Screwed on bucklist acquisition - need advice bad. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 533962
Screwed on bucklist acquisition - need advice bad.

Hi, ya'll,

Really bummed right now. Saved a lot of loot (well to me it's a lot) drove to NJ and purchased a pretty sweet (or so i though) 86' Cj. Partly because my son was born in that year and he's never asked anything of me and has been the best friend I could ever imagine. Anyhow, this winter we were planning on taking our first vaca' in 29 years and drive what Seemed to be a great running jeep all the way from the Keweenaw down to Naples FLA and do a fishing charter for a few hondo... drink some craft beers and just have great time together. More than likley the last road-trip we'd take.

Well, the CJ is pretty tight and the fella really did a sweet job on it - the body. Some boo - boo's but those ai can fix or my son can eventually take care of em'. The engine however... Ran great to me. Looked super clean... no sloppy looking stuff under the hood ... what do I know. However, after driving it back from NJ all the way up to the Upee it still seems fine. Then I decided to have it checked out by a very reputable young fella who is living a dream I once had to be a mechanic because when I was a kid (real young) I had a great neighbor who had a nice shop in the neighborhood and at the time was the coolest guy ever I had thought. Life changed and well, that dream faded.

i've always ever since did most all maintenence on my rigs except when it came to engine surgery. So I still like tinkering but that is for the pro's of which I'm not and I hope to discover someone who is here.

After the engine was inspected (so I can do this bucket-list thing/vaca with my son) the news wasn't good. All 6 pistons in this SD33T are cracked. We first did a compression test and from that unfortunate diagnosis a rebuild became the present option. As of today... Craig also discoverd the head was cracked!

Its an engine from an 80' Scout as the pro's probably already figured out which has the T19/dana300 driveline.

I figured (dumb I know) at the time of purchase that this engine might be decent on fuel (little slow speed wise) and plenty of tire twistin' torque for those occasional off-road fun times and so here I am boo hooin' and really have no clue what to do or what kinda coin it will take to do something lasting.

I need wisdom that frankly I just dont have! I wish I did... but I don't.

I have about 4k and some change to make this all right but again no clue what might be right. Is a 4bt Cummins stupid? Do I forget the mileage thing and connect up a V8? i still like the diesel idea - personally but then again I have only the means for an engine and not the means to replace the rest of the driveline. Is their an option?! I just don't know. Much of what I read is rather greek to one as myself that does great brake jobs etc but my abilities are now very limited.

Sorry for the long windedness and the long story... Yet, if you've read to this point and have that wisdom would you consider sharing it please or pass this along to maybe someone you know may have it and is willing to share it?

Thank you so much!
Sincerely,
bloo'
Bloobeem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oh Jesus Tits....

Member # 17554
SD33's were put in a lot of forklifts and other implements. There's still hope to find another one.

Here's one in Florida:
Nissan SD33T Turbo Diesel Engine Trans Overdrive | eBay

here's another in GA: (pricey, but there's a make an offer option)
Nissan SD33 Diesel Engine | eBay
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 533962
SD33t nah

Just from pokin' around and learning from others... don't really see the value in it now. Had I done more home work prior to the purchase... well the SD I'd use for a boat anchor.

That much I now know.

A much lighter and more readily available swap seems the Cummins 4Bt. Parts are not nearly as difficult to find.

I also learned just recently that there are basically 2 T19's. On manufactured for the Nissan and one for Ford engines. Someone tells me that the T19 I Have currently will not bolt up with a 4BT. Needed is the Ford model.

Still not sure what to do.

Anyhow thanks for the links brother. That was way cool! Maybe if I lived in Austrailia I'd do a Nissan again. Nit here tho. And also it seems the heads crack quite often from poking around this cool site and another. So "nah" and dang this engine was clean as a whistle from the outside. Probably should have suspected as much. So dumb.
Bloobeem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Sorry to hear about your luck.

I doubt the 4bt is lighter, they are like 800lbs fully outfitted.

The SD33's also came in Jeep CJ-10 Tugs, so that may also be where the engine came from and another donor to look for if you decide to keep it.

OM617 from a Mercedes might be another swap option. Lighter then a 4bt and can be adapted to a few different tranny/t-case combos.
boardbysled is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in