Spool install - do I touch the pinion? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67642
Spool install - do I touch the pinion?

I just want to verify this, as I haven't seen it addressed. When I'm installing a spool, but keeping the gears the same, do I need to even touch the pinion, or just get the spool lined up right to the pinion as it sits?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 145904
Leave it. But make sure there is some preload. Install spool set backlash etc and verify pattern.
winter4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 69594
As long as the bearings and preload are ok, and you can get a good pattern without touching it, I would leave it alone.
TrikeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 67642
Thanks!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 155394
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter4x View Post
Leave it. But make sure there is some preload. Install spool set backlash etc and verify pattern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikeKid View Post
As long as the bearings and preload are ok, and you can get a good pattern without touching it, I would leave it alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom1016 View Post
I just want to verify this, as I haven't seen it addressed. When I'm installing a spool, but keeping the gears the same, do I need to even touch the pinion, or just get the spool lined up right to the pinion as it sits?

Agreed, but that doesn't mean you WONT have to mess with it depending on what the pattern shows you. If you can't get it with adjusting backlash, be ready to pull it all out if your setup isn't perfect. Especially if those gears were previously changed by someone else and you didn't see a pattern and get a good look at the pinion depth going into the carrier/spool swap... you can never be sure if you didn't do it yourself.

I'd also check the runout of the ring surface on spool before you put it in. Make sure everything is surgical clean. I had one little grain of sand under a ring gear throw out my setup one time. I worked on that setup for half a day trying to figure that one out.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 54841
I would check the pattern the way it's setup prior to pulling it out so you know where it's been running.

I pulled a set of gears of of an AMC to replace the carrier with a Detroit. It was my third experience setting up gears. Previously I had setup the diffs in my Toyota. Which were pretty easy. I never checked the pattern with the stock carrier, slapped in the Detroit and then spent about 6hrs three nights in a row never getting a perfect pattern. I figured I was just a numskull so I took it to a local differential shop. The went over it and tried a few different setups and told me that the way I brought it in was the best pattern they could come up with as well. Only charged me 1hr shop fee which was very generous.

The said that that's the case many times with used gears especially if they were not setup perfect to begin with.

This was my experience hope it helps!
whiteman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in