HP44 Axle Tube Length? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 680402
HP44 Axle Tube Length?

Hoping someone on here might have a 1/2 ton Ford Dana 44 laying around that can help me with getting a measurement for the driver's side tube length (diff housing to inside edge of the C) and maybe a measurement from ball joint to ball joint? I've been searching online for a couple days now but can only find info on the WMS, retubing, or how much needs to be cut to work with a Jeep and other smaller vehicles...

Reason I ask is I found one out of a 70's F-150 with the welded on c-wedges pretty cheap because it has the drum brakes that nobody wants. I'm thinking about picking it up, grinding off the wedges and welding on some perches and then swapping everything from the knuckles out of a spare 10 bolt I have laying around to make a cheap hybrid HP44 to SAS a GMT400 truck down the road. Just trying to figure out if it's even possible before wasting a good chunk of my day off to go see/measure it in person. Thanks.

ps Yes I know there are other easier options out there (78-79 F-250 or 77-79 F-150 super cab axles) but they're hard to find and pricey when you do plus I already have a drilled and talked knuckle for crossover and everything to rebuild the Chevy outers so this would be a cheapish just for fun project.
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2019, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 787073
hey man mine measured 53" upper balljoint to upper balljoint before narrowing and knowing how much was removed i just grabbed current measurements and added what was removed to get 24.5" from casting to C on the long side and 6.7" on the short side. I got lucky and scored a supercab axle for pretty cheap. Sounds like a solid plan as the outers should be a straight swap between 10 bolt and 44
4speedhandler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2019, 07:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 680402
Thanks man appreciate it. Not sure that helps since it's a leaf spring axle with the perch taking away tube length though. Looks like it should be a lot more than 6.7" inches on the radius arm axles from the pictures online?
Attached Images

NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 787073
sorry i couldnt be more help. hope the balljoint measurement helped though
4speedhandler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in