How much triangulation needed on lowers? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 91857
Send a message via AIM to yozsi
How much triangulation needed on lowers?

It's time to fix my rear 4 link with panhard. Currently it's running parallel lowers and slightly triangulated uppers with a panhard. Plan is to fully triangulate the uppers and get rid of the panhard. I won't be able to get much angle on the lowers though. Maybe 10 degrees on each. I'll inboard the brackets on the frame on some outriggers but won't be able to do a full crossmember. Is 10 degrees on each lower with good angle on the uppers still going to give me a ton of rear steer? Lowers are around 44" iirc and uppers will be around 30"

Here's a super old pic showing how bad the rear steer is with the current setup

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Because you are triangulating the uppers, technically you can run parallel lowers. It will rear steer though. Put what you can in the lowers and run it. Anything is better than nothing.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 03-23-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 91857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Because you are triangulating the uppers, technically you can run parallel lowers. It will rear steer though. Put what you can in the lowers and run it. Anything is better than nothing.
Yea. I know that much. Don't know how much angle it takes on the lowers to really get the rear steer under control.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA

Old 03-24-2019, 03:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 700266
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozsi View Post
Yea. I know that much. Don't know how much angle it takes on the lowers to really get the rear steer under control.
Few ways. Widen the arc that the rear wheels have to follow through there droop with longer control arms.
Or, the closer you can get the lower arms together on the frame end, the better.
Then you can do a triangulated (A frame) radias arm setup with panhard bar. Flatter or less angle from frame to axle, the less your steer
Like this.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 91857
If I were to do that or bring the lowers in, I would have to make the lowers like 60" long so the crossmember will clear the driveshaft under droop.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
Old 04-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 866988
Just a suggestion but the TRIAGED 4-link calculator does have link tension and compression values based on a variable loading condition that can be set via the "Acceleration" value from the 'materials" tab (Cell C2).
MAKman989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in