4wd Swapping a Ford Bump - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 753289
4wd Swapping a Ford Bump

Ive always been curious and really wanting to do a 4wd swap with my truck but I would like to do a 4 link set up. I had read a forum on a person that did the swap using some 14 King Shocks and a certain Length Shock hoops, My question is what length of shock hoops should I purchase to do this swap? 12 inch or 14 inch or another length? I have decent welding and cutting skills but not much fabrication knowledge so I do have a big disadvantage here.

Will be on a 1970 Ford F250 with the AWESOME I beam suspension
Unfortunately I cannot post the link to his build yet

Last edited by 70FE250; 04-27-2017 at 10:02 AM.
70FE250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 753289
Also am not a huge suspension guru when it comes to aftermarket suspension with things such as coilovers. His truck received what looks like 8 inches of lift with the new shocks installed and I am unsure of how to decide on what kind of coilovers I want
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2017, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Mock up the front axle. Set at full bump. Compress shocks, measure for shock hoops.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 753289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Mock up the front axle. Set at full bump. Compress shocks, measure for shock hoops.
since this will be a custom setup, I can put full bump at any length I would like, correct?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70FE250 View Post
since this will be a custom setup, I can put full bump at any length I would like, correct?
Yep. Unless it's a dedicated crawler, I wouldn't push the shocks through the hood. Given my experience with my 67 2wd, you could use a 14" shock or 12 if you don't want to cut the inner fenders too much. Most likely. Mock it up and go from there.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 753289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Yep. Unless it's a dedicated crawler, I wouldn't push the shocks through the hood. Given my experience with my 67 2wd, you could use a 14" shock or 12 if you don't want to cut the inner fenders too much. Most likely. Mock it up and go from there.
Perfect, thisll be my first hardcore suspension modification and Id like to do it right. Any idea on good shock hoops to purchase?
Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 858222
I'm a 92 F150 but Barnes4wd adjustable hoops worked perfect up to 21" I believe
Dana 60F/70R 4:10
92Flareside150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in