first bike help. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
first bike help.

ok. i am starting to look for a mountain bike. i know nothing about them so when i go into a store i don't even know what is good and what isn't. i will never race so i don't think i need the best of every thing. i was originaly wanting to spend around $600 but after going into a store it doesn't look like that will get me much. the one bike the sales person showed me that looked good was the trek 6500 disk for $770. any one have any comments on this or any recomendations.
300sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2005, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33481
Confessions of a shop employee. Don't worry about what brand bike you are buying, the quality is all the same, in fact many of the different brands are made in the same factories. Basic break down in bike pricing is pretty simple. Every major company has a bike in the $300 range, it will look like a mountain bike but it sure won't ride like one. If you want to ride around town these are great bikes. The next major break is the $5-600 range. This is where bikes begin to be built for use off road, they are the bare minimum for single track riding. After that the jump to the $1000 range. This is where the bikes are starting to become true quality rigs. This range of bike will ride very well off road and will last a good while. You get what you pay for in this sport so it is pretty simple.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper
ok. i am starting to look for a mountain bike. i know nothing about them so when i go into a store i don't even know what is good and what isn't. i will never race so i don't think i need the best of every thing. i was originaly wanting to spend around $600 but after going into a store it doesn't look like that will get me much. the one bike the sales person showed me that looked good was the trek 6500 disk for $770. any one have any comments on this or any recomendations.
I'm also a bike shop slave and all I have to say is that you DON'T need disk brakes. Spend as much as you can on a bike without discs and you will get more for your money. Trek is a great brand to be looking at. Lifetime warranty on craftmanship and they are not going away EVER. They always back thier shit up with good customer service.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Another bike shop employee here. I also recommend the trek. 4500 is a great beginner bike. i'd say get that and see if you're going to stick woth the sport. Then if you like it you can upgrade to disks later and do whatever else you want. Everyone should start off with a hardtail with V-Brakes in the beginning. Then when you get further down the line and get that shiny new pimped out full suspension with disks you can appreciate it. Hardtails force people to learn how to ride. Beginners with FS don't learn to flow with the trail, they tend to just run everything over. I can tell you that I have gotten alot sloppier myself after going FS. Good luck, MTBing is an awesome sport.

91Toyota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2005, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 31771
Hi sorry to hijack but i was wondering if you guys that work at bike shops could tell me if the new 05 trek liquid 25 would be a good all mountain bike for a clydesdale or should i step up to the 55.
OrygunXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2005, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Toyota4x4
Another bike shop employee here. I also recommend the trek. 4500 is a great beginner bike. i'd say get that and see if you're going to stick woth the sport. Then if you like it you can upgrade to disks later and do whatever else you want. Everyone should start off with a hardtail with V-Brakes in the beginning. Then when you get further down the line and get that shiny new pimped out full suspension with disks you can appreciate it. Hardtails force people to learn how to ride. Beginners with FS don't learn to flow with the trail, they tend to just run everything over. I can tell you that I have gotten alot sloppier myself after going FS. Good luck, MTBing is an awesome sport.

so the local kids aren't going to make fun of me if i ride by on a 4500? the $500 with v brakes is more what i had in mind to spend considering the amount i am ACCTUALLY going to be using it. i see they have teh 4500 with disks for $600. do you feel it prob isn't worth it.
thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 41026
The disks that come on the 4500 suck anyway. I'd reather have V brakes than those disks.

The liquid frames are all the same, components are going be be the only thing different. Both liquids should hold up to a clyde just fine, as long as you aren't hucking cliffs with it.
91Toyota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2005, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
would there be any advantage to getting the 6500 with v brakes over the 4500 disk brakes. that is about the price ($600) i had in mind. i will spend more if nesasary. for about 600, is there any other brands i should be looking at?
thanks for your help
Old 02-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
after looking around a bit more, i think i have narrowed the choice down to two bikes: the gary fisher tassajara and the trek 6500. i am under the impression that the gf has slightly beter components than the trek. the gf also has a 100mm manitou axel elite fork vs. the trek 80mm manitou axel comp. i am not sure if the extera travel is something to even consider. the gary fisher is slightly more expensive than the trek but i am still wondering if i am missing something. trek has been recomended already but what about the gf?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 35471
Send a message via AIM to themontashu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper
after looking around a bit more, i think i have narrowed the choice down to two bikes: the gary fisher tassajara and the trek 6500. i am under the impression that the gf has slightly beter components than the trek. the gf also has a 100mm manitou axel elite fork vs. the trek 80mm manitou axel comp. i am not sure if the extera travel is something to even consider. the gary fisher is slightly more expensive than the trek but i am still wondering if i am missing something. trek has been recomended already but what about the gf?
the extra 20mm of travel will make your ride a bit smoother off road. the parts on the fisher is a little bit better I would go with that one.
themontashu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2005, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
thanks. i already did. i did a side by side comparison of the specs and the gf came out a bit on top. i still think the trek looked better but that isn't what i was after.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in