Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   Newbie General 4x4 Discussion (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/43-newbie-general-4x4-discussion/)
-   -   Rust problems needing ideas. (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/newbie-general-4x4-discussion/2694790-rust-problems-needing-ideas.html)

Kcook 01-13-2020 12:52 PM

Rust problems needing ideas.

Hey, I have an 04 Avalanche that I am fixing up. I started to wire wheel off the rust and found out that someone spray foamed behind the rust and bondoed over top in a lot of spots... It is a nightmare.

I was just going to bend up some metal and weld it in, but it is beyond that point.
I'm looking for some ideas.

I'm thinking 2x8 on the rockers and just a flat sheet of steel from good body metal to the rocker 2x8.

Kcook 01-13-2020 12:57 PM

The biggest area is behind the doors about 12 inches up from the rockers. No pinch weld left, and basically no cab corner and rocker.

TrikeKid 01-14-2020 12:15 AM

Most of the common patches for those trucks are readily available aftermarket, there's not much need to go reinventing the wheel here, a new rocker will at least give you something to build up to.

https://raybuck.com/panels/chevrolet...evy-avalanche/

Technohead 01-14-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kcook (Post 44767138)
. . . spray foamed behind the rust and bondoed over top in a lot of spots...

^ This

Kcook 01-22-2020 04:27 PM

The majority of the rocker is ok. It's just the rear of it. The big problem is the rust spread upwards a ton. I think I will end up just making a sheet metal patch on my own down the road. Hopefully I don't get pulled over until then.

Kcook 01-22-2020 04:29 PM

Technohead, are you saying I should spray foam and bondo? Lol. It's way past that point. I would never spray foam/bondo. I would rather fibreglass it if it was anywhere close to being able to be repaired like that.

carbonprint 02-02-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kcook (Post 44781266)
Technohead, are you saying I should spray foam and bondo? Lol. It's way past that point. I would never spray foam/bondo. I would rather fibreglass it if it was anywhere close to being able to be repaired like that.

How's your project now? We're looking at a 2000 Ram diesel as next project. The truck has been sitting for a couple of years and the owner mentioned about the spray foam done on the truck. We'll take a look at it right after we finished installing the brake kit and 28 inch dub baller on the current truck project. Better if you can share photos of the rusted part of the Avalanche.