Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - Reply to Topic
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat > phones vs driving
Notices

Thread: phones vs driving Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
07-02-2018 07:32 PM
dethmachinefab I got hit about a year ago while i was doing some work down in florida. Customer was driving and i in the passenger seat on our way to get some hydraulic fittings. 2 lane each direction major road and some old shitbox car makes a left turn from the right shoulder right into us. She was on the phone during and after the wreck. She was a tweaker or burnt pill head i believe as well. Customers wife pulls up and this lady gets into customers wifes car, and goes oh i thought this was my husbands car. At this point i realize this girl is batshit. So we are out on the sidewalk waiting for cops to do their bs. I look back twards the our open car door and peek in and say "Where is the snake? Don't tell me the snake got out holy fuck" I pretend to look for it and have the crazy girl freaking out thinking its gotten in her car. Cops not as amused.

For some reason its much easier for me to text while riding a motorcycle than anything else. I agree alot of new cars are disconected from the driving experience. Loud, gear shifting, and dodging giant potholes makes it hard to use a phone in my flatbed.
07-02-2018 06:28 PM
muadib There's a fairly simple solution for all this.
I've proposed it to legislators but because i'm not a big donor, they have no reason to listen.

Right now, if you hit someone from behind, it's your fault. This is 50-state consistent. They stop hard and you hit them? The law says you were following too close. No debate. No discussion. Your fault. Everyone knows it.

We record to the 1/100th of a second just when and how long a person is on the phone, when they text, etc. Easy. If your phone is being used when you get in a wreck, it's your fault. No exceptions.

Used by a passenger you say? Tough. You as the driver should put it away.
Used for something "important" you say? Tough. Shoulda pulled over... or have your passenger make the call.
Could be abused, you say? Yes it could. But so can running into someone from behind.

Anyway, if it matters, it could be stopped. Just right now, it doesn't much seem to matter except in otherwise Communist states that don't allow anything, anyway.

muadib
07-02-2018 02:47 PM
east_beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
but it's perfectly fine for the police to text/call/use a fucking computer while cruising down the road at 20 mph over the speed limit.....

because they have training.
Hardly a day goes by that I don't see it. Hell, it's hard to spot a cop on the road who isn't pecking away on his little console mounted laptop.
07-02-2018 01:52 PM
Dr.Danger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
Besides, my 6spd manual sports car I drive everyday is more fun on crooked 2 lane highway than fucking facebook and instagram. Must suck for all these losers that drive boring cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
I even enjoy driving my f250 with a 6 speed.

I guess we've made cars to boring for most folks with the automatic transmissions and automatic everything else.
People who drive manuals are better drivers. Or some study someone did said as much. They attributed it to being more involved in the driving process. People do get pretty fucking lazy when everything is automated and they only have to use one hand and one foot to do it.

I personally love driving my old 4 speed truck except for that fucked up 4th gear synchro. Been floating that shift for some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
...
07-02-2018 01:48 PM
CJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
Is this looking through the spaghetti sauce jar and shooting your rifle?
07-02-2018 01:46 PM
45acp ...
07-02-2018 01:35 PM
danielbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
Txting and driving isn't *that* hard... but I set my phone to automatically go in do not disturb mode when driving. Besides, my 6spd manual sports car I drive everyday is more fun on crooked 2 lane highway than fucking facebook and instagram. Must suck for all these losers that drive boring cars
I even enjoy driving my f250 with a 6 speed.

I guess we've made cars to boring for most folks with the automatic transmissions and automatic everything else.
07-02-2018 01:35 PM
Danger Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
proriffirole vision
Is this looking through the spaghetti sauce jar and shooting your rifle? What the fuck does this have to do with phones and driving?
07-02-2018 01:32 PM
Danger Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCzuk View Post
See it all the time here too. I donít get why car manufacturers these days will have the dash lights on and not just have automatic head and tail lights.
I hear ya... I can't believe DRL's aren't standard on everything, not like it's expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
Meh, pull over and use the phone to call 911 about a crazy drunk driver thats driving w/o their lights on. They might not be drunk but thats for the LEOs to determine.
My hope here is two idiots, each with their lights off hit each other... because... they couldn't see each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post


Negatory ghostrider. I don't text often and when I do you'll never be able to tell. I drive on 2 lane roads mostly and when at traffic lights I'm sitting there ready to go yelling GREEN MEANS GO when dumbasses Cant look up. If someone texts me twice in a row I call or tell them to call.
I don't GAF if you believe me or not because were all full of shit motherfuckers occasionally.
Ive been driving over mountain passes drinking coffee and shaving with my cordless razor on summer mornings for years, that and talking on the phone are not that hard. I put my phone on speakerphone most of the time anyway. I used to be a Baker and I could carry on a conversation while rolling out dough and making breads and cakes . I don't chew gum though because it annoys me.
Txting and driving isn't *that* hard... but I set my phone to automatically go in do not disturb mode when driving. Besides, my 6spd manual sports car I drive everyday is more fun on crooked 2 lane highway than fucking facebook and instagram. Must suck for all these losers that drive boring cars
07-02-2018 01:25 PM
waterhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
Oof, that one was rough even by your usual standards
Good thing you weren't driving when you read it.
07-02-2018 01:23 PM
Dr.Danger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
We brought in on them. Could have spent money in fucking education...

People driving at night, without lights on?

USA: 1 every other mile (bay area, 101 or 280) nobody gaf
Germany: crazy honking, waving, slowing down and gesturing from everyone on the road until that 1 per month idiot I see turns on his lights.

USA license: 12 (+drivers ed, depending on age) USD
German license: 1200 - 2000 USD (always)
Oh look.... the socialist German is here telling Americans how to run our own shit again and how great they have it. It's no surprise that your solution is basically more taxes and government mandated bullshit.

And seriously, education is your reasoning for why people text and drive?

Your country has a huge issue with morons glued to their phones just like everywhere else. It doesn't matter if they are professors, kids, or construction workers. People of all ages and levels of education are hopelessly addicted to screens.

You can stop using your limited experiences in the US to paint a picture of the rest of it any time. Bay area hardly represents it all. You get flashed and honked at for driving with no lights here too.
07-02-2018 01:21 PM
vetteboy79
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Because the phone is down, you don't have proriffirole vision.
Oof, that one was rough even by your usual standards
07-02-2018 01:05 PM
waterhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Ive been driving over mountain passes drinking coffee and shaving with my cordless razor on summer mornings for years, that and talking on the phone are not that hard. I put my phone on speakerphone most of the time anyway.
Drinking coffee and shaving do not require your eyes.I don't have a problem with someone talking on a phone. I would say that's about the same as talking to someone in your car. It's the scrolling down the list of contacts or dialing that takes your attention. Because the phone is down, you don't have proriffirole vision. Even checking caller ID is a distraction. Of course texting is diverting your attention big time. Speakerphone is alright as long as you arnt fumbling around trying to find the switch to turn it on.
07-02-2018 11:19 AM
Filthy McChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy30 View Post
Yep,someone commented earlier about "they drive slower and more carefully when they are texting". Yeah,we know because we F'ing sit behind you and watch you swerve back and forth.

Somehow the left lane has become the texting lane instead of the passing lane.
Negatory ghostrider. I don't text often and when I do you'll never be able to tell. I drive on 2 lane roads mostly and when at traffic lights I'm sitting there ready to go yelling GREEN MEANS GO when dumbasses Cant look up. If someone texts me twice in a row I call or tell them to call.
I don't GAF if you believe me or not because were all full of shit motherfuckers occasionally.
Ive been driving over mountain passes drinking coffee and shaving with my cordless razor on summer mornings for years, that and talking on the phone are not that hard. I put my phone on speakerphone most of the time anyway. I used to be a Baker and I could carry on a conversation while rolling out dough and making breads and cakes . I don't chew gum though because it annoys me.
07-02-2018 10:58 AM
DavidVanVorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
I gave up on that shit... usually those fucks without their lights on would just high beam me back... and continue down the road with their lights OFF
Meh, pull over and use the phone to call 911 about a crazy drunk driver thats driving w/o their lights on. They might not be drunk but thats for the LEOs to determine.
07-02-2018 10:08 AM
BCzuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
I gave up on that shit... usually those fucks without their lights on would just high beam me back... and continue down the road with their lights OFF
See it all the time here too. I donít get why car manufacturers these days will have the dash lights on and not just have automatic head and tail lights.
07-02-2018 09:46 AM
Danger Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
USA: 1 every other mile (bay area, 101 or 280) nobody gaf
Germany: crazy honking, waving, slowing down and gesturing from everyone on the road until that 1 per month idiot I see turns on his lights.
I gave up on that shit... usually those fucks without their lights on would just high beam me back... and continue down the road with their lights OFF
07-02-2018 09:42 AM
87manche
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
Pretty sure there have been numerous studoes done showing that texting and driving is at least as impairing as drinking and driving and likely more so.

But the focus is always on drimaking and driving because of horror story PR efforts by groups like MADD and the awesome revenue driver that DUIs are due to fines.
but it's perfectly fine for the police to text/call/use a fucking computer while cruising down the road at 20 mph over the speed limit.....

because they have training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFXterra View Post
It would be a great graph if vehicle safety design during that time period had remained static.
.
exactly. about that time is also when all of the drivers aids came about to keep people from fucking hitting things.

personally I can't wait until we're at a point when even $500 shitbox cars have handsfree. I put my phone in the center console and don't look at it. If someone calls I push a button on the steering wheel and I speak to them.
07-02-2018 08:09 AM
bigdummy30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
I leave for work around 5:45am, and fall/winter/spring when it's still dark i see glowing screens in over half the vehicles on the road. Some of these camp in the left lane doing 3mph under the speed limit... others i will pass 6 times on my 25 mile commute because ive got the cruise set and they constantly speed up/slow down... and at least once a week someone will ride my ass in the right lane using my vehicle as a marker. If it's still dark their face will glow a dull blue.

I dont even like commuting on my bike anymore.
Yep,someone commented earlier about "they drive slower and more carefully when they are texting". Yeah,we know because we F'ing sit behind you and watch you swerve back and forth.

Somehow the left lane has become the texting lane instead of the passing lane.
07-02-2018 07:37 AM
Johann Had to lay on the horn for a woman in front of me this morning. When the light turned green she started driving (eventually) with her cell in her right hand while steering and texting with her thumb.

She was waggling all over the road slowly in the left lane with a large truck to her right and line of traffic behind her. A danger to herself and others.

I do not get it. Maybe I don't have enough friends that need to be instantly texted back with something. Kinda glad for that actually.
07-02-2018 07:14 AM
MrShaft696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Machete don't text.
hahah give him a flip phone and he will....
07-02-2018 06:31 AM
Technohead
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
. . . So... in a modern society, what's the solution for this? . . .
Laws. Pass more laws that cannot be enforced. And then once everybody realizes those laws cannot be enforced pass more laws that require the driver's phone to disable itself when driving. QED.
07-02-2018 06:17 AM
45acp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
I sold mine. I had to ride so aggressive all the time it wasn't fun anymore.
That's on the to do list, just havent gotten around to it yet. The last time i didnt have a motorcycle i was 6 yrs old.
07-02-2018 06:09 AM
ky scrambled
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
I dont even like commuting on my bike anymore.
I sold mine. I had to ride so aggressive all the time it wasn't fun anymore.
07-02-2018 05:59 AM
45acp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy30 View Post
IMO it's worse numbers wise than drunk driving. At least drunk driving has a smaller demographic and time frame it happens.

I drive to work at about 5 AM and there are already people on their phones and it's all ages and types of people. I used to drive all day for work and figured it was only a matter of time until someone crossed the center line and took me out.

I especially love the people who defend their "right" to do it.
I leave for work around 5:45am, and fall/winter/spring when it's still dark i see glowing screens in over half the vehicles on the road. Some of these camp in the left lane doing 3mph under the speed limit... others i will pass 6 times on my 25 mile commute because ive got the cruise set and they constantly speed up/slow down... and at least once a week someone will ride my ass in the right lane using my vehicle as a marker. If it's still dark their face will glow a dull blue.

I dont even like commuting on my bike anymore.
This thread has more than 25 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.