Rear mount radiator tech: - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
Rear mount radiator tech:

Since there is WAY to much chit chat fluff in here, I thought we needed another solid tech thread.

Many of us delving into the deep stuff relocate our radiators into the rear. There are several different approaches; this thread is to talk about them. You can find how I did mine here: https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...light=radiator

Figured now that we have a mud forum it was time to drag it out of the depths of the Ford forum.

Discuss
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 119083
this is a great idea. But is it worth doing on a street legal trail rig that only sees bumper deep mudwith 4" lift and 37's?
Lucky13offroad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 108381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13offroad2 View Post
this is a great idea. But is it worth doing on a street legal trail rig that only sees bumper deep mudwith 4" lift and 37's?
For street legal, maybe not. If you mostly use it in the mud, then yes. Just because the mud is bumper deep, doesn't mean the backside of the radiator isn't getting a good coat of mud from the tires. I learned the hard way.
JACKSTND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 126955
Was wanting to do this on my truck was curious the effects it would have on a diesel motor since i have not seen it done on one...another complication i was concerned with would be it being a crewcab would it put serious strain on the pump?
kaosinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 104943
Hey look pictures finally
crazyredneckanyhow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 48292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13offroad2 View Post

bumber deep mud on 37's is pretty thick mud. Definitely need some sort of radiator protection if your rig is not jacked 10' in the air and about to tip over when sitting.

Last edited by slightdrift; 01-10-2009 at 11:27 PM.
slightdrift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 127081
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosinc View Post
Was wanting to do this on my truck was curious the effects it would have on a diesel motor since i have not seen it done on one...another complication i was concerned with would be it being a crewcab would it put serious strain on the pump?
I would get rid of the mechanical pump and run two electric pumps in line using all -16an lines. If you want to go on the cheap route you can use some cheap rubber hose and they have some 12v water pumps from Harbor Freight for about $30 a pop or so. Use one on each side(one going to the rad one going from the rad) perpendicular from each other and you can even put in a 3 position switch with a temp sensor so you can have it off, temp switch and on. Should hold you up just fine.
prefab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Send a message via AIM to iniviate
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefab View Post
I would get rid of the mechanical pump and run two electric pumps in line using all -16an lines. If you want to go on the cheap route you can use some cheap rubber hose and they have some 12v water pumps from Harbor Freight for about $30 a pop or so. Use one on each side(one going to the rad one going from the rad) perpendicular from each other and you can even put in a 3 position switch with a temp sensor so you can have it off, temp switch and on. Should hold you up just fine.

there is no need for all of that. the stock pump will work just fine. my buddys truck has a 3" x 6" frame, filled with water. his stock pump moves it from the length of the truck and back without issue.

i used thin metal piping to run mine to the rear, with radiator hose where i needed a connection i could take apart. i welded up my own bends and connections everywhere else.

the biggest thing you need to do is have an air bleed at the high point at your motor.... other than that, it's pretty simple.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 80854
I see alot of people running exhaust tubing in the channel of the frame, and running regular radiator hoses to tie into the radiator and WP. I've also seen guys run the radiator in the front and run lines to one in the back also. I'd like to run mine in the rear, but im afraid it will get too hot in the cab. (K5 Blazer)
Old 01-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 109933
do you have to worry about rust forming on the inside of the pipe if your using metal for the runners to the rear? ive looked into other options but stainless is expensive and pvc is not great for cold weather so if yall have not had any trouble with it then i may give it a shot.
tmwilli9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 56696
I ran rear mounted radiator on my last two rigs. I ran a large four core chevy radiator with dual electric fans. There is no need for auxiliary water pumps as the stocker will get the job done just fine. To combat rust I used galvanized fence pipe to run the water in. Some have used rubber hose all the way to the back but I like the fact that the water will lose heat on the way to the radiator and back when running metal pipe. You definitely must have an air bleed at the highest point of the motor. I used a petcock from a radiator to purge the air out. I also drill a small 1/8" hole in the t stat so when you fill up your system it will bleed all the air out instead of having to warm the motor up to finish filling. Also I've seen a lot of systems done wrong where they crossed the hoses and ran the return to the bottom and the suction to the top. Make sure the lower radiator hose goes to the bottom of the radiator and the top hose to the top.....and make sure you get lots of air flow across the radiator....properly designed systems will work with all the stock parts.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 109933
yeah, ive heard of people using concrete hose but it too is expensive. the galvanized direction seems to be the way to go for budget builders like me. do you still use a valve on the engine if the rad cap is the highest point in the system?
tmwilli9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 65863
any pics of these set ups?

and what do you guys think about just running an extra water container in the back for extra water supply???? good or bad idea???
85gmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 44856
Send a message via AIM to DownNDirty
I wouldn't worry about rust. Antifreeze is pretty good at combating the formation of rust. Cast iron blocks don't seem to rust from the inside out.
DownNDirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Member # 39312
In this truck you can see the galvanized exhaust pipe right above the frame in the front wheel well.

I don't think you would need an extra tank. You already get the extra capacity from the length of tube. Between the inlet and return lines (2" IIRC) going from the bed to the engine bay, there was quite a bit more water needed to fill it. The stock water pump in the 304 (wagoneer frame/drivetrain) seemed to keep the water moving just fine.

Another guy I know works for a pool company and he gets the stainless hand rail tube from near the pool steps whenever they tear one down. If ya know a pool guy it might be a good cheap source. It already has nice bends too
Old 01-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 63388
i have always used the pipes out of a toyota mr2 , they come with bleeds and all and are s/s , and pretty much every mr2 has them still in it
tristanp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 38560
I did mine an interesting way, I run two aluminum radiators in the bed, I turned my electric water pump upside down so instead of going out bottom passenger side it goes up to the drivers side. Then I turned the neck on the intake around so both lines run right down the intake next to the valve covers and down the back of the motor and follow the bellhousing of the tranny and then go up into the bed. It worked really slick. I run a front and rear motor plate and I didn't want the pipe going under each plate below the frame, this way it all stays confined in the engine compartment. I'll try to get some pics this weekend to better explain how they look. I just used exhaust tubing and radiator hoses at the elbows.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/U][/COLOR]
tie6044 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85gmac View Post
any pics of these set ups?

and what do you guys think about just running an extra water container in the back for extra water supply???? good or bad idea???
You didn't click on the link in post number one, did you? I run an overflow container off the rad cap, much like the stock setup. Thats it. As has already been mentioned, you are already adding a shit ton of extra capacity simply due to the remote tubing.
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 56696
At the race car shop they also have a waterneck that has a radiator cap on it....run a cap at the engine and one back at the radiator....buddy has one like that...I prefer the petcock valve on the waterneck. You can find the waternecks with the thermovacuum switch on them so the neck already has threads..
Old 01-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 123202
I used aluminized exhaust tubing, way cheaper than stainless and easy to get. It's been on the truck for 6 years with no problems.

Last edited by mudevil; 01-18-2009 at 12:13 PM.
mudevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 67828
Send a message via AIM to Nskeeter99
when i started my build i did not plan on putting the rad in the bed but with now room up front i had to put in the bed. anyway i used corrugated stainless steal hose. Its like the kits you use to make your stuff all pretty but i found and industrial hose web sight and ordered 30 feet of it to give enough and i used stander rad hoses to connect at the corners. As a bleeder Chevy lumanas have two in there blocks. The have a small hole when you unscrew them to let air out, it worked better for me than the rad drain cock.

Skeeter
Nskeeter99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy_old_fart
In my next version, I will use 1 3/4 aluminum tube, .090 wall. I got a bunch of it, cheap. The military used to use them for tent stakes on the GP Medium tents... and they have slip fit couplers, so i if i want to weld it, i have an inner liner at the weld... light, cheap, dissipates heat, and fits in my tubing bender for cool looking bends.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 40761
anyone actually have any pictures of how to mount the radiator in the rear of a wrangler?
R&S custom fab buggy, LSX, Team MARR #696
wgilbertpt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 124760
heres what i got
THE PUP
Samurai rear mount ( hot as hell in the cab )
Hard to get good pictures its tiny back there

PIT BULL chevy s-10 bed

Train Horn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 117070
Train Horn, A couple of quick questions on the sami. How warm would you say it gets in there? about what temp(motor) does it run? is it a pain to fill the gas tank with the rad there, and how warm does the tank get and does it/did it cause fuel issues? a last one, are the fans set up as pushers or pullers? thanks.

Last edited by blazentrout; 07-28-2009 at 10:06 PM.
blazentrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in