Frame patching - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Frame patching

Not sure if this is newb tech or more GCC tech worthy.

Getting ready to patch the frame on the wheeling rig Ranger, it sees a decent amount of road time so I'm trying to do my best and looking for criticism. Plan is to trim out the bad, and weld 1/4" plate patches over the outside.

The spot around the leaf spring hanger is getting a 30" long patch to help spread out the load. Both sides already have patches on the inside of the rail from several years ago. Driver side got the old metal cut out when it was patched, passenger side wasn't. So it will be double layered, in and out.

The plan where I need a little direction is where the original shock mounts were. The frame bulges around the rivet holes. On the driver side there's a lot of meat around them to cut them out and use a large patch around the hole. The passenger doesn't have as much room around the bulges. I'm thinking grind the bulges flush with the rest of the frame and plate over it. Thoughts?

1st pic is the passenger leaf spring hanger, 2nd is the passenger shock mount holes, if you look at the lower left, you can see where the frame bumps in over the axle, that's the clearance that I'm concerned with. 3rd is of the driver side shock mounts.

Last edited by posford; 03-30-2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Huge pics
posford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Id plate over and where the rivets are Id hole saw holes and plug weld the bump out to the new plate. Id also fish mouth the plates.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Id plate over and where the rivets are Id hole saw holes and plug weld the bump out to the new plate. Id also fish mouth the plates.
All of this. I always add a few holes and plug weld anyway when playing a frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
All of this. I always add a few holes and plug weld anyway when playing a frame.
Ok that's pretty much where I was at. Thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 04:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
If you need some perfectly pitted metal so you can say "well clearly it's been passing inspection for many years with that patch there" I have some F250 frame that I've been saving specifically for this kind of thing.

Also, my Ranger has the same holes just below the shock mounts. There's no good reason for that to rust out since nothing collects there. I suspect that it's a weak point that just shows up after 10yr of pounding from the shock so you should probably consider making your patch have a footprint that goes further to that side than just the bare minimum to cover the hole.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 04-02-2019 at 04:11 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 170770
plate it and speed holes for more weld surface. if you do inside and out side make them different lengths so it spreads the strength out.
Name:  image_zps1lv2geua.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  62.9 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JDWeeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
If you need some perfectly pitted metal so you can say "well clearly it's been passing inspection for many years with that patch there" I have some F250 frame that I've been saving specifically for this kind of thing.

Also, my Ranger has the same holes just below the shock mounts. There's no good reason for that to rust out since nothing collects there. I suspect that it's a weak point that just shows up after 10yr of pounding from the shock so you should probably consider making your patch have a footprint that goes further to that side than just the bare minimum to cover the hole.
Thanks but I'll pass, got a half sheet of 1/4" plate, not worried about the sticker, that's the easy part

Looks like the shock mount collects mud and shit? At least they did. They're cut off now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWeeler View Post
plate it and speed holes for more weld surface. if you do inside and out side make them different lengths so it spreads the strength out.
Attachment 2925498
Hard to have weld surface when there's no metal underneath I'm trying to hide the junk frame while strengthening it
Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post
Thanks but I'll pass, got a half sheet of 1/4" plate, not worried about the sticker, that's the easy part

Looks like the shock mount collects mud and shit? At least they did. They're cut off now.
I'm talking about the hole outside the perimeter of the mounts. Mine has literally the same hole. No good reason for it to be there unless the mount is making the frame web flex.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
I'm talking about the hole outside the perimeter of the mounts. Mine has literally the same hole. No good reason for it to be there unless the mount is making the frame web flex.
Yeah true, went back and looked That is pretty fucked up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in