, fatbikes are worthless. just big clunky slow bikes.

Again, these things are a fucking blast to ride in the proper conditions, but most of the time the conditions are not proper.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48787
I'm in Kansas. Snow is hit or miss here, not much last year.
4x4junk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 05:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 687330
I've had a 26"x4" 'boo' fattie with pretty light wheels and tubeless tires for 2 years and will make to following comments about fat-biking in central PA terrain.

On dirt (dry/wet) terrain fatbikes are ridiculously fast once up to speed. Carving singletrack doesn't get much better with 4" of tread biting the ground. It's not flickable quick accelerating fast, it's freight train fast. However everywhere else you're tongue will be hanging out trying to keep up with your buds on 2" wide tires.

In mud and techy rock gardens they are point and go with the right tire PSI (6-8). I'm not going to say they're faster than a 29er through the rocks, but they very stable and you can chug through it.

In snow....This is a tricky once because this is what they're built for, right??? Its a hell of a lot of fun in 4" or less snow, regardless of snow type you have. Groomed and packed snow is best. You'll find a lot of float and traction there. Anything above 4" of snow becomes a challenge. You can muttle through the dry powdery stuff, but if there is any moisture in the snow, it's a no go. Might as well stay home.

In summary, they can be a lot of fun in the right conditions and no so much fun everywhere else. I find my fattie hanging on the hooks far more than my SS 29er. I def ride it less than I thought I would. Hopefully we get some good snow riding this year and I can justify keeping it another season.
nyebrosfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 39799
Many years ago (before fat bikes existed), I rode weekly through the Michigan winter on local singletrack trail. I rode a Cannondale F700 converted to a single speed. I could ride OK through 4-5", then it became extremely difficult.

My winter bike is now a single speed Surly Pugsley with 3.8" Nate tires. It does pretty well on local trails in the winter. This is with aired-down stock tires...not studded.

Unless you're riding on the road, or groomed off-road trails that are extremely hard-packed, save your $$$ with the studded tires. They don't help much in snow for standard-width mountain bike tires.

Just my $0.02.
Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 40417
I have a new set of 26"x1.9 Nokian Suomi Hakkapelitta's. I had high hopes of winter riding but it never materialized. I guess I don't need 'em now, hindsight 20/20 that would have been $$$ better spent elsewhere. No need for them here...

Probably better off with a fat tire bike. Snow and sand would be their only real uses besides poseur mode. Sounds like you have a legit use case.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 18614
I ride year round in NE PA on 27.5 or 29 x2.35 or narrower tires. Last 2 seasons I rode a 2.35 Magic mary and a 2.25 Hans dampf in back of my Slash. Many times we would come out of the single track onto the local rail trail which is plowed to see groups of people on fat bikes with all the dumb crap on them riding. They all say they are useless on anything soft and not packed. A few places they ride in packs to keep things rideable or trails are actually groomed for them.

Attatched pics are few years old but no fancy fat bikes here.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 39799
One other point to mention about fat bikes...a second wheel set can easily convert a fat bike into a 29er/29+/27.5+ summer ride. Flexibility, yo.
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
One other point to mention about fat bikes...a second wheel set can easily convert a fat bike into a 29er/29+/27.5+ summer ride. Flexibility, yo.
With the newer boost frames its pretty easy to stuff a multitude of tires in bikes. My Dartmoor Primal 27.5 will fit up to a 27.5x3.0 tire and a normal 29 tire in it.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in