Fj80 or Jeep Cherokee - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
I'm a Toyota dork, but if I wanted a trail only rig it would be a Cherokee all day. Parts are cheap and in some cases whole xjs are even cheaper than some parts LOL!! You destroy the body, just swap the axles onto a new carcass.

I don't get the 80hype, the rear axle is nice that's about it.
The difference between the fj80 and xj is that the fj80 you can do a minimal amount of lift and 35s, then proceed to best the shit out of it for years to come.

The xj will need at minimum a rear axle swap, most likely a front axle swap or polish the turd 30, slip yoke eliminator, and body reinforcement. Then you still have a pos Chrysler built rig.

The 4.0/aw4 is good shit though.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 297130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I guess they have Jeep fags down under too. Their reality is even farther from the truth though.
Last I checked; I'm the only one in the village
Unroadworthy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 04:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
The difference between the fj80 and xj is that the fj80 you can do a minimal amount of lift and 35s, then proceed to best the shit out of it for years to come.

The xj will need at minimum a rear axle swap, most likely a front axle swap or polish the turd 30, slip yoke eliminator, and body reinforcement. Then you still have a pos Chrysler built rig.

No SYE needed, that's only for the SWB Jeep's.

The difference between an xj and an fj80 is you can find an xj for $500 all day long, swap some d44s under it and you have a fun trail rig for 75% less than just the ARB front bumper, roof rack and snorkle required to wheel an 80. plus an xj is waaaaay smaller than that bloated mess of a land cruiser. I wheel with a couple guys that have 80s and I just don't get it. Like I said I'm a Toyota dork for sure and I will take an xj over one. I'm also assuming op is looking for something that gets trailered to the trail and home, smash the windows out on a tree and not give a fuck type trail rig right?
Old 05-03-2018, 05:22 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:

Can a stock geared 80 even turn 35s? #5.294life

80's are heavy, bloated turds. XJs are lighter, less bloated turds.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:12 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 71584
Yes. It appears the “It’s a jeep thing you wouldn’t understand” culture works globally.

I don’t understand.
Gwagensteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #32 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 89362
I find it interesting that the rest of the world in war torn countries rely on land cruisers to transport people to and through the fight and do all the work when it comes to cleanup in the aftermath. You don't see many cherocars or any other jeep products driving around with either guns mounted in them or nice people with blue helmets riding in them. I would attribute that to the fact that they are not as reliable when it comes to needing something to work when your life is at stake.
too tall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by too tall View Post
I find it interesting that the rest of the world in war torn countries rely on land cruisers to transport people to and through the fight and do all the work when it comes to cleanup in the aftermath. You don't see many cherocars or any other jeep products driving around with either guns mounted in them or nice people with blue helmets riding in them. I would attribute that to the fact that they are not as reliable when it comes to needing something to work when your life is at stake.
That's what all the Toyoturds say .
Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
No SYE needed, that's only for the SWB Jeep's.

The difference between an xj and an fj80 is you can find an xj for $500 all day long, swap some d44s under it and you have a fun trail rig for 75% less than just the ARB front bumper, roof rack and snorkle required to wheel an 80. plus an xj is waaaaay smaller than that bloated mess of a land cruiser. I wheel with a couple guys that have 80s and I just don't get it. Like I said I'm a Toyota dork for sure and I will take an xj over one. I'm also assuming op is looking for something that gets trailered to the trail and home, smash the windows out on a tree and not give a fuck type trail rig right?
Personally, I wouldn't want to really wheel with a slip yoke tcase.

Well for one, he already has an FJ80. Otherwise, I agree, if you want something to smash, then get a Cherokee or really just go straight for the V8 ZJ, mine was a blast.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 05-03-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 89362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
That's what all the Toyoturds say .
Does that mean it is not the truth or you just don't want to believe the truth.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by too tall View Post
Does that mean it is not the truth or you just don't want to believe the truth.
I don't even understand it. What does that have to do with a wheeling rig in the United States?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
you have a fun trail rig for 75% less than just the ARB front bumper, roof rack and snorkle required to wheel an 80.
Wait so you have been to Australia? I saw more than a few soccer mom Hyundai SUV's with a diesel and no lie....a snorkel....looked like a minivan....with a snorkel! With the 2" max lifts down under they straight up love their big bolt on accessories! Think less -ish because no big gay wagon wheels and 35 series tires and more mid-90s here.

Last edited by Rock Ape; 05-03-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Rock Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #38 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't want to really wheel with a slip yoke tcase.

Well for one, he already has an xj. Otherwise, I agree, if you want something to smash, then get a Cherokee or really just go straight for the V8 ZJ, mine was a blast.
Do you even read bro? He has a Land Cruiser not an XJ

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #39 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Ahhhhhhh

Well I say smash up the cruiser then to piss off evreyone on IH8MUD.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
Wait so you have been to Australia? I saw more than a few soccer mom Hyundai SUV's with a diesel and no lie....a snorkel....looked like a minivan....with a snorkel! With the 2" max lifts down under they straight up love their big bolt on accessories! Think less -ish because no big gay wagon wheels and 35 series tires and more mid-90s here.
Max lift? Thats a law down there?
Old 05-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Yes, for street driven vehicles. I think it’s 2” over all so 1” suspension lift + 1” larger tire diameter is the legal limit. Oh and guns are also harder to own legally than drugs.

You can apply to have your modified vehicle be engineered for $$$ to meet the queens approval.

I have friends that wheel and live in Australia. If any of that is exaggerated, please correct me.
Rubirunner85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Yep...Hell they don't even have full size trucks! The ones they do cost $150k+ because they have to be converted to RHD!

It was cool to visit but their vehicle restrictions are flat ass retarded!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
I swear I typed FJ, wtf
Old 05-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #44 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 89362
Quote:
I don't even understand it. What does that have to do with a wheeling rig in the United States?
Just making a point about the reputation around the globe for their reliability of one of the vehicles he was asking opinions about. You immediately started giving advice about how to upgrade the inferior or problematic parts the other one came with from the factory with that he was talking about. Feel free to keep giving bad advice or troll around and bash toyota guys preemptively for pointing out the facts or trying to help the OP make the decision that would be best for him in the long run. Maybe I'm wrong? but I'd take a cruiser with 500,000 on it before I'd drive a new 4whl drive made at the K-car plant.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:07 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 50704
Personally I would put the money into the FJ80 and drive it for another 10 years. My truck is at similar point and I have to make a similar choice. My options are rebuild engine, transmission, axles, brakes and repair some issues in the interior and drive it another 10 years. Buy something else and customize it to do what I know my truck can already do or buy something new. I factored cost, how long would it last, resell and my desire to drive something different after 10 years. I decided to fix everything at the end of it, it was actually the lowest cost option for me, I knew what the vehicle needed and I knew it was capable. When I looked at customizing something else, I realized not only the cost of making it capable but also I needed to factor how reliable it would be and also the unknown issues it could have that would need fixing. Buying something new wasn't an option, the cost of a new vehicle is at least 3 to 4 times what I will end up putting in my truck and that doesn't include things like new tires, rims etc to make the new vehicle more capable.

To boil it down lowest cost option was to keep my truck and fix it. However if I wanted to just drive something different i would have bought used and customized or in your case buy the XJ.
Rusty Scoutii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 145904
Its not what you buy, its what you build.
winter4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #47 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
The fact that you have to ask this question means you're not on an XJ or ZJ budget. Therefore you should buy the FJ80. The last thing we need is people with more money than brains (anyone who's willing to pay what it costs to buy a Toyota truck or SUV is in that category) jacking up the prices of XJs and ZJs.
arse_sidewards is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in