|08-21-2019 06:59 AM|
|Cool Hand Luke|
|08-17-2019 12:30 PM|
|08-08-2019 02:33 PM|
|Cool Hand Luke|
|04-24-2019 10:54 AM|
|02-10-2019 08:29 PM|
|Mikes9659||I like this, keep the pics coming please!|
|02-07-2019 04:18 PM|
|02-07-2019 01:17 PM|
|Elwenil||It's a standard Dodge 4WD transmission mount used on W series trucks. Engine doesn't matter, they all use the same ones.|
|02-07-2019 12:22 PM|
Those bushings are what was used in 89-93 Dodge diesels, at least in the 4x4s.
|02-07-2019 11:10 AM|
Your transmission mount gave me some ideas. I have been thinking of redoing mine for my 700R4/NP231 adaptor. It uses a universal transmission mount and I think it allows too much movement at that mount, versus the engine mounts. Your mount is much simpler than what I was thinking, and would allow me to mount my skid plates directly to the bottom of it. Bolting to the side of the frame instead of the bottom would help with frame twist, and get the bolt heads off the bottom of the frame. I have Duff radius arms that are mounted behind the trans mount. I have had to limit the compression slightly to keep the arms from contacting the bolt heads.
Where did you source those transmission mount bushings?
|02-07-2019 10:41 AM|
|11-05-2018 04:18 AM|
Thanks for the kind words. It’s motivating to know that this build may help drive someone else's build - that's really cool. Over the weekend, Carl and Brandon knocked out the super beefy trans cross member and we got started installing the in frame shackle tubes for the front springs. For the trans cross member the guys re-used part of the mounting plates from the 518 which fit the NV4500 great. The cross member needed a little more work to give the front drive shaft some breathing room which they knocked out pretty quickly. From there, we slung it place, drilled the frame, threw in a couple bolts and it didn’t budge once we let down the floor jack.
For the in frame shackles, we measured out shackle tube location then popped a 2” holes in either side of the frame. From there, I ground the heads off the rivets holding in the old shackle bushing assemblies, knocked them out of the frame, cleaned the inside of the frame rails, and burned in the reinforcement plates I torched out a few days ago. We’ll install the 2” x 0.25” DOM shackle tubes once we have a better idea of exactly how long they need to be.
|11-03-2018 07:58 PM|
|BIGTRUCKNUT||I'm digging the build and you are giving me inspiration to get my own truck transformation project going...RC to regular cab with a short offroad bed. Keep it up!|
|11-02-2018 03:00 PM|
|LowDown||Thanks man. Brandon worked on the trans cross memeber last night, getting it looking pretty good.|
|11-01-2018 02:15 PM|
|11-01-2018 09:00 AM|
|LowDown||This truck was originally a W150 with a 318. Around '04, Carl, his brother, and Dad swapped in the steering column, dash, 6BT, A518, and 205 out of a '92 donor truck. A year or two later, they freshened up and swapped in the 60 & 70 out of the donor too. This truck served as the family's work horse until a couple years ago when the torque convertor went out (for the second time). About a year ago, Brandon and I convinced Carl to give her another life as a trail truck. Carl came up with the concept of the rescue truck and started collecting parts like the NV4500, engine plate, bell housing, clutch, bed, MTRs, and beadlocks. Carl decided to go less street and more trail hence pushing the front axle way forward of stock & full hydro. I think that pretty much catches us up, right?|
|10-31-2018 09:51 PM|
|10-31-2018 09:25 PM|
|Elwenil||"CCLB" Club Cab Long Bed.|
|10-31-2018 06:32 PM|
|10-31-2018 02:58 PM|
|crawlingmoab||so whats the plans for the bed??|
|10-31-2018 12:11 AM|
|LowDown||After some brain storming, we got started on the shackle mounts for the front springs and transmission mount. Brandon and Carl came up with the brilliant idea of reusing the trans mount for the 518 which looks like it’ll work great with the NV4500. We also made some progress on the shackle mounts for the front springs including location and plates to start boxing the frame around the new shackle mounts.|
|10-31-2018 12:05 AM|
|LowDown||Thank you! We’re going full hydro so the steering box was moved to the “to be sold” pile of parts.|
|10-29-2018 10:58 PM|
|vwmopar||Nice build. Moving the front axle forward did you move the steering box too?|
|10-28-2018 06:17 PM|
|LowDown||A few more|
|10-28-2018 06:16 PM|
|LowDown||After some quality time card board templating, torching, grinding and welding, we tied the new & old frame rails together, burned in the rear spring shackle hangers, hung the leafs and mocked up the smoothed bottom 14 bolt.|
|10-24-2018 01:30 PM|
Stacking the new over the old was mainly for simplicity and does a few things:
-Prevented us from having to fabricate the frame rails with steps in them over the axle which which saved time, material, and labor, and decreased our chances for error during the fabrication process.
-Raised the position of the rear bumper, rear recovery points, and shackles so hopefully they won't get knocked around as much as if they were mounted lower
-Provided more room for uptravel and/or lowering the truck's COG.
|This thread has more than 25 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|