New vs Old - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
New vs Old

I have a Bianci Grizzly circa 1988. I bought it new and it has been an awesome bike for my needs. New it cost 750 and used Shimano Diore components and an oval chain ring which was supposed to be the new big deal at the time, 24 speeds. Most of my riding has been on very flat terrain, plenty of trail riding but everything around here is pretty flat. I know it is very heavy with a chrome moly frame but that never hindered me. I thought about buying a new bike and went to the dealer a few times over the years but never saw the need as my bike suited me perfectly.

Last week i went trail riding in central indiana. The terrain is much steeper than I am used to and on smooth sections I ran out of gears several times. These trails are shared with horses and seemingly every quarter mile there was a water crossing now dry that was 5 to 20 feet of craters from hundreds of horses hooves. I plan on riding that area many times in the future and think that it may be time to upgrade to a newer bike. I also may be riding with other people so a lighter bike should be an added benefit.

Full suspension? Front only? Frame material? What else should I be looking for when shopping? At what price point can I get something that won't break or fall apart? Brands or components to avoid?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Indiana is "steeper"?

I'd stick with a hardtail. No real reason for full suspension. If you are going to be riding through water crossings/mud all that gunk will be in the pivots/bearings of a full suspension ride (regardless the price point) and trash them out.

You are better off with a quality hardtail than a cheap full suspension by far, you didn't mention your actual budget, but bikes cost $$$$ for the better builds/components. Don't overlook steel framed hardtails as many of them have nice ride quality Carbon if your budget is limitless. Most bikes will be different AL alloys.

As far as gearing realize alot of bikes these days are 1X front chainring/no front derailleur. The overall gear ratio spread is roughly the same as a triple/double front setup but not as many choices in between.

Last edited by FlexyTJ; 08-14-2019 at 04:36 PM.
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in