$250 Iron Horse Yakuza -Rebuild - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 685778
$250 Iron Horse Yakuza -Rebuild

Picked this thing up off the local craigslist last month. Previous owner painted it white over the factory paint because he didn't like the stock graphics. I didn't care too much, I just wanted a full suspension bike and saw this as a good starting point to build a good all around trail bike without dropping a ton of coin at one time.

Here's a shitty cell phone shot of how it looked when I brought it home...and cleaned it.

It had the stock WTB dual duty wheels, Spinner Ammo fork, Fox Vanilla R rear shock, ITS Ninja 2.65 front and 2.35 rear tires, SRAM X-4 shifter and rear derailleur, Tektro rear mechanical brake with front and rear rotors. No front brake lever or caliper.

Fawker weighed 43.5lbs.

I stripped the bike down and got to work removing every trace of paint from the frame and rear suspension arm.

Then primed, painted, and cleared the thing then re-assembled with a set of Transistion Revolution 32 wheels and Avid Elixir CR 203mm hydraulic discs.

Got some Troy Lee Designs ODI lock-ons, a SRAM XO rear derailleur, and scored a RockShox Monarch 4.2 High Volume rear shock.

Last edited by ProjectWin; 11-24-2010 at 11:45 PM.
ProjectWin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 685778
After all that work I weighed it again...

42.1lbs.

Ordered some Crank Bros. Candy Xs for it and slapped them on. I run Candy Cs on my 29er, figured I might as well just get another set of cheap Candys.

I knew I didn't NEED those big-ass 2.65 front and 2.35 rear tires so I picked up a set of 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC Pros. Mounted them and re-weighed the bike...

37.1lbs! Lost 5lbs of rotating mass!

I'm thinking these 203mm rotors just might be overkill now.

Fawked up the new paint while working on it. Was taking the chain apart and it whipped around and slapped the top of the rear swingarm...fawking up the paint. Placed a sticker over it and put one under where the rear derailleur cable contacts the swingarm.

The next thing to do is get some XO triggers and a decent front fork. This thing is horrid...and it's a boat anchor. I'm thinking I can lose another 5-7lbs easy just by changing forks. If I go with a 140mm Lefty I can probably shed 8-9lbs.

Then there's other little things like crankset/bottom bracket, seat/seatpost, and handlebars that I can change to shed more weight. I'm curious to see just how light this thing can get.

Riding it is a fawkin' blast. I'm strong in the legs so going uphill isn't too bad. It doesn't climb as well as my hardtail 29er but I don't expect it to.

Point the bastard downhill and it's ready to be driven like a tank. If the front fork was smoother and didn't clunk at full extension I'd be happy. It works, it's just clunky...and heavy.

It'll come around. I figure a sub-30lb FS ride based on a 2006 Freeride frame won't be too bad as an all-around ride.

Last edited by ProjectWin; 11-25-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
This is a cool build How much do you think you have into it? I don't know much about bikes yet, I just have a '07 (i think) Kona Coiler and I really don't like the front forks, Marzocchi Bomber with spring/air combo. I mostly do free-rides with an occasional downhill and like to do some light jumping. Got a recommendation?

Sorry for the hi-jack, your ride is sick

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 685778
Bike: $250
Paint: $60
Wheels: $200
Brakes: $200
Tires/Tubes: $100
Shock: $220
Rear derailleur: $172
Grips: $32

So far...

You know me, though. I 'd much rather build than buy.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 685778
XO triggers.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 53918
Nice ride.

I hate to bring it up but have you thought about it may have fallen off the back of a truck somewhere. Craigslist is the most popular way of selling stolen bikes. Only paying 250 for it should be the first clue and second was the repaint. Bike's kind of new for that. Maybe it wasn't stolen but to protect yourself i would call the local PD (and surrounding areas to be sure) and have them run the serial number. Just tell them you bought the bike and wanted to make sure it isn't stolen. If it is, your out 250 but if it isn't and you get caught with it later, you could be charged with a felony.

When looking at classified adds I would suggest a "too good to be true" add probably is.
01 F250 PSD
TLCA #11944
General Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 685778
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Sherman View Post
I hate to bring it up but have you thought about it may have fallen off the back of a truck somewhere. Craigslist is the most popular way of selling stolen bikes. Only paying 250 for it should be the first clue and second was the repaint. Bike's kind of new for that. Maybe it wasn't stolen but to protect yourself i would call the local PD (and surrounding areas to be sure) and have them run the serial number. Just tell them you bought the bike and wanted to make sure it isn't stolen. If it is, your out 250 but if it isn't and you get caught with it later, you could be charged with a felony.

When looking at classified adds I would suggest a "too good to be true" add probably is.
Just because I mentioned it was on Craigslist you think it's too good to be true and stolen?

Have you ever bought items from soldiers that are about to PCS or deploy? They will sell stuff cheap - but this was a cheap bike to begin with. This is a 2006 model bike that had a MSRP of $770. It belonged to a soldier that was due to deploy soon and he was getting rid of stuff before the deployment. The $250 tag was due in part to it needing work. Dude initially wanted $350 (half of what he paid for it) but I didn't feel like paying that. There was no front brake on it and the rear derailleur had shift issues. It had X-4 triggers and rear derailleur and some Shimano pedals. Told him to keep the pedals and I'd give him $200 because it needed a good bit of work.

We haggled and settled on $250.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 140948
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Sherman View Post

Ummmm.... no.
Shuttermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 685778
Been riding it. Still need a new front fork.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in