New vs Old - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
New vs Old

I have a Bianci Grizzly circa 1988. I bought it new and it has been an awesome bike for my needs. New it cost 750 and used Shimano Diore components and an oval chain ring which was supposed to be the new big deal at the time, 24 speeds. Most of my riding has been on very flat terrain, plenty of trail riding but everything around here is pretty flat. I know it is very heavy with a chrome moly frame but that never hindered me. I thought about buying a new bike and went to the dealer a few times over the years but never saw the need as my bike suited me perfectly.

Last week i went trail riding in central indiana. The terrain is much steeper than I am used to and on smooth sections I ran out of gears several times. These trails are shared with horses and seemingly every quarter mile there was a water crossing now dry that was 5 to 20 feet of craters from hundreds of horses hooves. I plan on riding that area many times in the future and think that it may be time to upgrade to a newer bike. I also may be riding with other people so a lighter bike should be an added benefit.

Full suspension? Front only? Frame material? What else should I be looking for when shopping? At what price point can I get something that won't break or fall apart? Brands or components to avoid?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Indiana is "steeper"?

I'd stick with a hardtail. No real reason for full suspension. If you are going to be riding through water crossings/mud all that gunk will be in the pivots/bearings of a full suspension ride (regardless the price point) and trash them out.

You are better off with a quality hardtail than a cheap full suspension by far, you didn't mention your actual budget, but bikes cost $$$$ for the better builds/components. Don't overlook steel framed hardtails as many of them have nice ride quality Carbon if your budget is limitless. Most bikes will be different AL alloys.

As far as gearing realize alot of bikes these days are 1X front chainring/no front derailleur. The overall gear ratio spread is roughly the same as a triple/double front setup but not as many choices in between.

Last edited by FlexyTJ; 08-14-2019 at 04:36 PM.
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 214044
OP you can spend 10x what you have spent on your bike, theses days. I'm an older guy. I had a full suspension AMP bike in the 90's, rode it for 8 years consistently until an injury. I quit but my buddies kept riding and have never stopped, 3 - 4 days a week.

6 months ago I purchased a used bike on pinkbike. Now I'm riding again with the same guys. It's been a steep relearning curve with many crashes. But fun!

Take a look at Pinkbike. At least you can get a feel for whats out there and how much. Just like everything else, everything keeps changing. It's difficult to keep up. 29" wheels, suspension, more slack......

pinkbike.com/buysell/

One thing I would recommend is a dropper post.
909kenu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 06:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Thanks for the replies, it is a bit of a steep learning curve. I haven't ridden any bikes yet but from looking at some and a ton of reading I am leaning towards 27.5 wheels and front suspension. I need to figure out my gearing so I can better compare the new bikes. I really want to stay with 3 front chain rings and need lower gears to get up steeper hills.

No one rides with toe clips and straps anymore One salesman called them suicide straps and claimed that most guys neither use cleats or any kind of toe straps. I rode a bike without any kind of foot restraints a few weeks ago and HATED it.
I think some of this new stuff is just stupid, I never felt like cantilever brakes were an issue in stopping my bike. 6ft long handlebars, what a joke, i will have them cut down to my old width. I have dodged trees too many times with my current bars, those wide things literally wouldn't fit where I sometimes go.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
Thanks for the replies, it is a bit of a steep learning curve. I haven't ridden any bikes yet but from looking at some and a ton of reading I am leaning towards 27.5 wheels and front suspension. I need to figure out my gearing so I can better compare the new bikes. I really want to stay with 3 front chain rings and need lower gears to get up steeper hills.

No one rides with toe clips and straps anymore One salesman called them suicide straps and claimed that most guys neither use cleats or any kind of toe straps. I rode a bike without any kind of foot restraints a few weeks ago and HATED it.
I think some of this new stuff is just stupid, I never felt like cantilever brakes were an issue in stopping my bike. 6ft long handlebars, what a joke, i will have them cut down to my old width. I have dodged trees too many times with my current bars, those wide things literally wouldn't fit where I sometimes go.

If you have good flats, you can pull up just as well anyone running spds could. Toe clips haven't been used in over 20 years.
Long bars have also been normal for 20 years. Better control with wider bars.
Cantilever brakes sucked compared to v brakes, and vee's suck compared to discs.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 214044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post

I had the same ideas you have. I wanted SPD pedals because it's what I used 20 years prior. My buddies talked me into flat pedals and the 5 10 shoes, they flat out work. My bike came with a 1 x 12 drivetrain, shifts fast, smooth and never drops a chain. Simple design with only one derailleur to shift.

Tubeless tires with low pressure, dropper post, wide bars, 1 x 12 drive train, slack design... it all helps. I know there are people who can ride any bike anywhere but if you're like me, you need all the help you can get.

The bike I purchased is a 27.5 but my buddies 29er rolls over everything. Compare it to running 37's then going to 40's.

Keep an open mind, my 2 cents.
909kenu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 18614
If your going to be pedaling a lot and your used to SPD's just stick with them. I ride both flats and SPD's and for pedally stuff SPDs win hands down every time. If I'm riding bike park or riding up fire roads to descend I'll ride flats. 9 times out of 10 though I'm faster clipped in. Doesn't matter if I'm riding my hardtail or my Slash.

Sounds like your from my era, I remember riding strap pedals and narrow bars with canti's. It's really easy to get more bike than you need now a days. Lots of people out there with more bike than they need. Look into a short travel XC bike and you will be pretty happy. 27.5 is just a gimmick to open a new standard from 26 and 29. The reality of it is the tire in most case's is less then 1/2 taller than a 26.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in