Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - Reply to Topic
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat > Working for a pot grow operation, career suicide?
Notices

Thread: Working for a pot grow operation, career suicide? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
11-20-2019 05:37 PM
RedPurdueYJ If you work for a stupid ass in the future, it may hurt your chances. See this thread as an example.

If you work for someone that think for themself, you'll be fine. Had my boss over to my house for a pre harvest party. Forgot my bong was sitting out on my dining room table. He was surprised I smoke, evidently I dont look like the stoner type. Just said dont come to work high, dont get high at work, and keep fulfilling job duties as i am and he wont care.

Some people are cool with it. Some people are dumb as shit and not cool with it. Gotta figure out for yourself if you want to possibly limit yourself from working for a dumbass.
11-20-2019 05:27 PM
jeepyj-xj
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverNoob View Post
I'm going to get all Gary on you here:

There is not a single 'legal' State in existence. There isn't.

Marijuana is not legal on any speck of dirt in the United State and all of its possessions.
NO federally it's not legal but States laws can trump federal laws. You need to go do some reading on the laws of the land or go back to your American history classes from high school.
11-18-2019 04:07 PM
Grumpy356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
You're fucking silly if you don't think Presidents have not been getting high at the white house.
JFK FOR SURE got high at the white house. He had back problems stemming from his time in the Navy and self medicated.
11-18-2019 03:43 PM
Action Fab
Quote:
Originally Posted by surpip View Post
The most worrisome part of this conversation.
The shift I've seen in the past 2-3 years is very alarming.
11-18-2019 03:42 PM
Grumpy356 these guys had a great premise, but the fucked up the conclusion in my opinion

What's More Dangerous: Marijuana or Alcohol? A New Freakonomics Radio Podcast - Freakonomics Freakonomics

https://content.production.cdn.art19...cast041714.mp3
11-18-2019 03:38 PM
H8DWINGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverNoob View Post
Good ol' Strawman fallacy. Your argument rests on the idea that eveyone who drinks, drinks to excess.

It's all irrelevant. No one who does business with the Feds will hire a Cannabiz worker. If they do, you can bet you don't want to work for them because that'll be the tip of their bad-judgement iceberg.
No. My argument rests on the idea you said you wouldn't hire someone who previously worked for a marijuana company and you will specifically hire felons to work in a restaurant. Way to discriminate. It must be fun hiring and interviewing people. Sounds miserable to me.

I used a well educated friend as an example of someone you wouldn't hire. You said Winston Churchill was a drunk and his history is well documented. I guess you'd support being drunk on the job over not using marijuana and working for or with the federal government.

EDIT: TO the OP, just don't work for EverNoob and you'll most likely get another job elsewhere and have to explain what it's like working for a marijuana company to everyone in the interview because they're not willing to work there. They just want to know everything about it. Maybe you'll get someone to hire you who doesn't care about your previous employer and cares more about your ability to do the job they're looking for someone to do based on your qualifications.
11-18-2019 03:16 PM
EverNoob
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
You have refused to accept both were federal illegal then legalized and society says weed is bad but alcohol is good to a limit. You won't hire someone who worked for a weed company. You'll hire a guy who drinks as much alcohol as he can every night before passing out and showing up the next day.

You're right. It's my false equivalence that is the problem.
Good ol' Strawman fallacy. Your argument rests on the idea that eveyone who drinks, drinks to excess.

It's all irrelevant. No one who does business with the Feds will hire a Cannabiz worker. If they do, you can bet you don't want to work for them because that'll be the tip of their bad-judgement iceberg.
11-18-2019 02:56 PM
WTF? not a career suicide, but would undoubtedly reduce the number of opportunities open to you in the future to some extent in the long term.

So if it were me, there would need to be a significant increase in salary as 'hazard pay' for the reputational risk you're taking on going forward.

the future prospective employers who don't care if you worked in cannibis won't care there's no big upside to be realized.

Likely the only employer who would see it as an upside would be other companies in the MJ industry.

In pretty much every other industry, you can assume it might raise an eyebrow a reasonably significant number of employers, and as has been said- between two otherwise equal candidates, the guy who worked in the grow op would probably lose 9 times out of 10.


Additional consideration: are they going to pay you in cash? As i understand it, most legal grow operations can't get bank accounts. Not sure how far downstream that goes as far as banking the employees. If you run enough cash in and out of a bank you will eventually draw additional scrutiny and endure a hassle of 3 here or there..
11-18-2019 01:42 PM
not2hye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
Damn those local business people opening up businesses, what a fucking bunch of losers

It's funny that you are apparently incapable of separating losers sitting around smoking all day and some guy who wakes up in the morning, puts in a day at work and comes home, quite likely not even smoking pot (which a pre-employment drug test would let you know)
Fresno just passed a recreational deal.
Must have a “social equity” requirement to get a permit. Must be previously homeless, formerly incarcerated or in the foster care system to get a permit.
So yes, the city is only allowing losers to get the permits.
(Not all foster system kids are losers, but a large percentage of the ones I know....)
11-18-2019 12:30 PM
H8DWINGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverNoob View Post
False Equivalance seems to be getting real popular again lately. I have already explained why alcohol and weed are not the same, using objective metrics. Your failure to pay attention is not my problem.
You have refused to accept both were federal illegal then legalized and society says weed is bad but alcohol is good to a limit. You won't hire someone who worked for a weed company. You'll hire a guy who drinks as much alcohol as he can every night before passing out and showing up the next day.

You're right. It's my false equivalence that is the problem.
11-18-2019 10:05 AM
surpip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post

I'm also amazed at the number of people clinging to the federal government as their lord and savior
The most worrisome part of this conversation.
11-18-2019 09:39 AM
welndmn I would not worry about it unless you actually just look like a stoner.
11-18-2019 09:39 AM
SanDiegoCJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
Browsing linkedin jobs the other day and found a job that I meet just about all the criteria on. Very innocuous name, until I looked it up and turns out it's a pot grow operation. Further research shows they have done positive news stories on them ahead of the legalization here and evreyone looks "legit", not a bunch of hippies with dreads playing with pot plants. Curious to the p4x4 hireing managers out there, would this be suicide on a resume if you saw it, especially if It was a safety manager role? The role at the grow op is for a safety manager job.

Personally its dumb it isnt legal, and I havent partaked since college 15yrs ago to put this into some perspective.
It might be legal by state law, but the feds still say it's illegal. The feds could possibly bust the place, you included. A federal drug bust wouldn't look good on your resume. The chances of a federal bust ??? I have no idea, that's something you'd have to gauge for yourself.
11-18-2019 08:11 AM
Tin Roof I wouldn't worry about it. We were asked to help out with security equipment installation on a new grow facility in a neighboring state. I'm very familiar with the general contractor and at least one of the subs. They both do high profile work across the U.S., including very large projects for the .gov. Neither of them seem concerned at all with being associated with this project.
11-18-2019 01:37 AM
ev13wt In security, does it really matter what the business is?
No.
If you are a professional, I expect that the weed or whatever it is they do, is only relevant when you assess the variables of your future security processes...
11-17-2019 11:15 PM
TireFryerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
Ding ding ding, now fuck off and get out of my thread.

CG was always whining about how he was chronically unemployed down there via PMs with him, fuck the oil fields for safety, or any kind of employement.

There is plenty of jobs here, just curious to see what the concensus was here on pirate of cannabiz. While I think its dumb that shits illegal, pro pot people do annoy the fuck out of me with their "it cures evreything" meanwhile ignoring smoking it gives you lung cancer. Just admit it it makes you feel good and move on.
You're always so angry. You live in a liberal utopia man, you should be sunshine and smiles all the time.

You are the perfect safety cunt though, thinking you're superior to everyone else.




P. S. OP is a fag
11-17-2019 07:16 PM
ndsgr I don't know about working for a business, but as a fed employee, I can't even contribute to a long time friend who is getting into the cannabis business.

Side note, just to stir the pot, he is a fucking loser; but we hope his motivation to "cure cancer n' shit" will at least keep him from stealing motorcycles and swapping VIN plates.
11-17-2019 06:54 PM
Crisbee1
11-17-2019 05:28 PM
Gslander
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
Because Im just a stupid fucking trucker and all I know how to do is "slam gears", so that must've been the types of jobs I was refering to.
Ding ding ding, now fuck off and get out of my thread.

CG was always whining about how he was chronically unemployed down there via PMs with him, fuck the oil fields for safety, or any kind of employement.

There is plenty of jobs here, just curious to see what the concensus was here on pirate of cannabiz. While I think its dumb that shits illegal, pro pot people do annoy the fuck out of me with their "it cures evreything" meanwhile ignoring smoking it gives you lung cancer. Just admit it it makes you feel good and move on.
11-17-2019 03:24 PM
DirtyComanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
I am capable of separating the two but would give the advantage to the guy who didnt just work at the pot grow. What I said in my op was if that was the only difference between 2 potential employees I would give it to the guy who didnt work their.

If there wasnt this stigma the op would have never asked the question.
Agreed. The stigma exists, and it exists for a reason.

I'd personally probably automagically round file resumes with any time at a pot related business, but for a safety stooge it's not a big deal to me, if anything it's perfect if he just loafs around all day eating the cookies and donuts that are brought in. Hell, we'll make sure they're always in the office side so he never goes on the floor.

Why? Well, I don't know anyone who works at the brewery and doesn't partake in the evil of alcohol. So I could only assume the same logic should apply. And in my business you have to pass a drug test or your clients drop you, since they often do on site testing. Almost all the people I know who smoke weed see no issues with doing it before working, driving, etc, and will tell you it cures cancer or that it's "all natural" if you say that's unacceptable.

I'm now bracing for a horde of angry stoners (who claim their addiction doesn't make them angry) to attack me.
11-17-2019 03:12 PM
2big bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
Damn those local business people opening up businesses, what a fucking bunch of losers

It's funny that you are apparently incapable of separating losers sitting around smoking all day and some guy who wakes up in the morning, puts in a day at work and comes home, quite likely not even smoking pot (which a pre-employment drug test would let you know)


I am capable of separating the two but would give the advantage to the guy who didnt just work at the pot grow with all else being equal.

If there wasnt this stigma the op would have never asked the question.
11-17-2019 02:42 PM
Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
"BECAUSE", that's why...... You know, the type of answer parents give to their kids when they really don't have a good excuse. You no habla the english?
you apparenty hit the nail on the head

I'm also amazed at the number of people clinging to the federal government as their lord and savior
11-17-2019 02:40 PM
Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
So like others have said - just because a state has declared that they won't enforce a Federal Statute, grow operations are still violating Federal Law. If you ever plan on (or can see a situation where)

-you might pursue Federal employment/service
-you might seek work with a company that has to conform to federal standards/is governed/licensed by a federal agency
-you might seek work with a company that contracts with the federal government

stay away from breaking federal law. It would be an automatic disqualifier.

If you don't care - NBD. But it's getting harder and harder to find folks, especially in pot-legal states, that can meet federal requirements for jobs, and pay premiums are starting to pop up. Maybe it is the new market inefficiency! Ask CDL drivers in CO - pay is headed up to try to attract drivers because nobody can pass a panel anymore.
again, there is a big difference between working a legit job for a grow op and being someone who can't pass a pre-employment drug test
11-17-2019 02:40 PM
Crisbee1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
So like others have said - just because a state has declared that they won't enforce a Federal Statute, grow operations are still violating Federal Law. If you ever plan on (or can see a situation where)

-you might pursue Federal employment/service
-you might seek work with a company that has to conform to federal standards/is governed/licensed by a federal agency
-you might seek work with a company that contracts with the federal government

stay away from breaking federal law. It would be an automatic disqualifier.

If you don't care - NBD. But it's getting harder and harder to find folks, especially in pot-legal states, that can meet federal requirements for jobs, and pay premiums are starting to pop up. Maybe it is the new market inefficiency! Ask CDL drivers in CO - pay is headed up to try to attract drivers because nobody can pass a panel anymore.
Disagree, Many of folks out there maintaining security clearances with checkered backgrounds, If you lie to them your screwed and will never get in.
If you are straight up and the background check verifys this and you have a skill they need, no problem.
11-17-2019 02:38 PM
Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Because I associate weed and anything to do with it with a "lower class" of people. Almost everyone I knew in highschool that smoked weed regularly were losers. These are also the same people that got excited for it to be legalized. Guess who started the local weed shops and sit around stoned all day?

Now in reality are they all a "lower class" of people? Of course not. But living somewhere where it has been mostly legal for a while this is the perception I have and believe many others have also.
Damn those local business people opening up businesses, what a fucking bunch of losers

It's funny that you are apparently incapable of separating losers sitting around smoking all day and some guy who wakes up in the morning, puts in a day at work and comes home, quite likely not even smoking pot (which a pre-employment drug test would let you know)
This thread has more than 25 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.