F-O-A Coilovers. Experience? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 728961
F-O-A Coilovers. Experience?

So I'm planning on ordering a pair of 12" travel coilovers for my cummins project truck. Anyone have any experience with them? The truck isn't going to be seeing any high speed off road racing or anything, more like expedition/overlanding type of stuff.
texastruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Expect to rebuild and reseal them even if new. They have a history of poor build quality and poor customer service.

Search gen 4x4, there are tons of threads.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ck-update.html

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ew-anyone.html

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 53528
im surprised they are still in business, after my experience with them i wouldnt buy anything they sell
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18614
I'd rather buy a used set of any other shocks and rebuild them. Just to many issues, doing a quick search just in general will get you a good idea. They aren't too much cheaper than others TBH, reach out to some vendors. I bought my Radflo's from Dave's off-road supply valved to my specs.

Last edited by 94toytruck; 02-16-2019 at 08:02 PM.
94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
They suck.

I ordered a set of their 2.0 14" travel coil over shocks. They were leaking out of the box and were not valved as I ordered. During the pre-use rebuild, I found a bunch of metal shavings and crap in the oil from the manufacturing process. When I took them on the first trip they started leaking past the IFP. Called and was told I would have to order a rebuild kit. Did that, then noticed the inside of the reservoirs were scoured from the manufacturing process and there was no way a O-ring would survive more than a short time. I called and this time I got a set of reservoirs sent to me free of charge. I rebuilt them again. By this time I was done so I sold them on CL for $180.

Bought a set of Radflo's which were at my door in less than ten days, with custom valving and charged with nitrogen. I bolted them on and haven't had any issues since.

You get what you pay for.

Edit: Dave's Off-Road Supply has the best customer service, and will match any price out there.

Last edited by BDK; 02-16-2019 at 07:45 PM.
BDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18614
I think I had my custom valved Radflos in 2 weeks from when I ordered. My air bumps were less than a week though.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94toytruck View Post
I think I had my custom valved Radflos in 2 weeks from when I ordered. My air bumps were less than a week though.
Fox are on the shelf at Accutune.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
I got Radflo's because I like smaller companies and Fox was 10 weeks out for custom valve orders.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Fox are on the shelf at Accutune.
Indeed but I got a better price and supported a local business with awesome customer service buying through Dave. 2 weeks waiting for a project that's been in the works for a year isn't bad considering I'm on the east coast.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Fucked
On
Arrival

Everyone I know that has bought FOAs has swapped them out for a better brand after too many leaks.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
Davesoffroadsupply and Radflo: I have been using Dave for everything off-road since I found him on Pirate. He has the best customer service and can get nearly everything you need for the same or better price than somewhere else. He is just an all around good guy with great business ethics. Every problem I have had he has taken care or saw to it it was taken care by his vendors, all of which were not his fault. Everyone I know who asks me where to get off-road stuff gets referred to Dave.

Radflo is a great company. After I ordered the shocks through Dave, I realized I would have to disassemble new shocks to install the triple rate springs I use. I called Radflo and the owner's wife answers the phone. She gets the owner on the phone, who puts me on a brief hold, then says my shocks are next in line to be built. If I want, he can set aside my shocks until I send him my triple rate springs and follower. He will have them installed during the build process. I sent them via flat rate and still got my shocks within 10 days of ordering them through Dave. I had a few questions, and when I called I was sent to the dude who builds the shocks, remembered mine, and quickly and helpfully answered all my questions. I love the way the shocks seem to figure out what terrain I am driving on and adjust, especially on the highway. I get some body roll for the first few miles, then it goes away.

When I called FOA, it depended upon who answered the phone but most were trying to end the calls as quickly as possible. It seemed like the new guys had to answer the phone. This was about 5 years ago so I don't have any current information as to customer service.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDK View Post
Davesoffroadsupply and Radflo: I have been using Dave for everything off-road since I found him on Pirate. He has the best customer service and can get nearly everything you need for the same or better price than somewhere else. He is just an all around good guy with great business ethics. Every problem I have had he has taken care or saw to it it was taken care by his vendors, all of which were not his fault. Everyone I know who asks me where to get off-road stuff gets referred to Dave.
x2 ive had the exact same experience spending thousands with dave havent bought anything lately but next time i do it will be through dave

oh yea fuck FOA
Old 02-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 728961
Well alright then, you guys convinced me. Crossing FOA off my list. Gonna look into Dave and RadFlo's
texastruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 864462
I had considered getting some FOA's for a hot minute, because the price was right, but you get what you pay for in this world. I did a lot more reading and research and it sounded like it was pretty much guaranteed that you would need to rebuild them before use. People report bad/leaky seals, I've seen where the oil is drained and there is junk in the factory oil, and the finish is prone to rusting. I live in the PNW, so it's wet here a lot, and I didn't want new coilovers sitting rusted under my rig. I had narrowed it down to Fox and Radflo after more research, and was leaning heavily toward Radflo, but ultimately went with ORIs due to packaging and tuning for what I use my rig for. If you still want coilovers, look at Radflo and Fox more. If you aren't 100% sold on coilovers, look at ORI, too. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
im surprised they are still in business, after my experience with them i wouldnt buy anything they sell
Leak on Arrival
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Leak on Arrival
i actually had the total opposite problem, the seals in the bump stops were so tight that once the axle compressed the bump stop the shaft wouldnt come back out, even charged with 200psi

waited almost a year on new seals that never came, ended up getting a refund thankfully
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
W6FTW

Member # 133266
Junk junk junk.

Mine leaked in the resis at the ifp. Got new resis. Took them apart and found a ton of metal shavings. The bleed holes were done so horribly, half the hole was punched thru at tye wear band. The piston wasnt flat so the shims wouldnt even sit flat. Put them together and they leaked again. Rebuilt it, and sold them.

I thought they were good for shims since the trunnion is the same as kings. They couldnt even ship out the right size, 3 times! Wayne (zukizzy) had the shims i needed, and sent them out to me.

Wayne has also stated on here if he works on them, he charges extra because the machining is so horrible

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NorCalPR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 858222
I bought an XJ based crawler for parts that had a set of 14" FOA's. Sold everything I didn't need, kept them purely for mock up. Not aescetically pleasing, look and feel cheap, was told they were run twice. Leak like a MF.
Dana 60F/70R 4:10
92Flareside150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in