Building a custom headache rack. Need advice! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2018, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 849290
Building a custom headache rack. Need advice!

I'll be building a custom headache rack for my 16' SCREW, need some input from the hive mind.

The rack will be made of 2" square tube (.125 thickness). It will be sprayed with Line-X when I drop the truck off to get the bed and running boards sprayed.

It will be a functional rack as I need the ability to haul lengths of wood/metal/ladders/etc.... With my last truck, I found that I really needed some bed lighting for work. I will be adding some LED flood lights to the top two inner corners and running a switch from inside the cab. I'm looking really hard at using a pair of RIGID flood "pods" over getting some of the cheaper 30-40$ LED lights on amazon.

1. Is it worth the trouble to hide the wiring inside the rack? I'm thinking not, as I will need to deal with figuring out waterproof openings for the wires to enter/exit through and replacing lights will be much harder. I was thinking of just welding small loops on the backside and using zip ties to route the wiring on the back face of the rack. I'll be using shielded 16/2 cables so it will look pretty nice anyway. Opinions?

2. I'll be designing around the need to keep my 3rd brake light exposed. I don't see any reason to add in any extra brake/turn/backup lights on the rack, if they are not needed?

3. Is there anything that you wish you had fabricated onto your headache rack that you don't have now? Looking to 'future-proof' as much as I can.

Thanks for any input!
1967marti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2018, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 140878
Sound like you need a ladder rack more than a headache rack.
TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 208624
Just something neat that I've been seeing lately around TX/OK; some place is making headache rack/bed rail combos with mini hammer unions at the front and back corners with a removable back ladder rack bridge that can be stored on the front unions when not hauling ladders or pipe joints or tools or whatever. Food for thought.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 849290
I will probably be making matching rear 'hoop' for hauling really long items. I'm not sure if I would need some connecting bars to attach the front 'hoop' to the rear for strength?
Old 09-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 849290
Here's what I got so far...

The bar across the top got a little ark in it from grinding off some old welds. I got a bunch of 2x2 tube delivered, so I'll probably chop it off and weld on a nice straight piece.

I'm using some Rigid brand pod lights for the two corners, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to run the cables. I'd hate to chop the nice plugs off just to hide the wire runs. And what about making the holes the wires pass through watertight?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
How did this last so long? Where the mods are? Frank got a flat on the ole wheel chair? Can't make it to site?
NOODLES is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176

Somehow I missed it.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 09-17-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 152683
See that truck in front of yours? Copy that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Mrmikeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 849290
The service truck in front of mine has a fabricated bed box for hauling parts. The rack on top is just two mini headache racks bolted to the roof of the bed box. It won't hold anything heavier than the aluminum ladders on there now.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 849290
I'm in the last stages and about to send it off for some linex. Trying to find a good way to seal the hole where the wires enter the tubing. I ordered up some metal cable glands. Was wondering if there was anything else on the market?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in