Ford HP44 on 57" leafs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 503194
Ford HP44 on 57" leafs

Has anyone on here done a SAS using the hp ford front 44 and used the stock ford 57" leaf springs? I'm looking for some pictures of the leaf spring setup and how you guys located the axle. I see lots of wagoneer swaps but not many using the HP44 and its leafs.

Pics for your entertainment.

Last edited by synbiotic12; 01-05-2016 at 11:57 AM.
synbiotic12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oh Jesus Tits....

Member # 17554
Those leaf springs would have to mount out about 6" in front of the bumper to work. Way too long. I'm running Alcan springs that are about 44" long in front...basically a stock chevy spec spring pack but with more thinner leaves for better flex.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 503194
I've only just realized how long they are recently, but honestly I do still plan to use them. The truck is going to be a dedicated offroad vehicle and won't see very much pavement. It might not look the best but I'll probably still use them.
I have the steel for the fab work and I'll cut back the rockers more if I have to. You can see above I have a custom fabbed bumper so if I have to relocate that slightly forward to improve the look I can just do that.
I really hope it's not that far though

Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 136471
I agree with D-RAT, way too long for the front. Your front spring hanger will have to stick way out which will kill your approach angle. I run Toyota rear's with a 20 7/8" front eye to center pin measurement and my approach angle still sucks even with a 36" tire. Not to mention any larger of a tire would get into the firewall.
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Oh Jesus Tits....

Member # 17554
Yeah, you don't have a lot of wiggle room to move things backward, as you'll encroach on the door opening. Because of this most Nissan SAS's move the axle forward of the stock location a couple inches for tire clearance, which would make the front hanger stick out even further.

Scrap the idea...it's not gonna work well and it'll look like ass. Run shorter leaves or do a coil setup.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 103621
A few of us Toyota guys have ran the 57" fords up front. Yeah they stick out a little bit, but with the winch up front you wont even notice. I ran mine short side forward. I was on a d60 so not exactly the same as your setup. Only problem I had was axle wrap. Broke a few 1410 u-joints until I linked it.

Flexed pretty well though

Old 01-08-2016, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 138007
Im running custom made 54" leafs up front, one problem I can see with the 57's is as was said you'll have to mount the front in front of the bumper. My 54's were just long enough that they line up right where the frame swings outward, but if the springs were 3" longer you'd either have to outboard the spring or push the front forward.

Since I have custom leafs and full hydro my spring pins are drilled about 4" further forward than stock, otherwise my 42's hit the frame real bad and the trimmed wheel well (I can't go any further back or im into the foot space for the driver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IslandPath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 503194
I really do get what you guys are saying, but I'm leaning towards not scrapping what I already have as I've already got money and time sunk into those leafs. I lined it up yesterday and honestly with my front bumper it won't stick out that far.
I have lots of plate steel and square stock here so I can even extend my bumper 1" or so further and tie everything in together.
The truck has a 3" body lift currently, so I'm not extremely worried about clearance near the doors, and my rockers have already been trimmed back slightly for clearance.
I agree my approach angle may suffer, but with the full width f150 axle I think i'll still do fine. Aiming for ~6* of caster
Old 01-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 130105
Push them forward and build a traction bar. I ran Chevy 52s under an Xterra. I've heard good things about the 57s and wouldn't be scared to give them a shot if running at least a 37" tire.
Midget28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 138007
Don't get me wrong, I love being told not to do something or I can't. One of the reasons I built a Nissan on Tons infact, at the time it was one of the first and a lot of the Toyota guys rolled their eyes at me.

Im sure you can do it, its just gonna be some extra fuckin around. The reason Im using 52's was because those were the ones I had!

Make sure you go with 14" shocks, you're gonna get some crazy droop out of leafs that long.

Another tip I have for you is take some bedframe, make some shackles with multiple holes in them so you can get your shackle angle perfect and ride height beauty before your spend the time making proper shackles. I think my front shackles are only 4" long since I wanted to keep overall height low. I started with 6" and that was just waay too tall in the front.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 135493
If you can find a set, a set of 56"chevy rear leafs out of the suburban with offset center pins would push you forward to compensate for the new block you'll have to weld in place.
94pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 138007
I havent noticed any talk yet of steering. What is your plan? People keep telling you to shift the spring forward as much as possible or offset your springpins but you will be limited by your steering box if you plan on running highsteer/manual steering.

In my case since I was running full hydro I could put my axle wherever I wanted due to no fixed steering linkage. Keep that in mind as you go, you'll be limited by your steering box and the length of your pitman arm, if you put a shorter arm on then you open a new can of worms with your steering.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 503194
I decided to go ahead with this anyway and have the leafs set in right at 6* of caster. Steering wise i'm going with a full crossover high steer so I should be able to set the drag link where it needs to be with the high steer arms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in