03 Frontier lift question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18750
03 Frontier lift question

My buddy wants to lift his frontier to fit 33's or maybe 35's later down the road.
What vendor is out there that has a 3" to 4" lift?
What gears should he get with the tire sizes above?
What extra will he need?
Old 01-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Under Powered

Member # 19543
The biggest suspension lift will get you 3". AC (4x4parts.com) and Calmini are the respected brands. To fit bigger than a 33" tire he will need a body lift as well, a 3" will help him fit 35" tires with some fender trimming. For gearing it will depend on what he has for axles now. The H233 axle (HG axle code in door jamb) can be geared up to 5.13 which he will want for 35" tires. Factory ratios are 4.363, 4.636, and 4.90. The last two digits of the axle code will tell him what he has. If he has the C200 axle (code CA) then he will want to swap the axle out to change gear ratios. The axle is weaker and has no gearing options.

The only other thing he will definitely want to do is strengthen the steering system. The centerlink and tie rods are pretty weak. Calmini has a complete steering system available. AC offers an idler arm brace. There are a couple small outfits offering centerlinks with better pivots that folks have had good success with.

Stock, these are pretty tough trucks. With a small lift, steering fix, and lockers these will surprise folks with what they can do. Parts choices are narrow: bumpers, skids, sliders are only available from a few places. Lockers come from ARB unless you get creative with parts swapping from some older Nissan trucks (opens up options for a Detroit, Lock Right). Locking hubs can be had from Warn or many stock options from older trucks).

Have your friend visit nissan4wheelers.com or clubfrontier.org to get more ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by onlyonedr; 01-03-2015 at 06:20 AM.
onlyonedr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 18750
Thanks for the info I will forward this info to him.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 238978
I don't know much about that truck other than I would like to have one. But I could not find anything other than small stuff for my 89 Hardbody. I bought a 3.0" lift from Jimmy Baja in Ohio last year.

The kit I have is a bit expensive but has been great. My truck does much better in the snow now, Pretty impressive for 2wd. It now fits 30/950s BFG with excellent clearance without a body lift. I Know he makes a Long Travel kit and some other stuff but is really expensive.

This should be is his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/nissanbaja.kit
2WD Hardbody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
KBC

Member # 233802
You can get a cheap front locker called the Lokka. Basically an aussie locker. I put one in the front of my Xterra recently.
KBC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 445066
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WD Hardbody View Post
I don't know much about that truck other than I would like to have one. But I could not find anything other than small stuff for my 89 Hardbody. I bought a 3.0" lift from Jimmy Baja in Ohio last year.

The kit I have is a bit expensive but has been great. My truck does much better in the snow now, Pretty impressive for 2wd. It now fits 30/950s BFG with excellent clearance without a body lift. I Know he makes a Long Travel kit and some other stuff but is really expensive.

This should be is his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/nissanbaja.kit
How much was the kit and shipping?

I've been reading and searching here and the net for my 3" lifting project to our '04 frontier 4x4 crew cab and targeting 33" tire. So far seems http://4wheelonline.com has best package, especially for calmini but still exploring other good options. How was it so far?

Last edited by carbonprint; 01-21-2015 at 07:20 PM.
carbonprint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 238978
It seems real decent with stock torsions. I just got a drive shaft made and found a 2wd V6 rear axle 233b, a hard find indeed. I then Pulled a LSD 4.6 third member from a 95 Pathfinder at the junk yard and what a pain.

I want to get the longer spring packs but just have the shackles and upper arms for now. After I get this axle in I am planning for bigger tires like 32 or 33". I will cut out the bed wheel wells if I have too and see what happens. It's the best little truck I ever had and I think it will be great for some off road use since there is a lot of sand rails hear. I was thinking of doing my 92 Toyota 2wd but after some pretty deep research I decided on the 89 Hardbody instead since it's more compatible to later models. It appears Toyota changed front end designs in 96.

I want to be able to reuse it on a newer truck some day so I am doing the Nissan.

Last edited by 2WD Hardbody; 01-26-2015 at 12:47 PM.
2WD Hardbody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in