Tubeless tires - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 39436
Tubeless tires

School me on tubeless tires.
I'm finally sick of pinch flats enough to switch.
26" Specialized Enduro. Mainly dirt, but I find myself riding rockier terrain more and more.
Any recommendations on full wheelsets?
Old 12-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 569906
Kinda simple really. Have a local shop check out your wheel set and see if they are tubeless ready. If not I've use gorilla tape, the poke a hole and grab some stans valve stems. Either you can use Stans or Orange Seal for sealant. 20-25lbs of air pressure depending on your weight.
78levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 18614
If your tires are real old they might not be tubeless ready. Some of the older stuff would bleed air through the sidewalls even with sealant.

Psi REALLY depends on more than just weight. Riding in the rocky NE I run 26-28 in front and 30-35 in back with enduro casings and still rim sometimes. My park wheels with DH casings at 30+ psi I've completely trashed rims.

I stopped using Stans years ago. I had tires that it wouldn't seal with pin holes in it. Dismounted and cleaned and filled with Orange seal and they sealed right up. I been sold ever since and have WAY less flats. Pretty much have to gut a tire to have something not seal now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Send a message via AIM to budget76
I'm in the same boat. decided to go the gorilla tape / stans route after doing some reading.

Will see how well it works, it seemed to be praised by on the mtb forums.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 189367
I'm using Stans now, and so far so good. (Watch it fail overnight now). When I install the tire, I coat the bead area with Stans to act as lubrication and also add sealant to that part of the tire. It pops on easier and immediately seals.
betarocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2018, 05:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 38264
figure it's worth mentioning, I got lucky and my wheels are setup for schrader valves and had a little plastic insert for the presta stem to fit properly.

this let me order a pair of motcross schrader valves that thread in, which are nice alloy, versus the stans stems. these guyshttps://949racing.com/blackanodizedaluminumvalve.aspx

i've had decent luck with presta, but after getting a flat just about every other ride this year got old
Old 12-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Quote:
Originally Posted by budget76 View Post
figure it's worth mentioning, I got lucky and my wheels are setup for schrader valves and had a little plastic insert for the presta stem to fit properly.

this let me order a pair of motcross schrader valves that thread in, which are nice alloy, versus the stans stems. these guyshttps://949racing.com/blackanodizedaluminumvalve.aspx

i've had decent luck with presta, but after getting a flat just about every other ride this year got old
Those used to be popular a few years back. Seen those cheap valves corrode bad enough the nut wouldn't come off on the trail. The Stans and Joes valves are meant to not corrode and if they get damaged you can just cut the rubber off and pull them out to put in a tube if needed.

For most wheels you can just drill the rim, I did for years.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 38264
thanks, good to know. I'll have to keep an eye on them and put a little anti-seize on the threads when I throw them in.

will do the rear wheel first, see if it holds well, then do the front after I prove it out
Old 12-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Keep in mind you may have to add some more sealant every few months, it will dry up and you'll have a big ole stans booger rolling around in your tire. And you may have to add a little air every once in awhile. But it's still waaaaaaaaaaaay better than tubes. Lighter too.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 200904
Orange seal doesn't booger up like STANS works great. 5 bikes with it, only need to add after a bad puncture. Plus is made in the USA Texas
Old 02-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 48787
My tires were already set up tubeless when I got my bike. I had to fix a leak that hadn't sealed, took the tire off, I assume it had orange in it because that's what color it was, all dried up. I live in BFE (no one here will have the bicycle shit) and wanted to get the tire back on, so I used slime and automotive bead sealer. I think that was a year ago and no flats since.
4x4junk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in